Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Security and viruses

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 1:01PM
Having just wiped my laptop because of a virus I need some advice on which is best please?
I've always used Avast but it didnt pick this latest one up this time and its a pain in the backside getting everything back and set up again. I have McAfee installed as it was originally at the moment. Use Malwarebyes too.

Also is there a piece of secruity software that can be installed on laptops, my daugther wants to take her laptop to college but I'm worried about theft (obviously). I read somewhere about tracking software but cant find it now.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 1:07PM
I've used Kaspersky Internet Security for a number of years and so far nothing has got through it. It is pretty cheap too and not too heavy on resources.

As to laptop security, what do you want? You can get software which will totally encrypt it, so that if it gets stolen none of the data can be read. You could also put a bios password onto it. However neither of those would help get it back. One piece of software which seems to get decent reviews is Lojack , worth a look.

Ian
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 1:26PM
Thans Ian, I'll take a look at those.
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 1:56PM
I've also found Kaspersky very effective. It doesn't slow the system noticeably.
By default it pops up information screens related to its actions, but these can be set so that only critical ones show.
If set up to do so,it also updates regularly, sometimes several times a day.

Worth checking the current price at PC World, I paid 20 there for mine.

Mcafee came pre-installed with my machine, but I never liked it and scrapped it in favour of Kaspersky.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 2:02PM
I have used Sunbelt Counterspy Vipre. It seems to do the job.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 2:34PM
I use F-Secure on my main PCs, as it's the most unobtrusive I've ever found. Nothing has got past it....
Three other PCs at home use Microsoft Security Essentials, and my work machines use our corporate version of McAfee (because they have to).

I don't like Kaspersky, AVG or Avast for various reasons ...
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 2:36PM
(I've also used Webroot, which should be avoided like the plague, and Norton, which is the spawn of Satan)
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
6 Sep 2012 2:39PM
This is a useful program as it picks up unusual behaviour on your computer and it runs safely with other programs.

It's picked up quite a bit that my other software has missed.

http://www.threatfire.com/download/

Ken
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
6 Sep 2012 3:20PM
The school where I used to work used Kaspersky and was frequently struck down by malware, almost always via email and presumably, links.
They got shot of it and installed McAfee which was even more useless than Kaspersky had been.
In the end they went for the paid for version of AVG and as far as I know they've had no more problems.

Personally, I was a fan of Avast free edition for a few years but just lately, it's caused my machine to slow to a crawl. Removing and re-installing it made no difference, so I've gone back to the free version of AVG.
I also use Malwarebytes and I understand, although I don't use it, that that 'Threatfire' that Ken's linked to is supposed to be pretty good.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
6 Sep 2012 3:40PM
We use AVG at work, and according to the IT dept. it's the dogs whatsits.
I have the free version on my own pc and it is very effective, very unobtrusive.

Malc
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 3:45PM
AVG is used by several of the emergency services including some police forces so must be pretty good
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 4:19PM
How do you know that? Can't imagine it's the sort of information they make freely available.
6 Sep 2012 4:26PM

Quote:The school where I used to work used Kaspersky and was frequently struck down by malware, almost always via email and presumably, links.

That's bizarre, Kaspersky are always winning awards from computer and security magazines for best detection rates. I wonder if it was down to the way they configured it.
6 Sep 2012 4:29PM
Worth having a look here
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
6 Sep 2012 5:01PM
Out of interest K, do you know exactly what the virus was?.....I only ask so as everyone else can check their systems, as it's very unusual for anything to side step Avast. Speaking of which did you tell them about it, if so they'd have sorted out an update by now hopefully.

Ade

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.