Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scotlands Politics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 May 2011 - 4:48 PM

Quote: Because that would have given Labour an massive majority in the first parliament.

Since when have either of the main parties been worried about that?! Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 May 2011 - 4:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robob
robob  101022 forum posts England
12 May 2011 - 1:43 PM

After last nights events at Tynecastle, it seems Alex Salmond has got a lot of work ahead of him. It's not just the English suffering at the hands of the bigots.

Last Modified By robob at 12 May 2011 - 1:54 PM
fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 2:53 PM

Quote: After last nights events at Tynecastle, it seems Alex Salmond has got a lot of work ahead of him. It's not just the English suffering at the hands of the bigots.

Aye, that sort of behaviour puts all Scots to shame. It seems there was a poisonous atmosphere at the match throughout by all accounts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 3:00 PM

I know it is a bit of a diversion but, as someone who does not follow football, I can't understand why this individual has been subjected to (apparently) about 10 years of hatred.......... including a parcel bomb. What he done to deserve it?

robob
robob  101022 forum posts England
12 May 2011 - 3:05 PM

He's catholic.

Last Modified By robob at 12 May 2011 - 3:32 PM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73305 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 3:10 PM

He's also combative & pugnacious & likes to pick an argument over nothing. A bit like Salmond actually.

Carabosse
12 May 2011 - 3:11 PM

Quote: He's catholic.

Er, yes and in charge of a (traditionally) catholic-supported team of which he used to be captain. All as I understand it - I'm not an expert!

Why do people seem to have a problem with that?

Quote: He's also combative & pugnacious & likes to pick an argument over nothing

I'm told Sir Alex is a bit like that as well, but he doesn't get parcel bombs!

Last Modified By Carabosse at 12 May 2011 - 3:14 PM
roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 3:21 PM

It could be that last nightís disgraceful Ďassaultí might be completely unrelated to the ongoing incidents of bullets/bombs etc

It was only a day earlier that the Celtic boss as good as accused last nightís opponents of cheating & despite back peddling he hasnít apologised.
Obviously not any measure of justification for what the guy in the crowd did, but worth pointing out that however flawed the reasoning, the spark for it may have nothing to do with the parcel bombs

fraser
12 May 2011 - 3:46 PM

Lennon's particular problems are derived from his NI Roman Catholic origins and Ranger's NI protestant fan-base, none of which excuses the mindless hate he is subjected to (I speak as a Rangers fan). Hearts also have a largely protestant fan-base, albeit Edinburgh isn't as badly riddled with bigots of both persuasions as the west of Scotland. I suspect last night's stupidity was partly brought on by the religious connections, drink, and Lennon's accusations that Hearts didn't "compete" with Rangers during last week's match.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 3:55 PM

Quote: It could be that last nightís disgraceful Ďassaultí might be completely unrelated to the ongoing incidents of bullets/bombs etc

I agree, but all these events are related in the sense that they are bound up with the bigotry that exists in certain elements of Scottish society and who use football as a vehicle to express their hatred. And the horrible thing is that it has been around for a helluva long time and will take more than a few political initiatives to eradicate.

As a protestant Celtic supporter who grew up just outside Glasgow during the 1960s/1970s I got serious grief from both sides at times. Although none if it compares, even in the slightest, to what Neil Lennon is enduring my blood still runs cold at some of the things that were said to me during that time.

Good luck Alex (Salmond) - you're going to need it.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73305 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 4:19 PM

Quote: Hearts also have a largely protestant fan-base, albeit Edinburgh isn't as badly riddled with bigots of both persuasions as the west of Scotland.

The Hearts fans were singing the "Billy Boys" last night, which even the Rangers fans don't do now.
I know the Hearts /Hibs divide is more about football than religion but it still comes to a fore when Hearts play Celtic, probably because Celtic are more closely aligned with Irish catholicism.

Carabosse
12 May 2011 - 4:26 PM

The read-across to Scottish politics may be worrying if independence ever becomes a reality. Without a common "enemy", viz. England or rule from Westminster anyway, could Scots turn in on themselves?

I read somewhere that politics in the peaceful, neutral and very independent Switzerland is quite vicious and nasty. Perhaps our members based there could confirm this or otherwise.

fraser
12 May 2011 - 5:53 PM

Quote: The read-across to Scottish politics may be worrying if independence ever becomes a reality. Without a common "enemy", viz. England or rule from Westminster anyway, could Scots turn in on themselves?

I read somewhere that politics in the peaceful, neutral and very independent Switzerland is quite vicious and nasty. Perhaps our members based there could confirm this or otherwise.

The way these thigs are reported does, in a sense, blow them out of proportion. I'm not saying we don't have a problem but it is generally localised and is on the way out. And no, we would not turn on ourselves.

Snapper
Snapper  93736 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 5:55 PM

Quote: The read-across to Scottish politics may be worrying if independence ever becomes a reality. Without a common "enemy", viz. England or rule from Westminster anyway, could Scots turn in on themselves?

No. There is no "read-across" to be done and spurious use of the word "enemy" isn't justified at all.

Last Modified By Snapper at 12 May 2011 - 5:56 PM
Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2011 - 6:37 PM

I agree with the posts from Fraser and Snapper. In any case a move towards Scottish independence would arise from pro-Scottish sentiments rather than anti-English ones.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.