Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

seen one of my photos on a website!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

GlennH
GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 4:15 PM

American websites might be a little more jumpy, because if you've registered copyright with the U.S Copyright Office prior to any unauthorised use the penalty is likely to be punitive (not sure how easily the responsibility could be offloaded to the person who uploaded the photo). You don't have to be an American resident to do this, AFAIK.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Apr 2013 - 4:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mymindseye
14 Apr 2013 - 4:16 PM

thanks Brian,

DebbieDee
DebbieDee  1
14 Apr 2013 - 5:30 PM

Why does no one on this site watermark their images?

GlennH
GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 6:13 PM


Quote: Why does no one on this site watermark their images?

Generally because the watermark has to be very conspicuous to deter image theft, which conflicts somewhat with the nature of a largely hobbyist photo community looking to show off photos to their best advantage. It makes more sense if you're whacking a load of photos online for purely mercenary reasons!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014736 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 6:27 PM


Quote: Why does no one on this site watermark their images?

Generally because the watermark has to be very conspicuous to deter image theft, which conflicts somewhat with the nature of a largely hobbyist photo community looking to show off photos to their best advantage. It makes more sense if you're whacking a load of photos online for purely mercenary reasons!

maybe some middle ground there?

Wink

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 6:50 PM


Quote: I don't think it's right that they advertise it as free wallpaper though!!

If they are not asking money for it, It has got to be free, So right or wrong that part is entirely correct.

Why not ask them to credit you with a mention and look at it as free advertising..?

In this day and age when the worth of stock images supplied by top professionals is measured in $ Cents and or Pence, Placing monetary value on images of any type/source is a bit academic, Getting some recognition for your work as in a credit though, Might be the next best thing....!!!

Wink

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2013 - 7:07 PM


Quote: I don't think it's right that they advertise it as free wallpaper though!!

If they are not asking money for it, It has got to be free, So right or wrong that part is entirely correct.

Why not ask them to credit you with a mention and look at it as free advertising..?

In this day and age when the worth of stock images supplied by top professionals is measured in $ Cents and or Pence, Placing monetary value on images of any type/source is a bit academic, Getting some recognition for your work as in a credit though, Might be the next best thing....!!!

Wink

Or you could argue that more to the point it is theft, and to take the viewpoint it is ok because people sell their images for a few pence is in itself fueling the fire. Those people who sell to stock libraries make that choice and choose to do it and good luck to them - those who have their images stolen and placed on sites ( even under the pretense of not making any money ) are in a different boat.

Its not ok to take someones work and use it for your own gain ( yes it happens but that does not make it right ) - and that's what that particular company is doing with a large PF of stolen images to support its advertising income revenue or whatever else it is up to in the background . . they certainly aint running that sight out of charity ! Its part of a global publishing company with an advertising income revenue and a 12 year track record !

Just out of interest i clicked on an image to download and was faced with a barrage of ads including dating sites etc and then even when you close it apple iphone competitions pop up etc , so if it was me i would be chasing for it to be removed and charging them for its use ...

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 14 Apr 2013 - 7:12 PM
mymindseye
14 Apr 2013 - 8:34 PM


Quote: Its not ok to take someones work and use it for your own gain ( yes it happens but that does not make it right ) - and that's what that particular company is doing with a large PF of stolen images to support its advertising income revenue or whatever else it is up to in the background . . they certainly aint running that sight out of charity ! Its part of a global publishing company with an advertising income revenue and a 12 year track record !


Absolutely agree...thanks pulsar69

Jamie_MacArthur
14 Apr 2013 - 10:37 PM

I keep having this problem ;-(

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43650 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 10:50 AM

My images are obviously not good enough to be 'borrowed'Sad

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 15 Apr 2013 - 10:50 AM
Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
15 Apr 2013 - 3:24 PM

There is an excellent article on this very subject by Odgen Chesnutt on the back page of this week's Amateur Photgrapher (April 20 issue). I was going to scan it and post it here as a contribution to the debate - but it might have been a breach of copyright to do that!

Smile

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43650 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2013 - 3:41 PM


Quote: There is an excellent article on this very subject by Odgen Chesnutt on the back page of this week's Amateur Photgrapher (April 20 issue). I was going to scan it and post it here as a contribution to the debate - but it might have been a breach of copyright to do that!

Smile

I am sure it is OK as long as you state where the article comes from.
(don't shoot me if I'm wrong)Wink

Last Modified By saltireblue at 15 Apr 2013 - 3:41 PM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2013 - 6:33 PM

BANG!

It's still a breach of copyright even if you state the source. Unless you have the expressed consent of the writer.

Dvaid
Dvaid  5168 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Apr 2013 - 2:43 PM

I too found that a publisher was using one of my photos that they had stripped from panoramio for their book on "Dog walking" routes.
When I contacted them they were apologetic and assured me that there was an accreditation later in the publicatio. However it would have been polite to ask me first, and send me a tenner too!

mymindseye
17 Apr 2013 - 2:57 PM

I have served a take it down notice to the link in Saltireblue comment (second link down) and within minuets received this back..

Hi

The image was removed.

We do not indend to infringe copyrights.

Have a nice day

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.