Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

senser Cleaning With Artic Butterfly

KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2012 5:23PM
Finally did some more research based on the help here and decided that to cover myself Ive ordered the Butterfly and a loupes set, The loupes set was 20 quid from Fotosense, I Like the aability to check if im sucsessfully claining it with out the pain of keep cleaning, card in, go outside take pic , rinse and repeat, It also apeals to me that for a light clean the butterfly may be the way.
So thanks for your Help

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

30 Oct 2012 11:25AM
Well, I did a full clean earlier today, Used smear away which is supposed to be better than eclipse and under the Loupe it was still showing smears, The artic butterfly worked very well and cleared light dust with no hassle and dust could be back withinn seconds of removing it, which the loupe was quickto show. but without the loupe to check during the operation this would have took much longer, The loupe worked exactly as chriss said and is possibly the best Investment amongst them as I can see quickly during and after the process if im am being successful.

Using the butterfly and loupe alngside each other works well and for now I have what looks like the cleanest sensor ive had in ages. thans again all who helped, for those who dont want to invest in a butterfly and use Pads I would reccomend the loupe kit also.
SueEley 8 271 96 Wales
30 Oct 2012 3:01PM
Interested in the loupe to go with my green clean. 20 is not much money. But I think I got salt water on my sensor on a beach (no, I wasn't changing the lens but the weather was very stormy), and the arctic butterfly and green clean have not removed that. Will have to try wet solutions. Anyone had this particular problem? Sue
30 Oct 2012 3:26PM
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
30 Oct 2012 4:03PM
The thing to remind yourself is that it's not really the sensor you're cleaning. You're cleaning a piece of glass. I'm not saying you clean all glass the same way and readily accept that things like spectacles, lens, phone screen, car window etc demand different levels of attention and methods.

But, it's still just a bit of glass. One time I wiped mine (looking through the loupe) with a bit of e-cloth. There's a whole industry of pads, fancy brushes and expensive liquids that thrive on our fear of sensor cleaning. If you can see what you're doing (loupe is the way), take your time and use your common sense you'll get that bit of glass clean.
artyal 2 3 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 8:24AM
I would highly recommend you the sensor swabs. They are sold in pairs. One swab is damp and contains sensor cleaning liquid (exact amount), second one is dry. There are several manufacturers offering it. The only recommendation from my previous experience is to do cleaning in bathroom where humidity is above the average. Otherwise the dust particles are flying around the room and sensor can get even dirtier while doing a cleaning.
gazzac5 2 7
23 Jan 2013 7:11PM
I have been using Digipads for a few years now, great value for money and great results. They have some good deals on Amazon at the moment and their website.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.