Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Scotlands Politics

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 May 2011 4:48PM

Quote:Because that would have given Labour an massive majority in the first parliament.

Since when have either of the main parties been worried about that?! Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robob 11 1.0k England
12 May 2011 1:43PM
After last nights events at Tynecastle, it seems Alex Salmond has got a lot of work ahead of him. It's not just the English suffering at the hands of the bigots.
fraser 10 631 14 Scotland
12 May 2011 2:53PM

Quote:After last nights events at Tynecastle, it seems Alex Salmond has got a lot of work ahead of him. It's not just the English suffering at the hands of the bigots.

Aye, that sort of behaviour puts all Scots to shame. It seems there was a poisonous atmosphere at the match throughout by all accounts.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 May 2011 3:00PM
I know it is a bit of a diversion but, as someone who does not follow football, I can't understand why this individual has been subjected to (apparently) about 10 years of hatred.......... including a parcel bomb. What he done to deserve it?
robob 11 1.0k England
12 May 2011 3:05PM
He's catholic.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
12 May 2011 3:10PM
He's also combative & pugnacious & likes to pick an argument over nothing. A bit like Salmond actually.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 May 2011 3:11PM

Quote:He's catholic.

Er, yes and in charge of a (traditionally) catholic-supported team of which he used to be captain. All as I understand it - I'm not an expert!

Why do people seem to have a problem with that?

Quote:He's also combative & pugnacious & likes to pick an argument over nothing

I'm told Sir Alex is a bit like that as well, but he doesn't get parcel bombs!
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
12 May 2011 3:21PM
It could be that last nightís disgraceful Ďassaultí might be completely unrelated to the ongoing incidents of bullets/bombs etc

It was only a day earlier that the Celtic boss as good as accused last nightís opponents of cheating & despite back peddling he hasnít apologised.
Obviously not any measure of justification for what the guy in the crowd did, but worth pointing out that however flawed the reasoning, the spark for it may have nothing to do with the parcel bombs
12 May 2011 3:46PM
Lennon's particular problems are derived from his NI Roman Catholic origins and Ranger's NI protestant fan-base, none of which excuses the mindless hate he is subjected to (I speak as a Rangers fan). Hearts also have a largely protestant fan-base, albeit Edinburgh isn't as badly riddled with bigots of both persuasions as the west of Scotland. I suspect last night's stupidity was partly brought on by the religious connections, drink, and Lennon's accusations that Hearts didn't "compete" with Rangers during last week's match.
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
12 May 2011 3:55PM

Quote:It could be that last nightís disgraceful Ďassaultí might be completely unrelated to the ongoing incidents of bullets/bombs etc

I agree, but all these events are related in the sense that they are bound up with the bigotry that exists in certain elements of Scottish society and who use football as a vehicle to express their hatred. And the horrible thing is that it has been around for a helluva long time and will take more than a few political initiatives to eradicate.

As a protestant Celtic supporter who grew up just outside Glasgow during the 1960s/1970s I got serious grief from both sides at times. Although none if it compares, even in the slightest, to what Neil Lennon is enduring my blood still runs cold at some of the things that were said to me during that time.

Good luck Alex (Salmond) - you're going to need it.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
12 May 2011 4:19PM

Quote:Hearts also have a largely protestant fan-base, albeit Edinburgh isn't as badly riddled with bigots of both persuasions as the west of Scotland.

The Hearts fans were singing the "Billy Boys" last night, which even the Rangers fans don't do now.
I know the Hearts /Hibs divide is more about football than religion but it still comes to a fore when Hearts play Celtic, probably because Celtic are more closely aligned with Irish catholicism.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 May 2011 4:26PM
The read-across to Scottish politics may be worrying if independence ever becomes a reality. Without a common "enemy", viz. England or rule from Westminster anyway, could Scots turn in on themselves?

I read somewhere that politics in the peaceful, neutral and very independent Switzerland is quite vicious and nasty. Perhaps our members based there could confirm this or otherwise.
12 May 2011 5:53PM

Quote:The read-across to Scottish politics may be worrying if independence ever becomes a reality. Without a common "enemy", viz. England or rule from Westminster anyway, could Scots turn in on themselves?

I read somewhere that politics in the peaceful, neutral and very independent Switzerland is quite vicious and nasty. Perhaps our members based there could confirm this or otherwise.

The way these thigs are reported does, in a sense, blow them out of proportion. I'm not saying we don't have a problem but it is generally localised and is on the way out. And no, we would not turn on ourselves.
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
12 May 2011 5:55PM

Quote:The read-across to Scottish politics may be worrying if independence ever becomes a reality. Without a common "enemy", viz. England or rule from Westminster anyway, could Scots turn in on themselves?

No. There is no "read-across" to be done and spurious use of the word "enemy" isn't justified at all.
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
12 May 2011 6:37PM

I agree with the posts from Fraser and Snapper. In any case a move towards Scottish independence would arise from pro-Scottish sentiments rather than anti-English ones.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.