Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling photo equipment

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
15 Feb 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hey,
Apart from the classifieds on epz where do you guy's sell your old/unwanted camera kit? I've always used ebay, mainly because it's easy and you could offer cash on collection as an option. But now you can't and you have to offer paypal as the only payment option.

I have a few things I want to sell and need a place that has good visitor rate and reputation.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Feb 2009 - 10:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
15 Feb 2009 - 10:43 AM

By far the best option pricewise is ebay.
I find Paypal ok, and local pick up can still be arranged...... (I'd think)

Haven't been on eBay for a while, but will be soon selling my Hi-Fi stuff.
Has it changed a lot over the last year.?

Britman
15 Feb 2009 - 10:51 AM

Normally I would be ok with ebay but I really don't like having to use paypal.
My main fear is someone paying by paypal, collecting items in person then claiming the money back saying items faulty and or item never collected. What proof would paypal accept to show someone actually collect items? Most of the time paypal find in favour of buyer.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2009 - 10:53 AM

Problem with ebay is the charges nowadays are just far too high, I think.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 15 Feb 2009 - 10:53 AM
boxer57
boxer57  785 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Feb 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hey Mark,
have you thought about putting them in the for sale sections of photo web site, I have used the for sale section on POTN (photographyonthenet.com) with great succe.

Steve

Snapper
Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2009 - 10:56 AM

It depends on where you live and whether you are OK with people coming to your house, but what about Gumtree?

Britman

hey Steve, how goes it mate?
Yeah it is listed on POTN, already had an enquiry Smile

emmaS
emmaS  841 forum posts United Kingdom

I've always used ebay and usually prefer paypal to cash. I've been unlucky with cash where a buyer has failed to turn up to collect something so I had to relist and also with someone then trying to haggle once they arrived to pick it up. The only downside is the extra charge for using paypal.

So far I've been lucky and no ones quibbled stuff afterwards. You could always print a copy of the receipt and have your buyer sign it on collection to say they've inspected the goods and they're as described.

Britman
15 Feb 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hey Emma, that was my first though but what's to stop them saying that isn't their signature? Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, I've sold lots of camera kit and have never had any trouble.

MrGoatsmilk
15 Feb 2009 - 11:26 AM

Cheers for the gumtree link I have just placed an ad as I have been trying to sell my Mazda Hardtop and Ebay was looking too expensive as usual.

Stu

MrGoatsmilk
15 Feb 2009 - 11:27 AM

Quote: Hey Emma, that was my first though but what's to stop them saying that isn't their signature? Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, I've sold lots of camera kit and have never had any trouble.

Photograph and video them signing it Wink

MadTrace
MadTrace  10268 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Feb 2009 - 1:28 PM

I have used EBay for years with no issues, BUT you have too be savvy, with all the changes in the buyers favor you need to protect yourself.

Set a minimum start price you will be happy with that includes your eBay listing, final value and paypal fees, that way you are not disappointed.

Make it clear in your advert that collection is not an option, you use post only in line with PayPal requirements.

When your buyer has paid, do the postage label via paypal it prints a certificate of posting, and will guarantee up to 36 on standard 1st class, if more valuable use the Special Delivery with 500 insurance. You will then when printing off the label with postage on get a certificate of postage to get signed when handing over the parcel, keep this safe until feedback has been left.

I had one incident when a buyer claimed they had not received goods 4 weeks after they had been posted, paypal automatically froze 36 from my paypal account, I scanned and emailed the certificate of posting over and within 3 hours they had un-frozen the funds. A copy was sent to the buyer who promptly went back into the woodwork with no further complaints!!!! Just a chancer, but paypal sees instantly you have paid for the postage online so are happy.

Other than that sell away, eBay is great you just have to be careful.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
15 Feb 2009 - 2:39 PM

Quote: I've always used ebay and usually prefer paypal to cash. I've been unlucky with cash where a buyer has failed to turn up to collect something so I had to relist and also with someone then trying to haggle once they arrived to pick it up. The only downside is the extra charge for using paypal.

Never take Paypal if someone is collecting the item, otherwise you are wide open to fraud. Cash every time even though Ebay say you have to offer it.

If someone fails to turn up you still have you kit, if some one pays by PP and then collects, they can then claim the item has not arrived, and because you have no proof of delivery they get their money back and you are stuffed.

User_Removed
15 Feb 2009 - 3:26 PM

Some good advice there Tracy - thank you. I have bought on eBay for years but have been a bit reluctant to sell because of some of the points you cover. I have a PP account so your input is reassuring.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
15 Feb 2009 - 4:15 PM

I'm same Mike...bought a fair few small value items but reluctant to sell after I was told about buyers reclaiming cash 4 weeks later :

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.