Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

amaryllis
amaryllis  10120 forum posts
26 Feb 2004 - 8:15 AM

Congratulations Andy. I'm glad it was those two pics because I know how proud of them you are...well done..!!

phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Feb 2004 - 8:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

naturenut
naturenut  111801 forum posts England
26 Feb 2004 - 8:16 AM

Ah , you beat me to it .. so I now have the answer ;o)

wendy9
wendy9  11475 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2004 - 8:21 AM

That's absolutely fantastic Andy, well done - and to think you didn't give us our personal signed copies on Monday Grin

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2004 - 8:25 AM

Thank you guys,i stood the poster up in our bedroom last night,then dreamt of fame and fortune,came back down to earth this morning and rolled the print up and put it back in the tube(that in itself was fun-not),back to reality.
Andy.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2004 - 8:35 AM

Thank you Wendy,if only i had known,LOL,Ive just been and looked at your excellent portfolio,and I'm embarrassed as i dont think Ive commented on it before,i must go and make amends,goes away red faced.
Andy.

bppowell
bppowell  122124 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2004 - 8:50 AM

It goes to show that it is the ideas that count just as much as the goods. How many other people thought of taking their images along? Well done.

Barry

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2004 - 9:28 AM

That's excellent news Andy, congratulations. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I think I'll start preparing some of my favourites to have printed on 15x10 or A3, then I'll find out how I progress things with the library. They regularly have exhibitions of photos and paintings so it shouldn't be too difficult.

My main problem is going to be how to get them mounted without forking out an absolute fortune, I might try the local photo shop which sold my Manhattan panorama for me. If having them mounted is going to be pricey I may splash out on one of those Longridge mount cutters to which Wendy gave such rave reviews.

Wendy, do you use your 2100 to print out your photos for sale or do you get them printed professionally?

At least if I end up not selling any they can go on my walls. :0)

Ian

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014014 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2004 - 9:39 AM

I got myself a Matmaster from diyframing.co.uk it took about 3 or 4 goes to get the hang of it completly. Since then I have used it for mounting pictures as christmas presents and some of my wifes watercolours. Mountboard cost about 2.50-3 a sheet and you can get 2 good size pics out of one sheet. A friend got a mount cut the other day and was charged 14 and that was smaller than A4 size.

HTH
Chris

FrankThomas
FrankThomas e2 Member 112762 forum postsFrankThomas vcard United Kingdom
26 Feb 2004 - 9:42 AM

I've got one of those Matmasters - takes a bit of getting the hang of but does a very nice job

User_Removed
26 Feb 2004 - 9:46 AM

I use the Mountmaster - as Frank says with his Matmaster - it takes a few attempts to get right but considering the alternative......

flossie
flossie  111557 forum posts
26 Feb 2004 - 9:54 AM

I went to Salts Mill last Saturday, I was just having a wander, looking at the David Hockney stuff (making the most of an hour with no kids!) and I came across the photofolio gallery which I didn't even know was there. There were about 15 exhibitors including Joe Cornish, most of the others I hadn't heard of but there was some fabulous stuff. Having said that, I've seen photos on here that are just as good.
A (very) small print about 5 cm 'ish square in a mount was 30 - 40 which I thought was quite a lot, although it did look very effective. There were A3 and larger ranging from about 100 - 500, all nicely framed. Most were signed but there seemed to be a lot of each of the smaller ones so they weren't a limited edition from what I could see.
Most of the photographers had the range as greetings cards also.
Well worth having a look if anyone is in the area, for the work as well as getting an idea on presentation and price.
There is a web site too with all the pictures on from the exhibitors - photofolio.co.uk

User_Removed
26 Feb 2004 - 10:07 AM

Photography (and any art form) is a skill - a talent. Whilst you can learn the technicalities, this will not turn you into an artist.

Each piece of work that any one of us produces is unique because it comes from within us and cannot be reproduced by another (I am not referring to digital artworks here).

With this in mind, I cannot understand why people are suprised that works of art cost a lot of money (monet? - sorry I digress).

Photography has always suffered in this respect and has been considered as the poor relation of the art field. People are willing to spend hundreds, thousands even millions of pounds on painted work (much of which has a tenuous link to art in my opinion) and yet wouldn't entertain the idea of a beautiful photograph on their wall!

Bizarre or what - but then of course I am a photographer!

Barrie Smile

wendy9
wendy9  11475 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2004 - 10:51 AM

I have a Longridge Mountcutter - and it is a brilliant piece of design. Can't recommend it highly enough. Here's a link to their website. They were also up at the Focus exhibition.

flossie
flossie  111557 forum posts
26 Feb 2004 - 11:06 AM

I didn't say I was surprised they cost a lot of money Barrie, the larger ones were worth every penny - some of them were beautiful.
The price of the tiny ones just didn't seem to be consistent to me personally, they were too small to be of any impact in a frame and too expensive to be a card.

keith selmes
26 Feb 2004 - 1:30 PM

I was signing an A4 before handing it over to an old friend. She offered a couple of quid, but she had already bought me a beer.
She has done some art gallery work, minding the shop etc., so I asked, how much is it really worth ?
'24 quid' she said, no hesitation. 'Framed or unframed?' I said. 'Framed 70, 24 like it is' she said.
I asked if it makes any differnce being an inkjet. She looked very blank. 'Because of the longevity' I said. She remembered I had wittered about this before, and just went who cares. If its going to last about 20 years before it fades, it isn't going to matter, seems to be the idea.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.