Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

SD Card

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Jul 2012 3:44PM
Just had the little catch which locks the SD card fall out on one of my cards (Integral Ultima Pro 16GB). It appears when that happens it locks the card and the card is unusable. I was using the card earlier today and it was OK. Goodness knows where the catch is: I've checked the camera and computer slots... I was worried it might have got lodged in there but it doesn't seem so. If it's fallen on the carpeted floor, I'll never find it.

Never had anything like that happen before. The card's got a 5-year warranty but I can't find the receipt. In view of the price , it's probably scarcely worth the hassle/postage anyway. I presume I'll just have to throw the card away. Sad

Anyone had this type of thing happen?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett e2
4 372 England
6 Jul 2012 3:55PM
No but thanks for the nod will avoid that make.Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Jul 2012 3:59PM
I've used Integral for years on several cameras without any issue. Smile

Update: I found the catch... it had fallen onto a table. Phew!
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
6 Jul 2012 4:00PM
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Jul 2012 4:03PM
Cheers Ken. Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Jul 2012 5:23PM
Just to wrap this up - found the invoice and have emailed Integral, from their Support page, demanding a replacement. Card is only 6 months old!

Oh well, I've been a bit blasť about memory cards over the years, having never had one go wrong... I suppose this is a bit of a lesson. Wink
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Jul 2012 8:10PM
Thanks for the warning. I only use SanDisk and (fingers crossed) no problems so far.

I have noticed that wee slidey thing on SD cards but never had any occasion to use it. has anyone ever used it? And, if so, why?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Jul 2012 8:16PM
You slide it to stop the card being written to or formatted.

Some people use SD cards purely for storage these days (I do so myself with lower capacity cards) and it is just a safeguard, in case you mix up your cards. Smile
7 Jul 2012 12:22AM
Never used it, but certainly had one break/fall off..didn't know about the sellotape trick though..!
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2012 6:06AM
hmm, I had that happen to an 8gig SD card some time back. Wish I had known about the tape trick as I think I ended up dumping the card Sad
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
7 Jul 2012 8:41AM
don't get smug i had a sandisk pro go wrong lost everything on it !
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Jul 2012 9:54AM
Just to provide a happy end to the story - Integral, very swiftly, provided a replacement card.... and it has a slightly higher bitrate than the faulty one. Smile

First time anything like this has happened to me in 10 years of using memory cards of all types and makes. I guess I'll take things less for granted now!
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
14 Jul 2012 11:47AM
As I get older, time seems to pass much faster. When I look at the paperwork, something that I thought I'd bought a few weeks ago turns out to be several years old!

I've taken to putting date labels on capital kit so I keep track of the warranty..

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.