Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Selling copywrite

davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2007 2:34PM
I put this up previously under someone else's banner -

trying again Smile

I have an enquiry from a business fella wanting a headshot for brochures, web site, and press -

It occurs that selling the copywrite would be the simplest way around ??

I'm happy with what I will charge for the sitting + two or three prints - but the copywrite charge I have little idea about -

any ideas and or opinions about the advisability of selling the

If I said sitting fee + 300 for unlimited use ??? I'd suppply digital prints

thank you

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
16 Oct 2007 2:41PM
charge him a one off fee with a licence of useage, ie for banners one year useage etc
think I would charge 250 sounds a lot less than 300 but in reality on a little less
NevP 9 853 13 Canada
16 Oct 2007 2:41PM
I think it mostly comes down to what you are comfortable selling your work for and how much potential income will be lost by selling the copyright.
The thing about potential income is that without realising the cash at some point it's just a joke without a punchline.
There will be people following me saying never sell the copyright. Is 300 enough or you?
davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2007 3:09PM
Thanks Paul just what I wanted to hear

I hear you well NevP - selling an average jo businessman (my assumption - could be Al Fayed of course Smile ) his mush and copywrite for 250 has a feeling that I shan't be loosing too much down the line - I feel for this grab the money and move - learn by my mistakes!

Dave
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
16 Oct 2007 3:13PM
Use the copyright sale as a bargaining point to charge more than you would otherwise...

Study your plumber's technique carefully and practise sucking teeth "Aaaah! You want copyright..." suck suck. "Well, we don't normally do that... but I suppose..." suck suck.
davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2007 3:18PM
No the suggestion is mine rather than getting into distribution numbers etc - trying to get simple for the moment Smile -

but I'll keep the lip smacking, gum sucking, teeth clacking (or variations thereon ) technique in mind Smile

db
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
16 Oct 2007 3:25PM
Well you can still use the technique anyway, but make it as a bright smiley happy selly point - "we charge so much for the sitting - then if you want to use the images for X it'll cost so much and then again if you want it for Y you'll have to pay that much, and if you also want it for Z then it'll cost SO much too... [sucking of teeth]... OR of course we can just give the images and do what you want with them for (SOOOO much)."

9 times out of 10 they'll just buy all rights to the images - at least you've made them realise that they've got a really good deal and avoided having to pay you all sorts of usage fees and future hassle. No point in just giving away rights without making the client realise that you're being really generous... Even if you wouldn't have any other future use for the images.

Consider tho' hanging on to the right to use them in promotional material, depending on the circs.
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2007 3:36PM
My commerical rates are different to private portraits, typically a standard hourly rate for shooting, another rate for post-processing. Images delivered digitally for them to use as required. It's not as though you're doing advertising work so I don't see the point in issuing license terms on corporate headshots, but the end figure would be in the same ball-park.
davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2007 4:27PM
Thanks all I've gone and submitted my quote - will see how he responds Smile

db
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
16 Oct 2007 6:32PM
This is my input from that thread David...

Quote:Never sell the David is my council... 300 for a one-day fee is not unreasonable in my view; get a clear, concise and agreed list of precise usage and cost out accordingly. As an indicator, four of my images were used in one magazine and I was paid 120...

I'm sure others will pitch in and offer further council here.

Hth's...
davidbailie e2
11 451 6 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2007 9:31AM
Cheers Mike - I accept and believe in the principle and in general would keep a tight rein - but as in all areas of life one makes adjustments according to the circumstances --

In any event in this case the Punter took off like a startled rabbit and to my knowledge may still be scampering Smile

Ty db

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.