Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mlharrington
6 May 2010 - 4:52 PM

Hi everyone im a new photographer only aged 15 but i have been told that some of my photography is really good and i am just wondering if anyone has any good ideas of how i could sell some of my photography and graphic work

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 May 2010 - 4:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisStyles
6 May 2010 - 4:59 PM

Have you looked in to starting a web site?? Just an idea.
Chris.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
mlharrington
6 May 2010 - 5:03 PM

i would but i dont know of any websites where i can set up a free website do you by any chance know any

mlharrington
6 May 2010 - 5:08 PM

however i do think that it is a good idea and i will look into it

Hugeknot
Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2010 - 7:24 PM

I started with a free site and I sold more picture than I do now Grin

Just do a google search for 'free web hosting', some will require that you need to do your own coding, easy to learn basic html though. The next big thing would be to create a web album - recommend 'Jalbum'

Oh, but actually having said all that, if you get out and meet people with your prints you will sell more in a day than a year on the web.
Good luck!

Last Modified By Hugeknot at 6 May 2010 - 7:25 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
southsnapper
7 May 2010 - 12:47 AM

Carry a 6x3 photo album around with you as a portfolio, be cheeky and show it to people.

I get asked to photograph peoples dogs when I show them my album if they express interest in me taking photo's of my three springers.

Last year I was asked if I would go along to a whippet racing meet, I sold a fair few images of the whippets coming out of the traps and got asked to do a photoshoot with two whippets called Ronnie and Reggie, they're owners were form London Grin

Last Modified By southsnapper at 7 May 2010 - 12:47 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Fishnet
Fishnet  94976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2010 - 1:07 AM

I have my website with Moonfruit, it's free and as long as you keep your image files small you can get a fair amount on there.

mlharrington
7 May 2010 - 4:01 PM

Thanks everyone ill try a website but if anyone else has anymore ideas i will be open to them

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 74167 forum postsKarenFB vcard England159 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2010 - 4:36 PM

Hi Michael, I see you've been with us since November. It would be lovely to see some of your work on here! Smile

mlharrington
7 May 2010 - 6:27 PM

Hi KarenFB Ill try and put some on over the weekend/next week

photodesigner
21 May 2010 - 3:15 AM

That is something I have been looking into myself but haven't made a decision yet.
you might want to check out: (photo reflect.com) I like the benefits they offer.
Good customer service is so important. They offer to take care of your orders
for a reasonable percentage.printing, shipping Ect.
Browsing their gallery didn't appeal to me (mostly people pictures/family photo albums)
They weren't photos I would consider buying. It could work if people already know where
to find your photos.
Good luck mlharrington. Keep snapping.

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12457 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Have you looked into the idea of posting some of your images with image libraries? If a client wants a specific image, they search the image library, etc... All the various image libraries have different terms and conditions and take different percentages on any images that sell, but it might be worth a go.

User_Removed
23 May 2010 - 9:36 AM

In order to make website selling a success, you need to drive people to your website. Easier said than done! So, in addition to your website, which would be a great shop window, I'd recommend starting local and face to face. What kind of photography and design do you do? what local businesses or special interest groups would that fit with? e.g. if you like to photograph sport, could you approach local teams to see if they would like you to do some photography for them. You will probably have to do a few freebies first, to show them what you can do (and because the market is pretty terrible at the moment/nowadays owing to the recession coupled with everyone thinking they're a photographer) but after that you might be able to build up a few local clients who would commission you to shoot (an easier sell than trying to sell what you already have). Using the same sports team example, you might find that the teams ask you to shoot for free but then you can sell individual prints, which you could automate through your website. Et voila, you have then driven people to your site, they may like your other work and you may get extra sales off the back of that.

Re image libraries, it can take months or years to reach critical mass with a stock library and sales will be slow. It can be disheartening but I'm not going to dissuade you from trying. It is a useful way to make your back catalogue work for you but please bear in mind the time and hard work involved in preparing, keywording and captioning your images. I know you're only fifteen but it's still a good idea to bear ROI (return on investment) in mind. i.e. are you spending more time on preparing your images for upload to a stock library than you are likely to get back in revenue? If yes, then are there any other less tangible benefits to doing so? If yes, then do it. If no, then don't, but re-evaluate at regular intervals.

Lastly, good luck! And yes, we'd love to see your pix in the gallery here!

Jane

Last Modified By User_Removed at 23 May 2010 - 9:38 AM
Phil1958
Phil1958  5272 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

I approached a local framing shop who also sell works of art, posters, photos etc and they were more than happy to sell some of my work for me - only just started and they've sold 4 prints for me with more to follow hopefully,

Phil

Last Modified By Phil1958 at 25 May 2010 - 11:15 PM
RoxyMoo
RoxyMoo  3 England
9 Jun 2010 - 3:47 PM

I am a newbie too, and I have spent a good month just emailing companies asking them if they'd be interested in using my work on their websites/flyers/products etc. So far I have the National Trust interested, so its all about getting yourself and your work out there for the big wide world to see. You may have to start off not getting any money for things, but we all gotta start somewhere.
Good Luck x

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.