Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Security and viruses

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 11:01PM
Your PC will not contract a virus if you are running Norton. Nor will it do anything else.....

Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Last time I used Nortons all seemed sweet initially but things went rapidly downhill.

After about 3 weeks and nearly at a standstill I decided to uninstall Nortons.

To do this I needed to download a program from the Norton website. However the Norton AV blocked the Norton website - and everything else.

I eventually did manage to get shot of it.

Once bit....! Sad
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Sep 2012 6:54PM
I had the same problems Jas, years ago. Getting rid of it is like a breath of fresh air after being inside for a month or two. IMO, McAfee isn't much different. It's like the programers are so obsessed with preventing virus's, etc., they have forgotten that we still need to use our PCs.Tongue
macroman 11 15.3k England
7 Sep 2012 8:00PM
My laptop had a time limited McAfee included when purchased, but when it ran out I got rid of it (eventually) and installed AVG. The machine ran much smoother/faster. I have had no reason to change since and AVG seems to work well.

I also run Malwarebytes every so often and Spybot, with the occasional burst of CCleaner, and have been virtually trouble free for years.
aashton 2 1
17 Sep 2012 11:32AM
In my opinion you should use Norton Antivirus and regulary update this. It is best antivirus and if your files is corrupted with the virus that it is capable to repair these affected files. I am using Noton from last five years and I never faced any virus related problem.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
17 Sep 2012 11:44AM

Quote: It is best antivirus

Absolute tosh!.......I'll tell what it is Smile It's the biggest piece of conware/bloatware on the market today, apart from anything from Adobe, but at least Adobe works!.....Don't believe the hype and marketing!!!

Ade Smile
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
17 Sep 2012 1:08PM

Quote:if your files is corrupted with the virus that it is capable to repair these affected files.

If your files is corrupted it's too late. The AV hasn't done its job and it's not going to repair them.
icphoto 13 1.5k England
17 Sep 2012 6:38PM
I use Trend Micro, and have been doing so for the past two years with no poblems. I used to use McAfee but found it to be totally useless, as for Norton well years ago I installed it on a machine had nothing but bother with it, and had a heck of a time getting it unistalled.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2012 7:34PM
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2012 6:35PM

Quote:If your files is corrupted it's too late. The AV hasn't done its job and it's not going to repair them.

This is totally not true. It depends on the virus, the file and how the virus attaches itself to executables.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
18 Sep 2012 6:41PM
Goodbye.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.