Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

senser Cleaning With Artic Butterfly

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KevSB
KevSB  101406 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 11:30 AM

Untill recently Ive been quite happy using eclipse and swabs to clean my senser, Im quite ofen in a dusty Enviroment around explosive charges so dust is in the air so very difficult to avoid. but ive noticed very bad streaking which is stubborn to remove with eclipse.

Ive sinse used Smear away which has helped remove most of it but ve decided that im not as comfortable doing wet cleans anymore.

So thinking of buying an Artic Butterfly. Is there any problems using this and is there Big difference between the models/kits that paeple could advise on use or economical reasons.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Oct 2012 - 11:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 113063 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 12:14 PM

I've been using the standard one for years in combination with a bulb blower and I've yet to experience a time when they didn't do the job.
If you get one read the instructions about not spinning the brush inside the camera and avoiding touching the inner sides of the camera. (only the sensor) Easy to use.

Ken

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122211 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 2:43 PM

I don't think you need anything but the basic one. They are expensive for what they are, but do the job. As with Ken, I also have a Rocket Blower and between the two have never had a need for wet cleans. Spinning the brush positively charges it before you use it and should get rid of anything the blower doesn't shift.

lemmy
lemmy  71776 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 - 4:19 PM

It's interesting that when I had DSLRs I needed to clean the sensors every now and again.

Now, after a long period with Panasonic and Olympus M43 cameras with no mirror to at least keep muck at bay when changing lenses, I've never had to use a cleaner and the sensor stays pristine.

Does anyone know why this could be? Do they use a different type of sensor self-cleaning from DSLR?

lemmy
lemmy  71776 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 - 5:09 PM

Just to add, if you don't need to do it for the money, why would you?

User_Removed
7 Oct 2012 - 5:51 PM

I bought an Arctic Butterfly about 2 years ago and although fairly expensive, very good at the job.
Wouldn't be without it now.

Glynn
Glynn  81169 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 6:12 PM

Top piece of kit and nothing better TBH

franken
franken e2 Member 113063 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2012 - 6:19 PM

Quote: It's interesting that when I had DSLRs I needed to clean the sensors every now and again.

Now, after a long period with Panasonic and Olympus M43 cameras with no mirror to at least keep muck at bay when changing lenses, I've never had to use a cleaner and the sensor stays pristine.

Does anyone know why this could be? Do they use a different type of sensor self-cleaning from DSLR?

It's been suggested that the instant return mirror in a DSLR can blow dust about inside the camera and it eventually lands on the sensor. I can't obviously confirm this?

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 7 Oct 2012 - 6:20 PM
User_Removed
7 Oct 2012 - 8:18 PM

Yep. The important factor here is that blowers and, indeed, in-camera "dust removal" simply moves the dust about within the camera body and, as sure as God made little monkeys, it will eventually end up back on the sensor.

The Arctic Butterflue, on the other hand, electrostatically removes the dust. The only caution is the one already mentioned - make sure the fibres have completely stopped spinning before allowing them to touch the sensor.

KevSB
7 Oct 2012 - 8:35 PM

Thanks all, ill place an order in the morning, Just wanted some feedback before I commited, Ive seen a few different packages, some with bells on ect so based on the above the basic one is plenty but must order a blower also.

Thanks again

User_Removed
7 Oct 2012 - 9:18 PM

I tried all sorts of overpriced crap then I got a 30 quid sensor loupe (like this) which lit up the sensor and magnified it letting me SEE each speck of dust and easily blow them off the glass, sometimes with a cotton bud to help them on their way.

Any other system where you expose at f22, see dust, clean / swab / brush, try another exposure and repeat is totally relegated to history when you can see the dust on the glass and remove it there and then.

KevSB
7 Oct 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for that chris, I'll do some research on the net Tomorrow, the f22 trick is the bit that is annoying me tbh, the sensor seems to get worse so this could be an option worth looking at.

User_Removed
7 Oct 2012 - 11:32 PM

Kev, that's what I was finding, I'd end up moving it around, sometimes making it worse. Can't recommened those loupes highly enough. You don't need the 70 quid ones either. The 18 quid Chinese ones are good enough but take a couple of weeks to come.

gazzac5
gazzac5  1
22 Oct 2012 - 9:35 PM

I have been using digipads for years now, on amazon for 10 for a pack of 10 with small bottle of fluid, can't go wrong at this price and so easy to use.

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2012 - 11:05 PM

Bought the little brush a couple of months ago and it is worth it. For the first ime I get the dust out, it doesn't just get blow or brushed around.
Swipes are ok, but they leave some smear behind !

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.