Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Selling images thru downloads....?

Mrs_Nomad 5 8 Spain
23 Mar 2009 10:33AM
I've been looking at the Shutterstop site where you can upload images then get paid for them when people download them.
If you use these sites to earn money how do you find them - ie is it worth it, do you then forfeit all future rights to the image if someone else approaches you for it?

I'd be interested in any feedback you can give on them.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

magnus 10 661 5 United Arab Emirates
23 Mar 2009 11:01AM
Could you provide a link please?
yellowduke 6 303 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2009 11:25AM
Looks like it is Shutterstock.com.
24 Mar 2009 4:50AM
Ok - I had a look. I've never submitted to agencies before and this looks like a relatively pain free introduction.
Along with the OP, I too would be interested to hear of anyones experiences.
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2009 7:30AM
i use Fotolia(.com) and ive sold 6 in about 2 years! very slow and you cannot extract any monies until you reach a 50 credits @60p per credit in your "account" even though i have sold these 6 images it equates to about 4.68.
matt.
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
24 Mar 2009 7:45AM
It's called Microstock !!
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
24 Mar 2009 8:18AM
Thanks for the link, Ian. It's good to see an objective discussion of the microstock model which lays out the pros and cons well.

It can be a very contentious subject when discussed on the forums!
24 Mar 2009 8:50AM
Shutterstock is the one I was looking at as Jim suggested.
Mrs_Nomad 5 8 Spain
24 Mar 2009 9:22AM
Mohican22 - Ahh.... I suppose the more images you upload then the more chance you have of 'selling' some...out of interest how many have you uploaded? 6 in 2 years isn't much is it? An if you can't access the dosh no matter how little then it's possibly not worth it.
Coltsfoot 7 22 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2009 10:17AM
I've used fotolibra, no joy but that may be related to how little effort I've put in.
yellowduke 6 303 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2009 10:46AM
Shutterstock don't seem to take any nude content either which kyboshes my idea of selling some of my arty nudes. Different sort of service but Photobox doesn't take nudes either so can't sell through them either. Still useful for other stuff though.
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
24 Mar 2009 2:11PM
I haven't used any of these microstock sites, and wouldn't, but I think that the folowing is a rough summary of pros and cons. No doubt others can add their own points, or correct mine:

pros:

(1) Easy way of getting your images online - generally these sites are not too fussy about quality so you're unlikely to be rejected.
(2) you might make a few quid out of your photos
(3) They're your images to do what you like with, so if you want to give them away for peanuts, that's your right

cons:

(1) You're allowing yourself to be shafted by giving away rights to your images for way below what they are potentially worth.
(2) You are giving away the ability to sell your images in the future through normal stock at more reasonable prices - if the normal stock agency finds out about it that is.
(3) You're helping to kill the already half dead professional photography market so you are doing photography and photographers as a whole a big disservice.
(4) Possible damage to your reputation and to your own market if you ever intend to be a pro-semi-pro in the future. And one of the 100 people who've downloaded your pic for 1 each might just have bought your image from a normal stock agency, or from you directly, for a decent price.
(5) You are losing control over your own images in return for almost nothing - in effect you are giving your images away to anyone that's willing to give you a 1, and saying they can do what they want with them. Once you've done that, you can never undo it.
(6) Loss of satisfaction and sense of achievemet. If you sell an image through a normal stock library, you can pat yourself on the back that someone picked your image out from thousands and was willing to pay a fair amount for it. If you sell your images 100 times through microstock, you know that you have been screwed a 100 times.
(7) In most cases, you'll probably earn more money by putting them in traditional stock. You won't earn a fortune, but you have to make an awful lot of microstock sales to get the equivalent of one 'normal' stock sale.

Errr, I think that's most of it - have I left anything out?

Anyone here who thinks microstock is a good idea, please pm me - I wonder if you would offer me your house for 10? And I'l give you 2 for your car Smile
bigjohna 6 22 Scotland
31 Mar 2009 11:08AM
Can you suggest the best way then to try and sell images I am new to this and would like some sound advice on the best way forward and who are reputable agencies/libaries etc..

Regards

Johna
PWhittle 8 176 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2009 4:28PM

Quote:Shutterstock don't seem to take any nude content either which kyboshes my idea of selling some of my arty nudes. Different sort of service but Photobox doesn't take nudes either so can't sell through them either. Still useful for other stuff though.

istock do - and they've sold some of mine
I'm off to blow my 4.90 commission for 7 sales...
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
31 Mar 2009 4:32PM

Quote:I'm off to blow my 4.90 commission for 7 sales...

Why not withdraw them and put them on Alamy? Hardly a road to riches, but not that bad!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.