Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scotlands Politics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2011 - 4:28 PM

Will an independent Scotland be paying for the bailout of RBS and HBOS?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 May 2011 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2011 - 4:57 PM

Quote: Just heard on Sky news that a in a recent poll, English voters were more likely than Scottish voters to vote for Scottish independence.

It's just so they can move up here afterwards to a country that's governed properly. Wink

Haha! Neat .. 8-]

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2011 - 8:49 PM

Quote: So do you want independance or not?

As I said

Quote: when the referendum comes round........Iíll vote for Independence

What I want is for the country I live in to be governed for what it is & can be (& I know we may not need independence for that to happen) but when my Prime Minister insists he will fight that concept with every fibre in his body then he doesn't leave much wiggle room does he!

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Quote: Will an independent Scotland be paying for the bailout of RBS and HBOS?

only if Westminster gives us back the oil money it has squandered on nuclear weapons and pretending to be the world's policeman Tongue

Besides, I think if you looked at share ownership you'd find HBOS and RBS were Scottish in name only.

Last Modified By fraser at 8 May 2011 - 10:22 PM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 9:25 AM

Quote: Besides, I think if you looked at share ownership you'd find HBOS and RBS were Scottish in name only.

Possibly, but the governance of RBS was firmly rooted in Edinburgh. Many of their problems stemmed from the megalomaniac ambitions of Fred Goodwin and his inner coterie.

When the Halifax BS were on their own they were a good company to deal with. Once they (effectively) took over BOS the whole ethos of the enlarged company changed and they became a much more hard-nosed profit driven customer unfriendly entity. I suspect a lot of this attitude change came from the BOS side, even though they were the junior partner.

roxpix
9 May 2011 - 9:32 AM

Thatís interesting, I found that BoS went downhill quickly when Halifax took over, far more process led & inflexible & the introduction of replacement password processes were particularly frustrating to deal with meaning we had to change perfectly good passwords just to align with the new bosses

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

Quote: Thatís interesting, I found that BoS went downhill quickly when Halifax took over, far more process led & inflexible & the introduction of replacement password processes were particularly frustrating to deal with meaning we had to change perfectly good passwords just to align with the new bosses

I have to agree with you there. The BoS was a great bank until the merger/takeover. I have no idea what Halifax was like beforehand but things with HBoS got so bad my wife and I moved our accounts to another bank. We kept being told services we had used for years were being discontinued or that there would now be a hefty charge for them.

We just assumed it was the influence of Halifax but it looks as though their customers were feeling just as disgruntled.

Quote: What I want is for the country I live in to be governed for what it is & can be (& I know we may not need independence for that to happen) but when my Prime Minister insists he will fight that concept with every fibre in his body then he doesn't leave much wiggle room does he!

I also agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Thanks for expressing it so well.

Ewan

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

It appears the great majority (70-75%) of Scots currently don't want independence. Alex Salmond does, however, want power - he is one of the most power-hungry politicians in the UK!

I suspect, although he'd never admit it, Mr S would rather everyone forgets about a referendum. After all, if the SNP recommend independence and it is firmly rejected, it would be akin to a Clegg/AV referendum scenario. I.e. Salmond could be severely weakened.

roxpix
9 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Quote: Alex Salmond does, however, want power - he is one of the most power-hungry politicians in the UK!

Wonít matter too much to Salmond as it'll happen towards the end of his 2nd term & he couldnít stand for a third term anyway........but I guess it wouldnít exclude him from being Prime Minister, so I guess if he's power hungry he'll need it to succeed! Tongue

roxpix
9 May 2011 - 7:18 PM

Now thatís some reaction!

All three opposing party leaders culled in one election

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 7:35 PM

Yyyyyyupppppp.

Talk about a knockout.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 8:59 PM

They're going off to sulk - because the voting system, designed to stop the SNP from getting a majority, failed to do so! Grin

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Actually it was designed to stop any party from getting a majority, & most commentators are still scratching their heads as to how the SNP managed it. Even Slippery Salmond was taken aback by the result.
I think the only one sulking is Tavish Scott, he rersigned in a fit of pique. Ian Grey had to go, he was an unmitigated disaster even before the election, & Annabel Goldie ( who was probably the best leader after SS) has been subjected to a private backstabbing campaign by the more basic backwoods Tories virtually since she was elected leader.

Carabosse
10 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Quote: Actually it was designed to stop any party from getting a majority

Well that may have been the 'collateral damage' but it was primarily to stop the SNP. Otherwise why not FPTP?

adrian_w
10 May 2011 - 3:06 PM

Because that would have given Labour an massive majority in the first parliament.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.