Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

seen one of my photos on a website!!

mymindseye 5 28 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 2:46PM
I would like anybody's views about this...while looking and searching the internet I discovered on of my images being used and offered for download as a free wallpaper. Here

http://www.scenicreflections.com/media/363563/White_Cliffs_of_Yorkshire_Wallpaper/

this is the same as this on my internet site.. http://www.mymindseyephotos.com/white-cliffs-of-yorkshire

the image is copyright.

I am not very happy about this...any advise?

thanks,
Alan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
14 Apr 2013 3:12PM
If you do an image comparison search, it comes up several times:

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/bridlington,england/Interesting

http://www.all-hd-wallpapers.com/search-result-for-yorkshire/pag-2

http://thebritish.hu/photo/yorkshire-i-feh-r-szikl-k

http://www.picstopin.com/1680/yorkshire-wallpapers-by-natures-desktop/
14 Apr 2013 3:20PM
They must have picked it up from my Flickr page...
I don't think it's right that they advertise it as free wallpaper though!!

Thanks,
Alan
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
14 Apr 2013 3:20PM
They actually tell you what to do:

Quote:DMCA Notice

ScenicReflections.com is an online service provider as defined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. We provide legal copyright owners with the ability to self-publish on the internet by uploading, storing and displaying various media utilizing our services. We do not monitor, screen or otherwise review the media which is uploaded to our servers by users of the service. We take copyright violation very seriously and will vigorously protect the rights of legal copyright owners. If you are the copyright owner of content which appears on the ScenicReflections.com website and you did not authorize the use of the content you must notify Scenic Reflections in writing in order for us to identify the allegedly infringing content and take action.

In order to more easily facilitate the process we have provided a form for your use. We will be unable to take any action if you do not provide us with the required information so please fill out all fields accurately and completely. Alternatively you may make a written notice via email, facsimile or postal mail to the DMCA AGENT as listed below. Your written notice must include the following:

A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or person authorized to act on behalf of the owner which expressly claims an exclusive right that is allegedly being infringed.

Specific identification of the copyrighted work which you are alleging to have been infringed. If you are alleging infringement of multiple copyrighted works with a single notification you must submit a representative list which specifically identifies each of the works that you allege are being infringed.

Specific identification of the location and description of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity with enough detailed information to permit Scenic Reflections to locate the material. You should include the specific URL or URLs of the webpages where the allegedly infringing material is located.

Information reasonably sufficient to allow Scenic Reflections to contact the complaining party which may include a name, address, telephone number and electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.

A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law.

A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

Written notice should be sent to our designated agent as follows:

DMCA AGENT
Name: Paul Diemer

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
14 Apr 2013 3:22PM
and people say don't watermark your photos....
14 Apr 2013 3:30PM
Thanks for that Gundog,
I have now found it on there site.
I will follow this up!

Cheers,
Alan
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
14 Apr 2013 3:32PM
Most countries subscribe to international copyright laws, so you can politely issue them what's known as a 'take down notice', with just a subtle hint of menace. Take screenshots of the infringement.

Following through on any threat might be more problematic - then you're lumbered with the impunity of local law (American law seems stronger, despite skullduggery such as this ).

In the UK you can try out the small claims track in the Patents County Court - either as a means of being paid the going rate or trying to encourage freeloaders to remove your photos.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 3:33PM
Also be aware that both WOT and Malwarebytes don't like that original site.
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
14 Apr 2013 3:42PM
Let us know how you get on!
Bravdo 6 14 2 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 3:46PM
An interesting topic and would like to know the outcome. I'm with Ade on this one.

Barry
Brian_Scott e2
5 42 27 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 3:51PM
I had the same problem with wallpaper sites using some of my images, this one in particular My Owl Image
14 Apr 2013 3:54PM
Hi Brian,
The link goes to google search! Thanks for the feedback, did you sort the issue out with the sites?

Cheers
Alan
shagnasty 8 26
14 Apr 2013 3:56PM
Alan,

I have just picked up a copy of your image from your Flicker page.
An examination of the EXIF data reveals that there is no copyright information recorded.

I don't know if this is a result of Flicker stripping the data, or whether it was an erroneous step in your processing.

Re-examining your other images for EXIF data including copyright might be worthwhile.

Otherwise, as Ade McFade mentions watermarking your photographs then becomes an important and relevant consideration.

Pat
14 Apr 2013 3:57PM
Thanks Pat,
Il take a look....
Brian_Scott e2
5 42 27 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 4:15PM
Hi Alan, Orginally i had about 10+ pages of different wallpaper sites using the same image of mine, i contacted alot of them and they removed it straight away, there was just so many sites using my images that it was impossible to contact them all, some are easy to contact others not in english can sometimes be a bit harder as some dont even give you a contact page. But im sure if you just contacted the said website telling them its your image they will remove it without hesitation. I was told by a few of them that they had bought a batch of images to use as wallpapers and some of mone happened to be in them Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.