Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scottish referendum.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
chris.maddock
18 Feb 2014 - 7:16 PM

Quote: His opinion of Salmond is unprintable. Wink

LOL.

What with Salmond and Sturgeon, the SNP sounds a bit fishy to me Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Feb 2014 - 7:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
18 Feb 2014 - 8:47 PM

Quote:
The EU has been desperate to let countries in, even to the point of falsifying their accounts to make it possible. Are we then to believe they won't let Scotland in?

Jose Manuel Barosso has the Spanish agenda at heart because they have two regions who want to secede, Catalonia and the Basque Region. Maybe he'd veto the Scottish application if Cameron vetoes the Catalonian and Basque applications.

Evertonian
19 Feb 2014 - 9:48 AM

Quote: why not give Northern Ireland a chance to return to the Republic?

I'll drink to that, have said this since the 1970's, would have saved hundreds of lives.

Given the size of each section of Ireland, the vote would be unfair. Furthermore it would lean to mass immigration from Northern Ireland and we just cannot sustain that given the size of England and the schools and hospitals that are already under pressure. Finally, where would the accommodation come from for the immigrants to house their families?

thewilliam
19 Feb 2014 - 12:44 PM

Liverpool, but most of the refugees from Ulster would probably support the other football team! Over the years, Liverpool has experienced something of an exodus so it needs to be repopulated.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 19 Feb 2014 - 12:45 PM
ChrisJD
ChrisJD  494 forum posts Scotland
19 Feb 2014 - 8:24 PM

Quote: Scotland is made up of a bunch of scrounging, welching social inadequates

.....and that sums up the debate for the less well educated.

Evertonian
20 Feb 2014 - 9:27 AM

Quote: Liverpool, but most of the refugees from Ulster would probably support the other football team! Over the years, Liverpool has experienced something of an exodus so it needs to be repopulated.

Not so, there are quite enough residents here as it is. By the way, Everton is not 'the other football team', it was here before Liverpool F.C.

Last Modified By Evertonian at 20 Feb 2014 - 9:28 AM
thewilliam
20 Feb 2014 - 10:26 AM

Quote: Liverpool, but most of the refugees from Ulster would probably support the other football team! Over the years, Liverpool has experienced something of an exodus so it needs to be repopulated. Not so, there are quite enough residents here as it is. By the way, Everton is not 'the other football team', it was here before Liverpool F.C.

I should have made my point clearer. If Ulster (re)joined the Republic, I imagine that most of the refugees would be Protestants because many of the Roman Catholics already describe themselves as "Irish".

I was brought up in Liverpool but I and my siblings followed the usual custom and didn't return after university. When I was there, asking about football allegiance was often used as a method of finding out a person's religion.

Wouldn't somebody called "Evertonian" think of Liverpool as the "other" team?

comma
comma  697 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2014 - 10:43 PM

johann lamont, leader of the scottish labour party and leading light in the better together campaign, puts forward the case (during a televised debate) that a yes vote raises new concerns regarding all scot's ability to govern themselves.......

johann lamont

yep .... its convinced me....Wink

Evertonian
28 Feb 2014 - 9:50 AM

Quote: Liverpool, but most of the refugees from Ulster would probably support the other football team! Over the years, Liverpool has experienced something of an exodus so it needs to be repopulated. Not so, there are quite enough residents here as it is. By the way, Everton is not 'the other football team', it was here before Liverpool F.C.

I should have made my point clearer. If Ulster (re)joined the Republic, I imagine that most of the refugees would be Protestants because many of the Roman Catholics already describe themselves as "Irish".

I was brought up in Liverpool but I and my siblings followed the usual custom and didn't return after university. When I was there, asking about football allegiance was often used as a method of finding out a person's religion.

Wouldn't somebody called "Evertonian" think of Liverpool as the "other" team?

Religion has not been the arbiter of support for many years now. I am a protestant as are many of my Evertonian friends.
Thinking of Liverpool as the other team - I said Everton FC was a 'Liverpool City' team before Liverpool FC was created. So Everton was there, a founder member of the Football League. Liverpool was formed later on. Just a fact not trying to be clever.

Last Modified By Evertonian at 28 Feb 2014 - 9:51 AM
thewilliam
28 Feb 2014 - 11:53 AM

When I was growing up in Liverpool, but that was about 50 years ago, a question about football allegiance was usually an indirect question about religion.

Some years back an IRA hit squad stopped a minibus carrying workers and asked each one whether he was Protestant or Roman Catholic so they didn't kill any friendlies. When one replied that he was Jewish, the IRA man then asked whether he was a Protestant Jew or a Roman Catholic Jew.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2014 - 1:08 PM

I grew up in the Central Belt of Scotland, and grew a lifelong disdain for football for the simple fact that there are those who would ask which team you supported, and woe betide anyone who gave the wrong answer. Religion had very little to do with it, other than just another excise to sling insults at people.
It was easier to say "I don't follow football" and avoid the subsequent conflicts. Usually this would be followed by other judgements on my masculinity, but these were less likely to result in being headbutted (usually).
Of course, you can't make a statement like that if you don't believe it, and as such I was put off developing an interest in football from an early age (and religion for that matter). Of course, it's not football or God I have an issue with, it's their fans that have caused the issue.
To cap it all though, I was raised by parents from both sides of the border, and have always been very aware of anti-English feeling in the north. My dad was made feel like a traitor times, and I've been isolated for my half English upbringing. Those responsible will, in my experience, usually tell you they hate the English, but can't usually tell you why. It's this sort of character that seems to gravitate towards the SNP. Personally, I've tried to distance myself from that sort of bigotry. I've lived in England for most of my adult life, and can honestly say that I prefer the treatment of people down here.
I don't support Scottish independence at this time, only because I don't trust the motives of those peddling the idea, and wonder what would happen as a result. Maybe in time.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.