Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

SD Card

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2012 - 3:44 PM

Just had the little catch which locks the SD card fall out on one of my cards (Integral Ultima Pro 16GB). It appears when that happens it locks the card and the card is unusable. I was using the card earlier today and it was OK. Goodness knows where the catch is: I've checked the camera and computer slots... I was worried it might have got lodged in there but it doesn't seem so. If it's fallen on the carpeted floor, I'll never find it.

Never had anything like that happen before. The card's got a 5-year warranty but I can't find the receipt. In view of the price, it's probably scarcely worth the hassle/postage anyway. I presume I'll just have to throw the card away. Sad

Anyone had this type of thing happen?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Jul 2012 - 3:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett
    ikett  3339 forum posts England
    6 Jul 2012 - 3:55 PM

No but thanks for the nod will avoid that make.Grin

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2012 - 3:59 PM

I've used Integral for years on several cameras without any issue. Smile

Update: I found the catch... it had fallen onto a table. Phew!

franken
    franken e2 Member 113095 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2012 - 4:00 PM

Not sure if this is any use to you?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_unlock_the_SD_card_if_the_lock_bottom_is_m...

Carabosse
    6 Jul 2012 - 4:03 PM

Cheers Ken. Smile

Carabosse
    6 Jul 2012 - 5:23 PM

Just to wrap this up - found the invoice and have emailed Integral, from their Support page, demanding a replacement. Card is only 6 months old!

Oh well, I've been a bit blasť about memory cards over the years, having never had one go wrong... I suppose this is a bit of a lesson. Wink

User_Removed
    6 Jul 2012 - 8:10 PM

Thanks for the warning. I only use SanDisk and (fingers crossed) no problems so far.

I have noticed that wee slidey thing on SD cards but never had any occasion to use it. has anyone ever used it? And, if so, why?

Carabosse
    6 Jul 2012 - 8:16 PM

You slide it to stop the card being written to or formatted.

Some people use SD cards purely for storage these days (I do so myself with lower capacity cards) and it is just a safeguard, in case you mix up your cards. Smile

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    7 Jul 2012 - 12:22 AM

Never used it, but certainly had one break/fall off..didn't know about the sellotape trick though..!

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2012 - 6:06 AM

hmm, I had that happen to an 8gig SD card some time back. Wish I had known about the tape trick as I think I ended up dumping the card Sad

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2012 - 8:41 AM

don't get smug i had a sandisk pro go wrong lost everything on it !

Carabosse
    14 Jul 2012 - 9:54 AM

Just to provide a happy end to the story - Integral, very swiftly, provided a replacement card.... and it has a slightly higher bitrate than the faulty one. Smile

First time anything like this has happened to me in 10 years of using memory cards of all types and makes. I guess I'll take things less for granted now!

thewilliam
    14 Jul 2012 - 11:47 AM

As I get older, time seems to pass much faster. When I look at the paperwork, something that I thought I'd bought a few weeks ago turns out to be several years old!

I've taken to putting date labels on capital kit so I keep track of the warranty..

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.