Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Search galleries by camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
born2bongo
born2bongo e2 Member 529 forum postsborn2bongo vcard England
22 May 2009 - 7:37 AM

Sorry if this has been raised before but does anyone else agree with me that it would be helpful to search for pictures taken by a particular camera?

I've just tried looking for a Sony A900 and returned no results, so then I tried 5D and still no results, but I've seen loads of them in my wanderings through the galleries.

As you can guess, I'm looking for a new camera. The imaging resource website is helpful but there's nothing to beat a selection of results with different users and different locations.

What do others think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 May 2009 - 7:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
22 May 2009 - 7:54 AM

Don't see much point really. What you'll see in the gallery is a modified, scaling down version of what the camera produces.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2009 - 8:58 AM

Quote: but there's nothing to beat a selection of results with different users and different locations.

that's a bit like putting lots of furniture in front of you and saying "this was made with Sankey tools, this one with Makita, this one with Joe Bloggs Hammers"

the Chippendale would be nice because of his craftmanship, not because of the chisel he uses, it's the same with photography

born2bongo
22 May 2009 - 9:29 AM

So if it's all down to the skill of the photographer, why do people buy an expensive camera? And despite the limitations of size it's still possible to spot the difference. More often than not, when I am admiring a particularly good landscape, it turns out to be a 5D MkII. I'd just like to put some of them up against an A900, that's all.

ade_mcfade
22 May 2009 - 9:37 AM

Quote: So if it's all down to the skill of the photographer, why do people buy an expensive camera?

Because they can

Do you think every Ferrari driver is as good as Lewis Hamilton?

Basically, there are those who "need" pro spec cameras as they need the reliablilty, and ironically, those may well be poor photographters who just hound celebrities, and there are those who just want the best - often falling into the "all the gear and no idea" camp.

there are people on here with 6000 cameras who take appalling photographs. No names, but I'm sure you'll have people in mind Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2009 - 9:40 AM

I would prefer to have a search system for lens used, rather than cameras.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Kako
Kako  7135 forum posts
22 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

born2bongo,

I agree with you on this totally. I have in the past trawled through galleries looking for images taken with a particular camera and or lens. It would be so much easier and save a lot of time if you could access these images by a search function. I'm sure someone will do it before long and probably pull in the crowds as a result.

I would never buy a camera or lens without wanting some idea as to its technical capability and the 'look and feel' of the images it/they produce (this can be discerned to a useful enough extent by being able to view dozens of images onscreen for comparison purposes). Knowing what lens was used together with the usual 'technical' shooting info normally supplied are enough in my opinion to provide
useful feedback which can then be added to all the other information in ones possession.

born2bongo
22 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Spot on Kako. That's it exactly. It just feeds in to a complete information gathering process. I've managed to find a review of the Canon 5D MKII, comparing it with the Nikon D700 and the Sony A900. That's been helpful, and certainly highlighted some important differences, but I still believe as wide a choice of pictures, in all kinds of situations, with all skill levels, is going to help me form a more solid opinion.

I would also like to see the same group comparison between low, medium and top end cameras. I tried this on imaging-resource.com but found variances beyond those that could have been attributed to camera difference alone. This is what led me to believe that I can only get a true representation by looking at as many pictures as possible.

My local camera shop only lets you try out a limited range of models (the ones that they will sell most, so they don't mind keeping a demonstration model). You can pick it up, switch it on, and look through the viewfinder/liveview, but you can't put a card in and take a picture. For me this is a big ticket item and I want to dot every i and cross every t.

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

Quote: So if it's all down to the skill of the photographer, why do people buy an expensive camera?

Little boys, and their toys...

born2bongo
22 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

Quote: Quote:So if it's all down to the skill of the photographer, why do people buy an expensive camera? Little boys, and their toys...

Ok, so in some peoples eyes, it's obviously a bad idea to want to compare 5D MKIIs with A900s and D700s. It seems to have generated more emotional response than practical observation.

What about the similarly priced and speced (and much lower priced) 500d and 50d, then?

For those who are similarly emotional about all things Canon, would it not be useful to compare a camera of any price against others models in the same class?

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2009 - 1:08 PM

Oh, I don't mind what you buy, but you asked why people do it, that was my answer: little boys want the biggest and brightest and shiniest toys they can get their hands on.

There are some people on here that have taken and sold photos on 'low spec' xxxD series Canons, and some people that have taken c**p photos on xD series Canons, I don't think it's necessarily going to help you the way you think. (btw, being a little girl I'm using a camera distinctly long in the tooth in the digital race, and I've never paid over 300 for a lens, so you'll probably want to skip my gallery in your research Wink )

Last Modified By rowarrior at 22 May 2009 - 1:09 PM
strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2009 - 1:14 PM

Sorry I think you are missing the point. At web sizes, it is hard to see the differences in image quality. And also editing can have a massive impact, so it is of little value.

and for the technical aspects, like for example the ability of a camera to fast AF track a subject for example could you tell the difference between a shot where the photographer pre-selected a point where he predicted the bird would fly and pre-focused and judged the moment spot on from one where a super fast AF system kept the bird in focus and took hundreds of photo's. Answer no.

Lets take your 500D and 50D comparison. For landscapes with the same lens, low ISO shots tripod mounted you will struggle to tell. The faster frame rate and longer shutter life??? The improved handling???

Go spend a day on wildlife or sports photography and you could split them. Handle them you could split them.

I think what we are trying to say is, the Gallery is there to show the abilities of the photographer, not the camera. We all hate the

Quote: That's a good photo you must have a great camera

And to me, much of the differences between cameras cannot be seen on a 1000 x 1000 pixel picture. So for those purposes for a lot of photography the base dSLR and kit lens often does a fantastic job. But if you want to shoot a rock concert in low light, or cover a flood lit football match, or capture birds in flight, or even have a camera that works 12 hours a day every day, the pro cameras and lenses work well.

so here are my tips for camera choice.

1 There are no lemons or lemon brands
2 For 90% of shots there is no significant quality difference brand to brand at a given market level.
3 A lot of what you pay for in a camera as you go up the range is reaction time/speed durability and handling
4 If you only print up to A3 in size 10 or 12mp are more than enough
5 If you want a large lens range and professional rapid support and turn around on equipment Canon and Nikon dominate
6 For most of us amateurs, the other brands often offer excellent value for money, but buy into a lens system, not a camera body.
7 Spend more on lenses than bodies.

And finally your 5D MKII V's A900 V's D700, pick the Nikon for low light and up to A3 prints and sharp responses. Pick the Sony if you do not need long focal lengths and want very large prints and shoot at lowish ISO, Pick the Canon for if you need to balance all of the above. Simple :-0

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2009 - 1:25 PM

I think a proper seach engine which works site-wide would be worthwhile.

ade_mcfade
22 May 2009 - 1:25 PM

to summarise...

there would be no harm in having a camera search facility

but

for the purpose you'd like the search, it's probably not that appropriate

however

for comparing lenses, a search facility could well be very useful - especially for new people who don't yet know the difference between a 10mm and a 100mm lens.

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 22 May 2009 - 1:26 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

If you make your camera judgements on the basis of some of the photos on here you might end up deciding an inexpensive compact performs better than than a top of the range DSLR! Lol! Wink

As others have indicated, to make decisions on camera-buying on the basis of smallish web photos (often heavily processed after shooting) is foolhardy indeed...........

Last Modified By Carabosse at 23 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.