Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bigalguitarpicker

I was looking for a "Search Forums" facility, but I can't find it. Did a search facility ever exist? Is it sitting right under my nose and I'm missing seeing it? Help! Sad

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Dec 2012 - 11:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Dec 2012 - 11:44 PM

the search is site wide in the menu bar...(magnify glass at the right) It changes to the area you are in so when you go to forums and click on the magnify icon the search word you key into the pop up box will be specifically for forums Smile

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2012 - 7:25 AM

If you know what your looking for I prefer to use Google, it's quicker and more accurate, Just include ePhotozine in the search string e.g "ephotozine Nikon D700"

EDIT: just tried the EPZ search, looks like its improved quite a bit since the last time I used it ( which was quite some time ago)

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 Dec 2012 - 7:27 AM
    User_Removed
    3 Dec 2012 - 12:34 PM

A more accurate way to search a website (via Google) is to use the site: command.

For example

robin site:ephotozine.com

Just mentioning the site name in the search string also pulls up other websites that have a web page in Google's index that mentions that site.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2012 - 4:44 PM

You learn something new everyday Chris, there again some of those " other" sites have thrown up a few welcome surprises Wink

User_Removed
    3 Dec 2012 - 6:51 PM

That is excellent Chris. The number of time I have tried to use the site search 'engine' to find a technique I wrote.... I gave up!!

That 'string' is brilliant. Thanks! Grin

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2012 - 7:22 PM

Quote: A more accurate way to search a website (via Google) is to use the site: command.

For example

robin site:ephotozine.com

Just mentioning the site name in the search string also pulls up other websites that have a web page in Google's index that mentions that site.

Brilliant tip. I can see me using that regularly. Thanks. Grin

bigalguitarpicker

Hah! So it was right under my nose all along! Smile
    @Nick_w: Didn't know about your hint on using Google. I'm specifically trying to track down references to Wordpress websites. Saw them in a forum somewhere and trying to locate them. An SEO guru wants me to use Wordpress for a new website we're planning. My website www.irishancestry.biz isn't getting enough hits in what I thought would be an attractive niche market - I offer to photograph the ancestral homeplaces of Irish emigrants ( CDs, Photobooks, DVDs) for descendants of the Irish Diaspora worldwide, who have researched their ancestry and would like to have a visual record of it. As I know little to nothing about Wordpress ( my current site is on Clikpic), I would like to have a look at a few Wordpress sites. I followed Clikpic guidelines about homepage text that would maximise Google hits, but Google seems to be ignoring that text completely. My website builder colleague, who knows lots more about Search Engine Optimization than I ever will, dug into Google and showed me the results - it would appear that Google is picking up the captions on photographs I've uploaded ( thumbnails of each gallery appear on my homepage), but ignores the homepage text. Which I sweated over into the wee small hours. With bottles of Rioja. Often. To no avail! Sad
    @Chris_L: Thanks for that bit of useful info Chris. I'll be making use of that.
    Alex.

User_Removed
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:40 AM

@Alex Some of the best guidelines you can read about SEO are Google's own in the Webmaster Academy

Wonder why he wants you to use Wordpress, is it because at one time Wordpress sites meant blogs and Google loved blogs?

Google used to rank sites highly if they were mentioned by bloggers. Then many people started blogs just for the purpose of promoting sites or putting blogs on their commerce sites where they typed about the weather, football results etc in order to place keywords that those sites wouldn't normally have. Google's ranking takes less notice of blogs nowadays and if Google detect you're doing spammy stuff they'll downgrade your listing.

SEO gurus are good and bad. If they say they are confident they can get you to page 1 of Google results for a particular search term see if they'll do it on a no placing no fee basis. It's amazing how many lose their confidence...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.