Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling / Pricing C6 Cards

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mouse12mat
25 Jun 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi all.

New to the forum.

Have recently started taking my photography seriously after many years as a hobby am tog!

I have decided to start mounting pictures, after all most of them are on hard drives never to see the light of day. Having done the mounting bit etc. I started to think more about greetings cards. I have a few pictures I plan to use.

I purchased today a pack of Hahnemuhle photo Rag 308gsm (after reading a previous thread about this card stock) together with C6 Enverlopes and Cellos from On-Line Paper. (They are only 15mins drive from me and the owner lives about 3 miles from me!)

The quality of the card is fantastic. Never done this sort of stuff before so I'm really pleased and can recommend the stuf and On-Line paper. Im printing on a Canon IP3600 using a setup I have previously used for printing on Canon Photo Glossy Pluss 11 Paper with Photoshop managing the colour. One of the cards features the Mirrored swans picture in my portfolio.

The crux of all this is...... what to charge for a C6 greetings card. Cost wise, without including the inks (Not got round to working out how much ink I'll use to print all 50 cards) the cost is 75pence each. (Remember, Im not paying postage from On Line Paper).

I recently purchased a couple of cards form a local photographer who has a gallery not far from here. The quality of the card is not as good as the hahnemuhle, but he is charging is out at £1.50. The cards are marginally bigger than the C6 I'm printing.

Any recommendations reguarding pricing etc would be greatly appreciated. Like I have said, this is a whole new ball game for me. As to where I'm going to sell them, I have a few ideas in my head, but any input on that score would be great to.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jun 2010 - 10:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DianeH
DianeH  1029 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jun 2010 - 1:22 PM

I've printed quite a few A6 (C6 envelope size) cards for some craft fairs I've just started doing, and I have priced mine at £1.50. Some cards were pre-scored direct printable, and some had a cut-out aperture for the image to fit behind. Some came with envelopes, but some I had to order envelopes separately. I then put them in clear cello bags with a contact details label on the back. I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but I have a few more fairs booked for the next three months so we'll see what happens.

I also did some mounted prints: I managed to sell three 9x7 to one lady, and then at the next fair I sold an A4 size print. Prices for those were £10 and £20 respectively.

FatHandedChap
30 Jun 2010 - 1:48 PM

I use A6 card blanks which I print contact details on and then mount a photo on the front - these retail at £1.75. There's some DL size cards as well which retail at £2.50.

Tony

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109967 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2010 - 2:25 PM

I'm another who prices my C6 cards + envelope + transparent bag + sticky label at £1.50. I print directly onto the fine art paper, hand fold to C6 then pack and I reckon my costs are around .85p/card. Small margin but high volume seems to be the answer around here (I'd be hard pushed to get more that £1.50 - unfortunately)

Nickscape
Nickscape  7692 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2010 - 3:51 PM

I charge £2 for a 10cm x 10cm card and £3 for 20cm x 10cm card with envolpe and bag and have never had a problem selling them. I use card blanks that are like a photo mount and the photo sits behind which tend to look cleaner than a 6" x 4" stuck on the front as it hides the edges & you can then sign it like a mounted print. costs are about £1 per card.

mouse12mat
5 Jul 2010 - 7:19 AM

Thanks all for your comments. Been away on holiday for a week and had a mooch around some of the local craft/gift shops etc. Most C6 cards seem to be around £1.50 to £2.00 which is what we have all been saying.

Costs for mine including envelope and cello bags are £0.75 each. So making 100% profit isn't too bad. As brian1208 says, low margin and high volume is the way to go.

HuwJHopkins
5 Jul 2010 - 5:30 PM

Just out of interest, where do you plan on selling them?

mouse12mat
6 Jul 2010 - 7:07 AM

HuwJ

I'm fortunate enough to have many Tea Rooms selling cards etc plus of course there are lots of craift shops willing to sell other people work.

Also looking at selling online, using paypal as the payment processor. Its not as expensive at it first seems using paypal.

dasantillo
5 Nov 2010 - 7:49 AM

I sell my C6 cards for £1 each and C5 cards for £1.50. It costs me 20p for C6 card with envelope and biodegradable sleeve whereas the C5 card, envelope and biodegradable sleeve. Trade Price I sell to shops is 50p and 75p respectively. These prices are comparable to shops and other crafters in the south Wales and south east Cornwall areas where my main markets are.

It's far cheaper to get my cards from FilePrint than it is for me to print them. I get envelopes and biodegradable sleeves from Craft Creations - buy 500 envelopes and get a huge discount - join their craft club for £12 I think and get a further 10% and cheaper postage. I've used both companies for years and both have been very reliable and good. FilePrint occasionally have slight colour shifts with their printing, but at the end of the day it's a greetings card that will be on someone's desk for a week and they're only paying £1 for it. They will do reprints if there's a problem. The finish to get is Heavy Card Silk. Get a sample and see what you think is the best way.

dasantillo
5 Nov 2010 - 8:08 AM

A couple of points I forgot about FilePrint:
- The print quantities are cumulative: Print 10 copies of 20 different designs and you get the price for 200 copies
- Their print driver/ftp upload doesn't work on Windows 7 64bit so I just uploaded via their site.

The C5 envelopes I get from Craft Creations aren't true C5 size so make sure you set the document size properly in Photoshop and FilePrint trim to a size that will fit. The C6 envelopes are fine for A6 cards.

Chris_H
Chris_H  101471 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2010 - 8:16 AM

Quote: I'm fortunate enough to have many Tea Rooms selling cards etc plus of course there are lots of craift shops willing to sell other people work.

Remember the outlet is going to want quite a big margin so if it costs you 75p and it sells for £1.50 it is going to leave you with virtually no profit. You have to decide if you are going to sell a number of cards on a sale and return basis or if you are going to sell a load of cards at a set price and get paid straight away.

The prices of greetings cards have come down a lot in last few years. I remember about three of four years ago I could get hundreds of A5 greetings cards printed for a craft fair priced at £2.50 each and after doing a craft show I would sell out and never have enough. Today there are so many people selling handmade cards and a lot of the A5 ones I see in the shops around here are priced at just £1 and they are good quality from a really good photographer so it's no longer really worth my effort selling them at all.

If you want to make more profit you will have to look at getting them printed elsewhere or just sell them direct to the public. I used to pay about 27p for mine and thatís with envelopes and clear bags. If you outsource them you can also get them printed onto a much heavier paper that gives the felling of a much product, I used to use 360 or 400 as it made a big difference to the quality of the card.

Hope this helps and good luck

Last Modified By Chris_H at 5 Nov 2010 - 8:21 AM
mouse12mat
11 Feb 2011 - 10:41 AM

I know this is an old thread which I started but I thought I'd update it.

Someone her made a suggeston to use fileprint.org.

Well, I have now started using fileprint.org to print my C6 cards and they are pefect for the job.

I started by using their C6 template, downloaded it to get the sizing right and then manipulated it in photoshop.

One thing to nite though is that on the website, if you are doing a C6 card or similar they say you need to upload two pages, one for the outside and one for the inside. All my cards are blank inside so after my inital order with two pages as requested, I now only upload the one page. Makes the price very keen too.

On buying 45 cards, the toal cost including postage, cellos and envelopes comes in at about 45 pence per card. I currently selling my cards at £2.00 each. The retalier takes 15% which is 30 pence, so my profit is over a pound per card which isnt bad at all.

Hope that helps anyone looking to do the same thing.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85795 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the update - useful information Smile

I must give Fileprint a crack on some cards - I've a small shop in town that might be interested in trying out a few and nothing is going to happen if I don't get them printed!

mouse12mat
11 Feb 2011 - 11:23 AM

Go for it Cattyal.

Ive only just put my cards into a shop after 8 months!!!!!!!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85795 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2011 - 11:26 AM

A job for this weekend then - when I'm not out photographing 15 teams of morris dancers Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.