Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Selling ALL my stuff...

NikLG 9 1.7k England
14 Feb 2008 1:47PM
Reluctantly I have decided to get shot of all my DSLR gear. I need the money and it seems the logical thing to do ( will probably get back into it at a later date.. )

I was hoping that some of you on here could give me some advice re. selling it. I would prefer to do it all in one job lot, but am not sure if a private sale or approaching Gray's or someone like that would be an option.

Kit consists of ( might miss something out.. ) :-
D200 body
Battery grip ( Nikon MB20 or whatever it's called.. )
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Sigma 10-20 ( with CP )
Sigma 100-300 f4
Sigma 1.4 TC
Nikon 18-70
Kenko extension tubes
Right angle viewfinder
5 or 6 1meg CF cards
Spare battery ( 2 in total )
Quick charger ( Nikon )
Lowepro AW mini-trekker backpack
Manfrotto tripod ( o55B I think )
Monfrotto monopod ( modo )
Manfrotto monopod ( neotech, missing foot.. )
Manfrotto ball head ( 486rc2 I think, and spare QR plate )
Wired release ( one of those ones off eBay )

Boxes for everything ( except the backpack )

As far as I can recall the whole lot set me back about 3.5K
Probably looking for 2.5 - 2k for it all maybe.. ( in total ) thought I am unsure of the second hand prices of a lot of things so might be nearer the 2k mark...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2008 1:51PM
Don't sell.........you'll kick yourself later.
Doclassie 9 1.1k England
14 Feb 2008 1:54PM
I'd be tempted to ebay the lot. Its more hassle (as you'd be better off selling each item individually) but you'll likely make more money in total.

People are often put off if all they want is a body and you bundle it with a lens..... so be wary of that. However, throwing in a couple of cards and a spare battery will often make yours stand out from the others. Same for the lenses, bung in the filters/tubes and you'll get more interest. Don't forget to put in each auction "please check out my other stuff as I'm selling lots of gear" or words to that effect.

Nice bunch of kit though. Shame you have to flog it all. I hope you manage to buy another set at some point in the future.
sidaorb 8 3.9k 2 England
14 Feb 2008 1:56PM
Nick, just to echo Cathy's words dont do it mate, you'll lose way to much money and will always end up playing catch up after building such a useful collection of gear.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2008 1:59PM
There must be something else you could sell.....
NikLG 9 1.7k England
14 Feb 2008 2:02PM
Thanks guys. I will speak to my girlfriend tonight, she might talk me out of it ( it is Valentine's day after all, she should be nice to me Smile ).

I don't really want to do e-bay because of all the hassle..

Anyroad, you never know I might keep hold of it, else there will be very long small ad popping up here in the near future.. ( unless someone with a fat cheque book and a love of Nikon is reading this ? ) Smile
Cephus 10 2.1k England
14 Feb 2008 2:02PM

Quote:There must be something else you could sell.....

Don't go there

Smile
NikLG 9 1.7k England
14 Feb 2008 2:03PM
...I wouldn't get too much for that... Tongue
cambirder 10 7.2k England
14 Feb 2008 2:38PM

Quote:I don't really want to do e-bay because of all the hassle..

The hassle is worth it, second hand DSLR's and lenses make very good prices, but hopefully you won't have to sell the things at all.
14 Feb 2008 3:52PM
selling my cameras or getting rid of a girlfriend?
easy choice(cameras don,t nag)keep mhold of it
NikLG 9 1.7k England
14 Feb 2008 4:09PM
She isn't the reason for it's sale...and I'd choose her over a camera any day of the week.... Smile
WelshKiwi 6 3.2k 2 Wales
14 Feb 2008 4:12PM
Nik, you have just made all the girls go awwww bless.

Hope you can find another way round it. Smile

Lee Smile
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
14 Feb 2008 4:14PM
You will regret selling it...

My only advice would be perhaps sell the bits you can do without that hold there price more.

EG some of the lens you wont make too big a loss on, if you need the money and want to buy back later.

But if you bought new and there good nik then you going to end up being out pocket big time.

Tommy
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
14 Feb 2008 4:20PM
Isn't there anything else you can sell? Smile

.... your grandmother, maybe? Wink
NikLG 9 1.7k England
14 Feb 2008 4:50PM
It's just that I haven't used any of it at all for the past 4-5 months, and it seems to be just gathering dust...so appears to be a good thing to get shot of. Maybe if I hang on to it till the weather is more condusive ( ? ) to photo taking I will feel differently...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.