Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8333 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have a number of items I have decided to move on, including:
- a Canon EF 28-105 f.3.5-4.5 with metal mount, made in Japan, "Macro" and red dot showing on lens barrel
- a Panasonic Lumix GF2 kit with 14mm pancake and 14-42mm zoom lens

Selling on ebay, as I'm sure we all know, can be an absolute nightmare unless you put on a reserve price, which can then frighten away the buyers - but at least that weeds out the 'hopefuls' who are looking to pick up a 200 lens for 99p.

Has anyone ever sold anything on Amazon? For example, I see the above-mentioned Canon lens is going there for 159.99, used (lowest price). But on ebay the same lens might typically sell for 80 or thereby.

I might have to face the fact that digital equipment simply does not hold its value, at least as far as potential ebay buyers are concerned, but I'll be damned if I'll give the stuff away.

Any advice from members who have faced a similar predicament would be most welcome. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jan 2013 - 11:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart
andart  12480 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jan 2013 - 12:03 PM

I've not tried Amazon (no idea what their costs would be) but have had sucess using epz classifieds.

Last Modified By andart at 27 Jan 2013 - 12:05 PM
seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7577 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
27 Jan 2013 - 12:07 PM

My son sells on Amazon, he much prefers it to eBay, says it is much less complex.

andart
andart  12480 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jan 2013 - 12:15 PM

I've just had a look at Amazon - it seems you could end up paying over 20% comission to them, if I have understood their info correctly.

User_Removed
27 Jan 2013 - 12:32 PM

Not sure why you are so worried about eBay. I find it absolutely brilliant for both buying and selling cameras and lenses whenever I upgrade my kit. Certainly no trace of the "nightmare" you imagine.

The real benefit - and it is a huge one - of eBay is that is has many, many times more potential buyers than any other sales medium. So you are virtually guaranteed to get something around a fair "market value"

Sometimes you score even better than that.

I bought my Nikon D3s secondhand on eBay and sold it on eBay 18 months later for a bit more than I paid for it.

Similar situation more recently with a Nikkor 16-35mm lens.

I reckon that, in the past 5 years or so, I have sold 100 photographic items in the 500 - 3000 price range on eBay and I have always been pleased (and sometimes delighted) with the prices achieved. I always start bidding at 99p with no reserve and never had any worries about doing it that way.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Jan 2013 - 12:34 PM
widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 12:51 PM

Try epz classifieds worth a punt

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8333 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 1:10 PM

Thanks everyone, that is very helpful. Personally, I've done extremely well out of ebay when it comes to buying. When selling, though, I've found that some of the 'guide' prices for similar items seem a tad on the low side. Indeed, I have heard of people who've had to let stuff go for ridiculously low prices simply because there weren't enough bidders to ramp things up. I guess you just have to pay your money and take your chances.

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 1:39 PM

On EBay, your selling items could be well down the list and never get seen by everyone. You pay to have goods put up on the first section of pages, otherwise you could find yourself way down. I lost a fortune selling some gear quite a few years ago, but never seem to find a bargain like the ones I sold. Why not go on and take a good look at what the prices are. Also some of the things for sale could be of poor quality, whereas yours could be as new.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111072 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 2:40 PM

you know what they say quality sells ! what you have is ?

User_Removed
27 Jan 2013 - 2:52 PM

Quote: On EBay, your selling items could be well down the list and never get seen by everyone. You pay to have goods put up on the first section of pages, otherwise you could find yourself way down..

That is simply not true.

eBay displays items according to the search criteria specified by the pprospective buyer - the default is usually "Time Left", i.e. items meeting the search criteria come up the list as their time progresses and end up at the top before the finish time. If you want, you can also specify other criteria, such as "distance from seller" (which I have used, for example, when buying caravans on eBay).

For example, when I was selling my Nikkor 16-35mm lens recently, there were only two listed on eBay at the time, so anyone searching for that lens only saw two items. I listed mine with an initial price of 99p, got 67 (from memory) "watchers", and ended up with 16 people bidding and a sale price of 745. That was well above the 80% of current new price that you would normally expect from an eBay sale of a good quality lens.

Similarly, when I sold my D3s, I listed it at 99p, got (from memory) about 50 "watchers" and got something in the region of 20 bids with a sale price of 2995 (200 more than I paid for it 18 months earlier).

I think that part of the success on eBay comes down to careful and honest classification and descriptions when selling and knowing the right questions to ask when buying.

Also, when buying, have a maximum price firmly in mind. For example, I am currently watching a Nikon D800E that ends in about 40 minutes. I know the top whack I would pay for it. If it has not gone above that figure a few seconds before the auction ends, I will submit a bid of my top price and hope to get it for maybe 100 less than that. (Actually, I don't expect to gert it at all as I am pretty sure that someone else will bid more than I am prepared to pay in this instance. I'll report back and let you know.)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Jan 2013 - 3:00 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72332 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 3:02 PM

Quote: Selling on ebay, as I'm sure we all know, can be an absolute nightmare unless you put on a reserve price, which can then frighten away the buyers - but at least that weeds out the 'hopefuls' who are looking to pick up a 200 lens for 99p.

I have not experienced the nightmare - I always start auctions at 99p which have always reached an acceptable price at auction end, sometimes better than expected.
Placing a reserve always adds to the cost of selling fees I think?

The lens you mention, seems to be finishing auction for roughly between 50 and 100, so if you prepare yourself for 50 return, anything else is a bonus Smile

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jan 2013 - 3:16 PM

It appears that Wilkinson Cameras are now buying second hand online that takes away the uncertainties of auction sites .
What they offer may not be one that you cant refuse though.

Steppenwolf
27 Jan 2013 - 3:17 PM

I've sold loads of stuff on ebay and have always got a decent price - it's just a pity that the commission is so high. Ebay hits a huge market. I usually just do a 10 day auction and start the price at 99p unless it's an item that is going to have a limited market (when it's best to put a reserve on it).

You need to have good feedback (I don't look at anyone who has under 100%) and you need to provide good photos and a good (preferably literate) description of the items. You'll get vastly more than a camera shop will offer.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 27 Jan 2013 - 3:18 PM
User_Removed
27 Jan 2013 - 3:44 PM

Quote:
Also, when buying, have a maximum price firmly in mind. For example, I am currently watching a Nikon D800E that ends in about 40 minutes. I know the top whack I would pay for it. If it has not gone above that figure a few seconds before the auction ends, I will submit a bid of my top price and hope to get it for maybe 100 less than that. (Actually, I don't expect to gert it at all as I am pretty sure that someone else will bid more than I am prepared to pay in this instance. I'll report back and let you know.)

Just as I suspected.

When I posted above, the camera was sitting on 1771. I had decided that the maximum I would pay was 1825.

As the end of the auction approached, it was still at 1771, so, with 12 seconds to go, I submitted my bid. Unfortunately two other bidders followed a similar strategy and it sold for 1882.

I am happy in that I was not tempted to pay more than I wanted. And I am sure that both the seller and the buyer will be very happy with the transaction. WIN-WIN-WIN

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Jan 2013 - 3:45 PM
KingBee
29 Jan 2013 - 5:33 PM

Well, I've put both my Canon 28-105 and Panny GF2 kit on ebay, 0.99 starting price, no reserve. It'll be interesting to see what happens, and I hope I do as well as some of you think I might.

My auction ends Sunday around mid-day. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again to all who have given me their thoughts thus far.

Bob

Last Modified By KingBee at 29 Jan 2013 - 5:34 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.