Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2004 - 8:33 PM

Is that all,LOL.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Feb 2004 - 8:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

vfr400
vfr400  12886 forum posts
27 Feb 2004 - 12:51 AM

Andy, I told you on Monday that your pictures needed a wider audience. congratulations.
chris

gajj
gajj  1032 forum posts
27 Feb 2004 - 1:50 AM

Andy, I would seriously love to buy some of your Children in Africa photos...how much would you charge? Jan

andytvcams
27 Feb 2004 - 5:19 AM

Many thanks Chris,i guess a seven foot wide poster is a wider audience,LOL,well it is 05.16am and Ive got a 200 mile drive in bad weather to work,have a nice weekend,catch you all Sunday.

Andy..

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2004 - 8:06 AM

Out of interest - does anyone have recomendations as to where you can get postcards printed ??

UserDeleted
27 Feb 2004 - 8:42 AM

Try Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com or .co.uk it matters not all shipped from the US) they do postcards with your own image....

I use them fort business cards for myself and some of my website clients.

I can't recommend them enough

Mike

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2004 - 12:09 PM

Thanks Mike - they lok OK (mind you the quantities seem quite large).

UserDeleted
27 Feb 2004 - 4:47 PM

What were you looking to do with them ?

If you are selling then you need to sell a few to make any profit as the per card will be small.

If you are sending them out as mailings then you are likely to only get 1-3% effectiveness....

It is very expensive to do small print runs so I expect it will cost the same for fewer !

Mike

andytvcams
27 Feb 2004 - 10:09 PM

Thank you Jan,
I'm away from home until Sunday night i will then get back to you with a web address.

gajj
gajj  1032 forum posts
27 Feb 2004 - 10:40 PM

Sounds great - thanks.
Jan

gajj
gajj  1032 forum posts
27 Feb 2004 - 10:41 PM

Sounds great - thanks.
Jan

gajj
gajj  1032 forum posts
27 Feb 2004 - 10:42 PM

Sorry, another thought. You could e-mail me at jgee@utah.gov as well. Take care, Jan

hst
hst  1027 forum posts
28 Feb 2004 - 11:21 AM

HI
Iwould like to put forward a practical solution to anyone who can't afford to purchase fifty or sixty frames and mounts for an exibition. Make them yourself,its easy.Im an artist and do it all the time it can be done for about 10% of the cost.You could have most of the tools you need in your shed
regards HST.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2004 - 5:08 AM

Sorry to back track a little here, but I am interested in the comments about Tax.

Would I need to make a certain amount of money from selling prints before I start declaring Tax, or is the Tex payable no matter how little I make? Would I need to be VAT registered?

Also, if I need to declare the Tax on selling prints, can I claim that the printing/mounting/framing costs are business expenses?

Matt

User_Removed
1 Mar 2004 - 7:06 AM

All income from wherever it comes is liable to income tax. Whether you actually have to pay any is obviously dependent upon other personal circumstances.

As to VAT, here you have a choice (to an extent). If your business turns over (i.e. not just profit) more than a certain threshold (currently 56,000) of taxable goods (i.e. goods that could attract VAT), then you must register for VAT purposes however below that figure you do not need to but can if you wish (sometime it is beneficial to register voluntarily).

Do be careful about launching into business particularly from home. You do need to take proper legal and financial advice. For example, as you say, you can recover the cost of running your business but you may find that once the local authority realises you run your business from home, your Council Tax becomes Business Rates which is not good news.

Obviously, it is too complex an issue to go into any great length here suffice to say that whilst most people do not consider selling the odd print or two to be worth worrying about, you might have difficulty explaining this point of view to the Inland Revenue so it is worth getting qualified advice before you start.

Barrie

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.