Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sensor Cleaning > Arctic Butterfly

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

zanzibarwinds
13 Nov 2011 - 4:23 PM

Hi

My sensor on my 500D is filthy after two years of solid use. I hear the arctic butterfly is well recommended for cleaning the sensor. Can I get anyones opinion on this?

Ta
John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Nov 2011 - 4:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
13 Nov 2011 - 4:28 PM

I have one John - and wouldn't be without it.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Nov 2011 - 4:28 PM
Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
13 Nov 2011 - 4:29 PM

Used one for years. always seem's to do the job,if you buy the kit be carefull how you use the wet swabs.

Graham

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 4:30 PM

use mine before every shoot...

except the fun shoot in the lakes this weekend

which I regret as I've got loads of dust all over the shots...

arse

User_Removed
13 Nov 2011 - 4:38 PM

Quote: arse

(LOL!!)

CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 4:39 PM

Bet you won't make that mistake again Ade! Wink

Arctic Butterfly gets my vote, too!

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 4:55 PM

Get a Sony & you'll have no more dust problems. A bit dearer than the Arctic Butterfly though!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 5:01 PM

Quote: Bet you won't make that mistake again Ade! Wink

Arctic Butterfly gets my vote, too!

YOu can bet I will!

thing is, had the butterfly in my bag all weekend.. just never got round to using it Sad

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81104 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 5:25 PM

pads.jpg

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 5:29 PM

Artic Butterfly - gets my vote too - not sure you need to be quite as diligent as Ade - I would have thought every four weeks or so (once the little dust bunnies have had a chance to multiply!!) would be good.

It will of course wear away your sensor if you overuse it - NOT

Of course there is always Brillo as suggested by Eviscera above. Or wet and dry sandpaper at about grade 140 but clingfilm and swarfega do not work!!!

Last Modified By ketch at 13 Nov 2011 - 5:31 PM
ade_mcfade
13 Nov 2011 - 5:36 PM

depends how many times you change your lens really

I knew someone who bought 2 70D bodies so he'd not have to change lenses and avoid the dust problem all togheter

I change lenses constantly

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 5:41 PM

Quote: Get a Sony & you'll have no more dust problems.

Sad Not in my experience.

Also, in my experience the Arctic Butterfly was the worst purchase I have ever made... totally useless at performing the function it claims to do Sad

I know use VisibleDust swaps with their cleaning fluid.

ade_mcfade
13 Nov 2011 - 5:44 PM

They remove dust amazingly well - but anything "stuck" on there, or any greasey marks, then you need to wet swab the sensor

That's probably where you saw them fail - I did too, had to get the wet wipes out Wink

The are fantastic at what they claim to do Smile

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81104 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 5:51 PM

Depends on the type of dust really.

When I was changing lenses on the beach the other day , it was mostly sand and stuff so a quick blast with an airblower was fine.

But then changing in the rain ,leaves dried out solubles so a quick baby wipe or cotton bud does the trick.
Smile

User_Removed
13 Nov 2011 - 6:01 PM

Get a magnifier / sensor loupe and you can clean your sensor with cotton buds, gentle brushes, blowers or whatever you like because you can actually see the dust and remove it and you'll only clean the sensor when it's dirty and only the part that's dirty.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.