Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scottish referendum.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ChrisJD
ChrisJD  493 forum posts Scotland
16 Feb 2014 - 5:36 PM

I'm Scottish and proud of it. But I don't want to be independent from the rest of the UK.

- I don't fancy a new currency
- Salmond is smug sanctimonious self serving man. But he's a very dangerous man. I don't want him representing me.
- There are few politicians whom I actually respect and none of them are in the SNP.
- My employer is a large English bank. I'm not sure what would happen in the event of independence; would they pull out? It's been hinted.

I'm very concerned about the fact that 16 and 17 years olds will be voting in the referendum. In my experience they all think it's a great thing to be independent yet ask them anything about it and it quickly becomes apparanent they have no idea what they are talking about. They're at the age where rebellion is very attractive and the SNP know it and have seized upon it. I really don't want school kids deciding upon my future when they're not of an age where they actively contribute towards it.

It's a difficult subject which can spark high feelings and tensions. For me, I like the degree of control we have at present and I'll be voting to keep this. I joke about supporting whichever team is playing against England but do I really mean it? No. I like being part of the UK.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisJD
ChrisJD  493 forum posts Scotland

Alternatively we could just invade England and make them all Scots.Wink

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43821 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 5:58 PM

Quote: Alternatively we could just invade England and make them all Scots.Wink

No way. You cannot become a Scot. You have to be born one.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 5:58 PM

You and whose ar.......oh...

Grin

mikehit
16 Feb 2014 - 6:04 PM

Quote: Some weeks ago it was reported that Orkney & Shetland, who do not tend to vote SNP, may consider seceding from Scotland in the event of a 'Yes' vote and apply to rejoin Norway.

Given the SNPs case is based on cultural identity ofthe Scots as well as lack of representation in the ruling parliament, Orkney and Shetland have a bigger case for devolution than Scotland in general so I think it is a distinct possibility. Then there are the Western Isles (also with their potential oil reserves) who have a long history of enmity with the Highlands. Salmond has let the genie out of the bottle but refuses to acknowledge it.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 6:28 PM

So once Orkney, Shetlands, Borders and the Western Isles secede from an independent Scotland, Mr Salmond won't have much of an empire to rule - and not a lot of oil either?

What a shame! Wink

scottishphototours

Quote: The proof of this one man's power and influence is easily answered in this one question - "apart from Salmond, Swinney and Sturgeon, name me another 4 SNP MSP's??" - in truth, fewer than 5% of the Scottish population could answer this question. This proves to me that this road to independence is forged by the few names mentioned, all of whom now share Salmond's power trip.

Chic Brodie

Pete Wishart

Marco Biagi

Colin Beattie

Keith Brown

Roderick Campbell

Aileen Campbell

Angela Constance ..........................

Want me to go on and on with other SNP MSP`s then ?? Andy ?

Big Dave's in the "less than 5% group!!......well done Dave, but in truth I haven't heard of most of these people!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73294 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 6:49 PM

Ah but some of the residents in the North of England (fortunately NOT Polis) are talking about seceding from the South of England & joining up with an independant Scotland, so Slippery Salmond would have quite a big Empire to rule. Even if he didn't have the economics to run it properly.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85908 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 9:09 PM

If one of the provisos of a successful vote, was the repatriation of Scottish folks back to Scotland, Corby would become a ghost town overnightWink

Said slightly T-I-CSmile

lemmy
lemmy  71814 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Feb 2014 - 10:29 PM

The one thing that is hard to refute is that if you take Scotland as a region, even if not a country, it has a government for whom not one Scottish constituency voted.

I'm English but even I can see the problem with that.

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2014 - 11:39 PM

Methinks Salmond is trying a little to hard to extract the vote Tongue

mikehit
17 Feb 2014 - 12:48 PM

This is a very good article explaining the dilemma at the heart of Salmond's campaign

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/the-snps-currency-nightmar...

Basically: for Salmond's idea of currency union to work, Holyrood would have to cede some sovereignty to a union it had just decided to leave, and Westminster would have to ceded some sovereignty of the union to a state newly formed by people who do not want to be part of the union.
So how, precisely would Scotland be independent?

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Feb 2014 - 9:26 PM

OAs someone who is not English or Scottish the only thing I have to say is that one country claiming ownership of another country and it's people should be a situation that ended in the middle ages.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3649 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Feb 2014 - 9:30 PM

No way. You cannot become a Scot. You have to be born one.

Good news there, a lucky escape for the rest of us then,Wink

Last Modified By Eastlands at 17 Feb 2014 - 9:31 PM
jemraid
jemraid  941 forum posts England
17 Feb 2014 - 10:11 PM

Just seen a very sheepish Mr Salmond on the 10PM news he not only looked as though he was trying to convince a skeptical audience but also himself.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.