Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sensor cleaner recommendation

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

After years of use I've finally got something on the sensor that won't come off with my Arctic Butterfly. So what are people finding is best for cleaning sensors these days?

Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

tried to use swabs, but failed miserably. Ended up going to Calumet (36) Sad

digicammad
    7 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

What went wrong with the swabs?

justin c
    justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

A pec pad wrapped around a homemade swab (icing spatula) with two drops of Eclipse cleaning fluid has never failed to work for me.

digicammad
    7 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Cheers Justin, is the icing spatula better or just cheaper?

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have started using swabs form VisibleDust and their Sensor Clean fluid.

If you have a local camera shop ( I have Park Cameras Wink ) it may be worth splashing out and getting it cleaned "professionally". The 3 day service at PC not too expensive and the 1 hour clean ( c 60 ) is for extreme emergencies only !

digicammad
    7 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I've always cleaned the sensor myself with a Sensor Brush. It doesn't look bad enough to need a professional work over. Just found a small kit of Pec pads and Eclipse for a tenner so have ordered that.

Thanks for the info.

justin c
    7 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Quote: Cheers Justin, is the icing spatula better or just cheaper?

It's much, much cheaper and will certainly be every bit as effective. You can buy a pack of five assorted-sized icing spatula's from Wilkinson's for 99 pence (I bought mine several years ago, but I'm sure they're still available from any cheapy shop). One advantage is you cut them to size yourself, i.e. if you have two camera bodies, i.e. full frame and cropped sensor, it's handy having a slightly different size for each (but not essential).
    You then just need a pack of pec pads and some Eclipse cleaning fluid.

An idea of the cost saving can be found HERE

IMO 40 for a pack of 12 Sensor Swabs is ridiculous and daylight robbery. That's 12 cleans for 40.

A pack of 100 pec pads and a bottle of eclipse will cost you 25 (a bit cheaper if you shop around) and will give you 100 sensor cleans Smile

EDIT Posted before seeing your above reply.

Last Modified By justin c at 7 May 2012 - 12:53 PM
    justin c
    7 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Here you go Ian, they are still available; Spatula set
    Just square them off and cut to an appropriate size with a Stanley knife.

After wrapping the pec pad around the spatula I find it handy securing it in place with a small bit of sellotape around the spatula 'handle.' Then just two drops (no more) of Eclipse on the edge of the 'tool'

If your sensor is very dirty or you have some stubborn marks you may need to do it more than once, just use a fresh pec pad each time.

Last Modified By justin c at 7 May 2012 - 1:00 PM
    cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 1:06 PM

Quote: What went wrong with the swabs?

left streaks across the sensor. TBH I didn't find them easy to use, the handles were a little stiff so didn't get the flexibility I was expecting. The job itself seemed relatively easy, but I couldn't get it right (tried about 10 times).

digicammad
    7 May 2012 - 1:28 PM

I got a kit of 10 Pec Pads and a small bottle of fluid for 10, thought that was good value and considering this is the first time in about 8 years I have had to clean the sensor of something which wouldn't go with the brush I didn't see any point buying more.

justin c
    7 May 2012 - 1:36 PM

You can't go wrong for that price. Lasts ages too and the Eclipse is handy to have for cleaning other things too.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.