Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sensor cleaner recommendation

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
7 May 2012 11:02AM
After years of use I've finally got something on the sensor that won't come off with my Arctic Butterfly. So what are people finding is best for cleaning sensors these days?

Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
7 May 2012 11:05AM
tried to use swabs, but failed miserably. Ended up going to Calumet (36) Sad
7 May 2012 11:06AM
What went wrong with the swabs?
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
7 May 2012 11:08AM
A pec pad wrapped around a homemade swab (icing spatula) with two drops of Eclipse cleaning fluid has never failed to work for me.
7 May 2012 11:20AM
Cheers Justin, is the icing spatula better or just cheaper?
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
7 May 2012 11:30AM
I have started using swabs form VisibleDust and their Sensor Clean fluid.

If you have a local camera shop ( I have Park Cameras Wink ) it may be worth splashing out and getting it cleaned "professionally". The 3 day service at PC not too expensive and the 1 hour clean ( c 60 ) is for extreme emergencies only !
7 May 2012 11:34AM
I've always cleaned the sensor myself with a Sensor Brush. It doesn't look bad enough to need a professional work over. Just found a small kit of Pec pads and Eclipse for a tenner so have ordered that.

Thanks for the info.
7 May 2012 12:51PM

Quote:Cheers Justin, is the icing spatula better or just cheaper?

It's much, much cheaper and will certainly be every bit as effective. You can buy a pack of five assorted-sized icing spatula's from Wilkinson's for 99 pence (I bought mine several years ago, but I'm sure they're still available from any cheapy shop). One advantage is you cut them to size yourself, i.e. if you have two camera bodies, i.e. full frame and cropped sensor, it's handy having a slightly different size for each (but not essential).
You then just need a pack of pec pads and some Eclipse cleaning fluid.

An idea of the cost saving can be found HERE

IMO 40 for a pack of 12 Sensor Swabs is ridiculous and daylight robbery. That's 12 cleans for 40.

A pack of 100 pec pads and a bottle of eclipse will cost you 25 (a bit cheaper if you shop around) and will give you 100 sensor cleans Smile

EDIT Posted before seeing your above reply.
7 May 2012 12:59PM
Here you go Ian, they are still available; Spatula set
Just square them off and cut to an appropriate size with a Stanley knife.

After wrapping the pec pad around the spatula I find it handy securing it in place with a small bit of sellotape around the spatula 'handle.' Then just two drops (no more) of Eclipse on the edge of the 'tool'

If your sensor is very dirty or you have some stubborn marks you may need to do it more than once, just use a fresh pec pad each time.
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
7 May 2012 1:06PM

Quote:What went wrong with the swabs?

left streaks across the sensor. TBH I didn't find them easy to use, the handles were a little stiff so didn't get the flexibility I was expecting. The job itself seemed relatively easy, but I couldn't get it right (tried about 10 times).
7 May 2012 1:28PM
I got a kit of 10 Pec Pads and a small bottle of fluid for 10, thought that was good value and considering this is the first time in about 8 years I have had to clean the sensor of something which wouldn't go with the brush I didn't see any point buying more.
7 May 2012 1:36PM
You can't go wrong for that price. Lasts ages too and the Eclipse is handy to have for cleaning other things too.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.