Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Selling your soul ????

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
25 May 2012 2:01PM
Here we go again the latest competition this time 'Great British Life' in which you can win 500 quid or more likely a jacket or even nothing states in its t & c

quote"
By entering the competition, participants grant Archant Ltd, its subsidiary companies, and its Competition Partners an irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide royalty-free license to reproduce, publicly display, distribute, publicly perform and create derivative works from their Submitted Materials
end quote"

In other words so goodbye to your photo and and hope to gain a competition prize !

Terrible way to get stock photos in may opinion, shame on Archant and Great British Life.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
25 May 2012 2:42PM
You would think that there should be some best practice compromise statement, perhaps something like:

"By entering the competition, participants grant Archant Ltd, its subsidiary companies, and its Competition Partners an irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide royalty-free license to reproduce, publicly display, distribute, publicly perform and create derivative works from their Submitted Materials, soley for the purpose of publicising the competition and the brand. And this will only apply to the winning entries selected in this competition. After the results date Archant Ltd will have no rights to use non winning photo's for any other purpose and will delete them.

I'd vote for a law that stopped this indiscriminate harvesting practice.
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
25 May 2012 5:09PM
I would think the obvious conclusion would simply be don't enter competions! Grin

Frank.
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
25 May 2012 5:16PM
Better still folks, send in one of your worst photos and blur it into oblivion - then they can do what they like!!Grin

Frank.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
25 May 2012 5:17PM

Quote:I would think the obvious conclusion would simply be don't enter competions! Grin
Frank.

I think most of the pro;s would take this route, but a lot of keen amateurs won't, and many just won't read the T's&C's

Maybe its a bit like the music rip of industry where individuals download track for free, but this time its bigger organisations getting free images from individuals, and so the professional photographic industry is being damaged. The difference is there is not a big organisation like Sony/EMI campaigning for laws to protect the industry.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
27 May 2012 10:13PM
Come on guys - be fair.

No-one is forced to enter those competitions. Let's face it, with very few exceptions, photography competitions are organised and prizes offered for the sole and express purpose of providing the organising company with a wide range of royalty-free photographs to use for their commercial purposes. Why else would they organise competitions? They are not charitable institutions.

Photography magazines do it all the time - for example, Photography Monthly runs a Readers Gallery feature in every edition where they publish maybe 30 readers' images and give a wee memory card to the one the editor thinks is best.

From one point of view, this can be regarded as exploitation. On the other hand, I guess that 99% of all genuine amateur photographers are absolutely delighted if their photograph is chosen for publication.

Is it harming "professional" photographers? Perhaps - but maybe it is time for those "professionals" to simply accept that their time is over, the world has moved on and that the people/organisations who used to commission their work have now found a better way of obtaining images and thereby increasing their shareholders' dividends.

If professional photography is a dying occupation, so be it. The printing industry does not employ many linotype operators nowadays and I don't see many jobs as fishwives being advertised. The world is changing all the time - sometimes for the better; sometimes maybe not. But let's not shed any tears for redundant professional photographers. I reckon that the very best of them will still be in demand for a good while to come, maybe aided by the demise of the dross. The cream has a habit of rising to the top.

Back in the 60s/70s and even into the 80s, purely as an amateur freelancer, I used to regularly get paid for photographs that magazines used for editorial purposes. Nowadays they get their photographs for pennies from "image libraries". That's progress.

But. this year, I got a print accepted for a Royal Photographic Society exhibition - no money involved, but the display of that image in an RPS exhibition game me more satisfaction than a thousand images published for modest fees in magazines.

For genuine amateurs, there is much more to our hobby than filthy lucre.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
27 May 2012 10:17PM
LOl there will be a whole lot more moaning if you had to pay for each entry Smile
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
27 May 2012 10:21PM
I once had a day out photographing squirrels for a magazine, I think I got the better part of the deal Grin

Its a competition they make a magazine, it has a prize if you fancy it then its worth a punt. If not then supply and demand will sort it out. Plenty of photographers will enter just to get a picture in the magazine.

So on balance I would say the magazine is being fair. after all why would they run the competition if they got no content?
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
27 May 2012 10:22PM

Quote:LOl there will be a whole lot more moaning if you had to pay for each entry Smile

I'll buy that. I would much rather give away reproduction rights than have to pay entry fees.
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
27 May 2012 11:51PM
Leftforum , I very much disagree that there is any demise in Professional Photography as a whole , I think certain areas may take a hit whilst others grow but certainly in my field, weddings mainly , there is not now and from what i see wont be any competition in the near future from point and shoots, mobile phones , or uncle bobs. They can add something to the day but they certainly cant compete with or do the job of professional photographers with professional equipment. Admittedly there is an abundance of amateur talent coming up through the ranks ( of which I was once one ) and some are very good, others very bad ( due largely to the availability of low priced DSLRs ) so the market is saturated in some places. That though should be seen as a challenge in these times much the same as every other profession in which you have to very much justify the price you charge for your services.

And can I also congratulate you on your RPS print display , very well done.

However everyone is different, I have had prints displayed , won competitions , had front covers on glossy mags, none of which given me as much pleasure as being paid well to produce a set of photos of the most important days of peoples lives which will be passed on down generations to come.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.