Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scratch Disc Nearly Full

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64573 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2014 - 9:10 AM

Hi, I've looked on line but don't really understand much of what I've read. I got a Scratch Disc warning come up so went into Performance to look at my settings. Not sure where to go from here. If I delete all my images (I have two external back-up discs) and delete them all from the c: drive will that free up the scratch disc? Not sure of the difference between scratch and cache either.

I know someone out there knows a lot about computers so I'd really appreciate a bit of guidance. Below are the Performance page settings on my screen. Thank you.

scratch-discs-nearly-full.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Sep 2014 - 9:10 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56748 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2014 - 9:29 AM

IIRC he program will use the RAM for its processing plus some of the hard disc, and with all programs you can define how much of the hard disc it is allowed to access for various operations (in the old days of small hard discs this was a way of prioritising your programs). When this defined limit is reached there is no more space for the program to strut its stuff.
I think the limitation is the 'Let Photoshop Elements use' figure and you can increase this to whatever you want (a limit of 8GB springs to mind with PSE but I may be wrong).

This link may help
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/f/scratchdisk.htm

Last Modified By mikehit at 2 Sep 2014 - 9:31 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64573 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2014 - 9:40 AM

Quote: I think the limitation is the 'Let Photoshop Elements use' figure and you can increase this to whatever you want (a limit of 8GB springs to mind with PSE but I may be wrong).

It only goes up to 3255MB so I'm nearly at maximum.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 81002 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2014 - 9:40 AM

Look in the scratch disc folder on the hard drive and delete contents. It's only temp files left over from when you have been working in cs.
But if you hd is still full after that, then it's time to move some photos of the drive. I have a small ssd just for photoshops scratch a little 60gig one i picked up cheap.

SlowSong
2 Sep 2014 - 9:45 AM

Excuse me for being dim, but how do I get to the scratch disc folder? Blush

I do use CCleaner regularly but can't see anything on there to say Scratch discs cleanup.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 2 Sep 2014 - 9:49 AM
mikehit
mikehit  56748 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2014 - 9:54 AM

I don't think you need to: just do a search in explorer for files *.tmp and delete them

Last Modified By mikehit at 2 Sep 2014 - 9:55 AM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 81002 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2014 - 9:56 AM

hope this helps

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 2 Sep 2014 - 10:01 AM
SlowSong
2 Sep 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Gareth. I don't have anything in the recycle bin as I empty it regularly and a search for .tmp files didn't come up with anything. My E drive is one of the 2TB external hard drives I back up to so I suppose I can use that. If I do use the external E hard drive for temp files I can just delete them all later. Is that right? Smile

And thanks Mike. Am working my way through your link. Smile I'm also doing a defrag, although my computer's set to do that automatically. But just in case.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 2 Sep 2014 - 10:12 AM
GarethRobinson
2 Sep 2014 - 10:11 AM

correct, but in all honesty keeping images on your main os and app drive is something i would not do incase of the hd crashing etc, just becomes a pain.

SlowSong
2 Sep 2014 - 10:14 AM

I'm always conscious of the fact that the work on the external hard drives don't always upload correctly if you get a new computer so I like to keep my work on the main computer. I know in the past I've had external hard drives and when I've tried to reload the images they haven't copied over.

lemmy
lemmy  71951 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 - 10:43 AM

Quote: I know in the past I've had external hard drives and when I've tried to reload the images they haven't copied over

Something seriously wrong there and I'd be very wary of any system where that happened. Twenty five years ago maybe but nowadays, absolutely not.

The warning you are getting means not that the 'scratch disk' is nearly full but that the disk upon which it resides is nearly full. The scratch disk shouldn't ideally be on the C: system disk. Move it to the E: disk where you have more space. If the E: drive is USB2, it might be a bit slow. If it is, get a second HD, designate it D: and put all your data, pictures and scratch disk on there.

The scratch disk isn't a disk as such, it's just an area to which Photoshop will write its temporary files when you haven't enough RAM for the operation, similar to the Windows paging file or the Mac swap file.

SlowSong
2 Sep 2014 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Lemmy. I guess it won't do any harm to move the temp files to E drive. I can always get another external hard drive after all. It is USB2 so I'll bear the speed in mind.

MGJ
MGJ  6157 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2014 - 6:37 PM

Also, if i may suggest it, you are letting PS use far too much RAM. You are crowding the operating system and other applications. About half the ideal range is perfect, unless you have a monster amount of RAM (or a very fast RAM which clears quickly).

As Lemmy has suggested, if you have a second hard drive, which you appear to have, use the drive other than the C drive as the scratch disc. The point of a scratch disc being to speed up operations by allowing one set of read heads to read the program on the C drive, and the other set of read/write heads on the other drive to write whatever temporary files ps wants to write. The read heads can't do both at the same time on the same drive. If your E drive is an external USB drive, info transfer may take longer than write operations, so the C drive could remain the better option, but its worth trying.

SlowSong
2 Sep 2014 - 7:02 PM

Thank you. That's interesting. At the moment, as you can see, the C drive is ticked. Should I just untick that and tick the E drive on its own? I use Ccleaner as I mentioned before, but this doesn't remove the rubbish in the C drive so it looks like I'm stuck with that. I'll let you know how get on.

SlowSong
5 Sep 2014 - 1:21 PM

Well I changed to the E drive and all seems to be going well. Might even be a bit faster, in fact. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.