Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Scottish Photo locations

Alan_Coles e2
9 176 11 Wales
30 Aug 2009 11:37AM
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting up to Scotland shortly for a week (maybe longer, depending) I am definelty heading to Skye but I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for some photo locations there and on the way - I will be driving up. Don't think I will be climbing any big hills as my general fitness levels are not great at the moment. Seen a few wonderful shots of the Totternish area and wondered is there much climbing to get these views? Never been to Scotland and quite looking forward to it - hope the weather and midgies don't spoil it.

Thanks
Alan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
30 Aug 2009 12:07PM
Well the midgies will probably have gone in a few weeks as it'll be too cold, but on the off chance you could get hold of some Avon Skin-So-Soft (I would appear to be the only freak allergic to it, but it does seem to work for everyone else, and was working on me before the eczema broke out!).

Eilean Donan Castle is just over the bridge from Skye on the mainland. There's a car park at the local community centre where everyone takes 'that shot'.

Elgol gives good views of the Cuillins and some surrounding islands.

There's the Fairy Pools at Glen Brittle (btw, the path is opposite the carpark on the other side of the road, it would have been nice if someone had told me that before I trekked 8 miles going the wrong way, there's no sign!)

There's Neist Point lighthouse, which requires a bit of a walk down as you park at the very top of a hill, but there's a paved path all the way.

There's good views of Harris from the road north of Uig at Rubha Huinish

There's the Old Man Of Storr - this requires a walk part way up Storr, but not actually the scrambling bits up and the alternative route down, and there's a car park just at the bottom by the path.

There's some nice views on the Portree to Broadford road, with numerous stopping places on the way down.

There's the bridge at Sligachan.

Don't forget Glen Coe on the way up/back where you too can get that Black Rock cottage shot that everyone so adores, and, of course, That Tree on Rannoch Moor.

I'd planned to visit a lot more than I did when I was there a few weeks ago, but the weather wasn't terribly compliant! I'd also point you to the photos I took, but, erm, I haven't actually processed them yet, that's this weekend's project!
Alan_Coles e2
9 176 11 Wales
30 Aug 2009 2:43PM
Thanks Katy,

Have started to compile a list of places I want to see/photograph...just hope it all comes together now....including the weather !!
rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
30 Aug 2009 4:00PM
Just remember to leave plenty of time to get places, there's quite a lot of single track roads on Skye, for example from Broadford to Elgol, from Corbost to Glen Brittle, from Dunvegan to Neist Point, and bits of the road from Portree to Storr. I had everything carefully planned, and it all went out the window with the weather lol.

Oh, and the petrol station in Broadford at the Co-Op is the cheapest on the island.
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2009 5:32PM

Quote:
(btw, the path is opposite the carpark on the other side of the road, it would have been nice if someone had told me that before I trekked 8 miles going the wrong way, there's no sign!)

What, you mean that big brown finger post on the other side of the road, pointing up to the hills with 'To the Fairy Pools' written on it ?

Wink
30 Aug 2009 6:26PM
Alan

Trotternish is relatively easy - the ridge can be viewed best from the car park above Staffin at the Quiraing. Park the car and walk into the Quiraing for the view along the ridge, but be careful of your footing especially at the rocky traverse where the path crosses a small gorge. Alternatively you can clim the hills on the same side as the car park, but the views aren't so good.

BTW, the Old Man of Storr route up is quite tough if you're not so fit. It can take 1.5 hours to walk up.

The view of Neist and the rocks can be had from the cliffs to the right of the car park, avoiding that long walk down to the lighthouse - I think the cliff view is better.

Can I suggest if you are heading out yourself that you leave details on your car as to where you are going ? - that way if you get into trouble, they have a chance of finding you...

Enjoy - may see you up there..
rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
30 Aug 2009 10:22PM

Quote:
What, you mean that big brown finger post on the other side of the road, pointing up to the hills with 'To the Fairy Pools' written on it ?

There isn't one there, or at least not about 6 weeks ago. According to the locals there hasn't been for a long time. There is a very small sign pointing the path to Sligachan, but that's your lot.
30 Aug 2009 11:57PM
I had the same confusion there in May - car park sign for Fairy Pools and a pathway from the car park, but heading the wrong way, it is indeed across the road and along the pathway leading up into the hills. It was only my mate who insisted in was that way, otherwise I'd have gone in completely the wrong direction.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.