Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ray1
    ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 2:57 PM

I'm possibly looking to sell one of my lenses and know I can place an ad in the classifields section. I dont want to use the other well known place due to some of the horror stories and therefore have some concerns about selling on line. As I have never sold anything on line before what are the possible Pitfalls to look out for.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Apr 2010 - 2:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 2:59 PM

An alternative is to sell through the likes of Ffordes where they take 20% of the sale price, but they deal with any hassles and give a trial period and warranty to the buyer, so you tend to get a better price. Also try MPB and Mifsuds.

Last Modified By csurry at 24 Apr 2010 - 3:00 PM
    bangalicious
    24 Apr 2010 - 3:00 PM

What lens are you selling?

ray1
    24 Apr 2010 - 3:06 PM

Quote: An alternative is to sell through the likes of Ffordes where they take 20% of the sale price, but they deal with any hassles and give a trial period and warranty to the buyer, so you tend to get a better price. Also try MPB and Mifsuds.

Thanks for that i will look into your suggestions.

Bangalicous - If I sell it which I probably will - it a Sigma EX 105 2.8 Macro (Nikon Fit) used once for a project and probably had 5 pics taken with it so as new as new can be. I just dont use it and macro stuff is not my thing so I had just as well sell it and buy something that I will make more use of.

We have a for sale section on our work website so I might try there forst as that way I get to see the buyer and no posting etc is involved.

Last Modified By ray1 at 24 Apr 2010 - 3:09 PM
    User_Removed
    24 Apr 2010 - 4:17 PM

Sell it on Ebay and stipulate payment by Paypal.

I have bought and sold well over 1300 items on Ebay, including my present D300 camera and half a dozen lenses. My most expensive purchase was probably the D300 and the most expensive sale was a Jaguar car.

No problems at all.

Just take all the sensible precautions - such as being scrupulously honest in your description of the lens and not posting it until the money is safely in your Paypal account. Oh - and say you will only post to verified Paypal addresses and post (and charge) by Special Delivery with enhanced compensation according to the value of the item.

I have also heard some horror stories about online transactions - but in every case the complainants have been total numpties. Be sensible and cautious and you won't go wrong.

Eric

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123897 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 5:42 PM

also re Ebay ditto the above and I confine my sales to UK buyers only; perhaps restrictive but safer.

Last Modified By peterjones at 24 Apr 2010 - 5:42 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 5:48 PM

Agree with Eric, If you are carefull Ebay is not as bad as some make out.

Its not perfect, But nothing is today, Your just as likely to get someone trying to buy your gear, Then ask you to post it to somewhere in Africa, But of corse they need to have your " Bank " details ( according to them ) before they can proceed......Sad That scam is as old as the Internet.....Wink And one that came via the EPZ classifieds too....Grin

However as I say, So long as you remain wary, Double check the prospective purchaser, Make sure that in EPZ clasifieds for example that you recieve and cash any payments " Before " You part with the goods, Its a great way to sell camera gear......Smile As 9 times out of 10, You can see who you are dealing with via thier membership status.....Grin

I have not been as busy as Eric on ebay, But I have around 500 (100%) Positive feedbacks from sales as well as purchases over an 8 year period, Sure I have had the odd scam buyer try thier luck......But they tend to get an " Unprintable on here " reply.....Using the 2 same letters for starters " F-O " .....Smile I always make a point of reporting anything even vaguely suspicious.

Anyhow the lens your selling is a very popular item, I would be seriously suprised if you did not get a decent price for it, By advertising it on ePHOTOzine classifieds, To a genuine buyer......Smile

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    24 Apr 2010 - 5:59 PM

Quote: Sell it on Ebay and stipulate payment by Paypal.

You don't actually have any choice about that, Paypoo is compulsory. Also offer Payment (cash on collection) and bank transfer, as you may get lucky and avoid Paypoo fees.

I don't know why sellers think PP is best for them its not, its the most expensive option and low feedback sellers can now have their payment put on hold until the buyer leaves positive feedback or after 21 days (whichever occurs 1st).

bangalicious
    24 Apr 2010 - 6:17 PM

Ray, please PM me with your asking price.

Regards,

Anil.

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2010 - 9:49 PM

Hello Ray.... Please also PM me what you are after for the lens. Smile

Just incase Bang doesnt want it Wink

ray1
    25 Apr 2010 - 8:42 AM

PM's sent

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.