Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Selling work

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: no need for witch hunts
Herge88
Herge88 e2 Member 739 forum postsHerge88 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 4:14 PM

Quote: Maybe, but you have to remember that the forums are made up of Pros, semi-pros, enthustiasts, amateurs and everyone in between who each have an opinion and experience

Of course, but the OP was merely expressing an opinion of a particular set of work, and not suggesting that non pro's shouldn't be able to make money from photography, that was the point I was trying to make.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2013 - 4:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 4:27 PM

Quote: The instant someone mentions to me that I might be able to sell my pics, my reply has been the same always, and that is I wouldn't enjoy it if I had the pressures of doing it for money

Another way of thinking about Denny may be, if I only take pictures that excite me, when and as I want to and other people like what I produce and buy it we all win (in my case - even the Tax Man Tongue)

I do agree with the original thoughts regarding the bad reputation that incompetent photographers who tout for and win business (Weddings and other) then screw up the job can give to the truly professional photographers out there - it must be very frustating to lose business in this way

dandeakin
dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 4:44 PM

Perhaps someone should link to the website concerned?

Jestertheclown
13 Jan 2013 - 4:59 PM

Quote: Perhaps someone should link to the website concerned?

That's a good idea.

keithh
keithh  1022805 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 5:16 PM

Ooh. Witch hunt anyone?

dandeakin
dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 5:18 PM

It might be really good!

Jestertheclown
13 Jan 2013 - 5:19 PM

Quote: Ooh. Witch hunt anyone?

Not really Keith. Personally, I couldn't really care less whether or not this person is a potential threat to the future of professional photography as we know it.
I just want to see just how bad his/her images are.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 5:35 PM

Quote: (in my case - even the Tax Man

The tax man, now there's a reason right there to steer clear.Smile I got hit with over $9Gs over and above what I had paid for 2011, and I shudder to think what delights this year's tax return will reveal.

Truth be told, I can't afford to make any more money.Tongue

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 - 7:48 PM

After checking my classification first, to make sure that I didn't fall into this category, my perspective is this. Firstly I class my self as an enthusiastic amateur, meaning that I tend to spend most of my spare time doing something that is linked to photography, either reading about it, taking or looking at pictures or going through forums (of which this is my favourite Grin). I have recently set up my own site as a way to show off my work to family and friends. If someone happens to want a copy then I am happy to talk further.
I think because of the Internet more and more people are starting to advertise work and services for sale. It costs nothing to advertise and certainly in the current climate is a way to try and recoup the increasing costs of our hobby. This is certainly why I would sell my pictures. I have never done shoots for people and probably never will, because I don't want the pressure and am not confident enough in my abilities. Like I said though if someone is mad enough to want to buy one of my images, who am I to refuse.
I would think that if a professional was threatened by my work, he needs to take a hard look in the mirror.

I'm for name and shame too, just want to see how I compare and see if I'm deluded Tongue . The only way to improve is through aspiration!

Jestertheclown
13 Jan 2013 - 8:03 PM

Yeah. OK, they're not the greatest.

Chris fears he may be deluded!

How many of you are out there now, having second thoughts about your own websites, or furtively checking everyone else's . . . ?

C'mon, own up! You know you're thinking about it!

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 5365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 8:13 PM

ok ... normally try to stay out the serious discussions in the forums ..... I know I'm going to regret posting .... but what's the problem?
Tell you what I see .... a young person trying to get on in life.

Jestertheclown
13 Jan 2013 - 8:16 PM

Quote: Tell you what I see .... a young person trying to get on in life.

I agree.
I don't suppose her ambitions will ever mature into anything much but who knows?
At least she's having a go and I can't see how she's realistically a threat to anyone's livelihood.

KevSB
KevSB  101405 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 8:17 PM

Quote: Ok ... normally try to stay out the serious discussions in the forums ..... I know I'm going to regret posting .... but what's the problem?
Tell you what I see .... a young person trying to get on in life.

True, some very snobbish behaviour on here tbh

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 8:18 PM

Quote: Tell you what I see .... a young person trying to get on in life

Yes pretty pointless, live and let live.

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 - 8:25 PM

Ok Jester I admit it and I know what I am Tongue, however having checked I am going to change my classification! (Just kidding btw). What I saw was a few very good shots, surrounded by a collection which to my untrained eye and amateur eye are either under and over expose and a bit messy composition wise. However fair play for putting themselves out there for people to criticise and good luck for the future. Oh and watermark really ruins the pictures.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: no need for witch hunts