Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scratched my Nikon D7000 mirror

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nazmul99
    nazmul99  5 Bangladesh
    23 Apr 2012 - 3:26 AM

Hello,
    I know this is very stupid and very foolish of me but I am a beginner. Yesterday I got some black dust type things on my Mirror, happened while changing the lens. In order to get it out i used paper to poke it out because a hair dryer didn't work (turned the heating off). While i was poking it it scratched the mirror and now through the viewfinder its very messed up (scratched). The images are completely fine, i was worried, then i used cotton buds to try to fix the scratches until i got some small particles from the cotton. Which i don't think is a big deal since i blowed the particles off.
    I am very worried. Is it possible to replace the mirror? What do I do?
    Sad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Apr 2012 - 3:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Umberto_Vanni
    Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9304 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
    23 Apr 2012 - 6:37 AM

I'm sure the mirror can be replaced. Contact Nikon or a good camera repairer.

User_Removed
    23 Apr 2012 - 7:06 AM

The scratch won't show up on your images if it's just on the mirror. If you can cope with the scratch, leave it. Your images will be fine.
    can I suggest in future, if you get any dust on your mirror, don't poke it or prod it with anything Wink , just wipe is slowly with a small soft lens brush or soft lens cloth.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 23 Apr 2012 - 7:07 AM
    Andy_Cundell
    23 Apr 2012 - 9:38 AM

Like laurel said, it will only affect your view. If it is really bothering you, and the price of a mirror is too much to replace, you can purchase something called Jewelers Rouge from lots of places (just search in Google, although other search engines are available!). It is a very fine paste that is used to polish out scratches. We use it to polish out any imperfections on lenses of periscopes. If you do go ahead and buy some, have a practice first on your watch face, it will come up like new if you have the patience to use it. A word of caution, you will have to be very carefull in such a confined area of your camera body as not to contaminate the inside of your body.

nazmul99
    nazmul99  5 Bangladesh
    23 Apr 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thank you very much, i sure wont poke it with anything next time. I'l leave it to the Repairers. Now the scratches i can live with, but its a bit blurry which i cant since the bright things blurry. I think I will replace the mirror.

User_Removed
    23 Apr 2012 - 12:30 PM

You could replace the whole thing with a Canon Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Just a suggestion? Smile

(Dons steel helmet and body armour. Alright, alright, alright, I'm kidding!)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 23 Apr 2012 - 12:32 PM
    Railcam
    Railcam  7447 forum posts Scotland
    23 Apr 2012 - 12:42 PM

Quote: you can purchase something called Jewelers Rouge from lots of places (just search in Google, although other search engines are available!). It is a very fine paste that is used to polish out scratches.

Not a good idea at all. Whilst most mirrors are glass, with the silvering on the back, I believe a camera mirror has the silvering on the front surface. Hence polishing it with jewellers' rouge will just remove all the silvering.

Either live with it or have the mirror replaced.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2012 - 12:44 PM

They might well use Jewelers Rouge that has been mentioned when sent for repair.
    Hardly if ever do they also return the parts replaced.

Jestertheclown
    23 Apr 2012 - 2:40 PM

If Jewelers' Rouge isn't extortionately expensive, why don't you try it first?
    You seem to have nothing to lose.
    In fact, for the small amount that I'd imagine you'll need, I dare say a friendly local jeweler might be kind enough to donate a drop.
    You could always offer to photograph his shop at a later date, by way of return.

User_Removed
    23 Apr 2012 - 3:01 PM

Last time I used jewellers rouge to clean up an old watch face I seem to remember a fine residue left on the cloth...not a problem out in the open but should any fall into the camera innards you wil be faced with an even bigger bill. Lookup a good camera repairer or your manufacturers repair centre and phone them. I you can afford to, have it dealt with professionally.

Safe sex for cameras!!! dont stick anything into a camera unless you are 100% sure.

You will pay for your education without doubt.

Jonnymyles
    23 Apr 2012 - 5:27 PM

Not wanting to point out the obvious here, but are you sure your view finder is in focus?

nazmul99
    nazmul99  5 Bangladesh
    23 Apr 2012 - 5:41 PM

The view finder is in focus, if you open the lens out in the sunlight you can see the light scratches. In my mind i just love Nikons, after this incident for some reason I love my camera even more.
    Well i guess the Jewelers Rouge wont be a good idea since the silver thing is the thing i guess which got scratched off the mirror.
    I can live with it since my images are fine. The problem is me being a neat freak, and I can't stand the marks on the viewfinder. I think i will get the mirror replaced.
    How much do you reckon it would cost?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.