Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sensor Cleaning - Where To Go?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    DalesLass
    DalesLass e2 Member 32104 forum postsDalesLass vcard United Kingdom
    24 Jan 2013 - 2:55 PM

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone might live in my area and know where I could take my camera to get the sensor cleaned, I am in Matlock, Derbyshire.

I have brought a number of kits to try to do it myself but know matter what I use I seem to make matters worse or at least no better than they were to begin with.
    V
    First I brought a LensPen and Loupe kit, then an Artic Butterfly brush but no joy with the cleaning. More recently on recommendation I brought a Dust Aid kit. I even had a go at doing it under the supervision of the guy recommending it and I seemed to do okay. Then today about six months later having noticed quite a few dust spots on my images I decided to bite the bullet and try it on my own - big mistake!

Well in all honesty a lot of the smaller marks did go but some bigger ones stayed, so I gave it another go. At which point a new mark arrived and the stubbon ones that had stayed before stayed again!

I think I need to stop trying to do this myself before I do any damage, assuming I haven't already!!! But I brought the camera on the Internet from a company way down south so I need to find somewhere local to go.

Any suggestions would be great fully received.

Jude

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Jan 2013 - 2:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 3:10 PM

In the directories area is this list of retailer with a postcode search

http://www.ephotozine.com/directories/category/photographic-retailers-39

I'd love to live in Matlock, great childhood memories. but sorry don't so cant recommend anyone local.

If your sensor is getting lots of dust spots could there be a reason you can mitigate?

ikett
    ikett  4352 forum posts England
    24 Jan 2013 - 3:17 PM

Hi, Calumet in Manchester do sensor cleaning had a 5D mki done some time ago, very good.

There is Lehmanns in Stoke Cannon and Nikon and I think Olympus approved repairers.

Don't know of any one nearer to you, hope this helps?

Ian

DalesLass
    24 Jan 2013 - 4:44 PM

Many thanks for the suggestions. I've had a look around and think I will get in contact with Harrison Cameras in Sheffield to see if they offer a sensor cleaning service. They aren't too far from me if they do.

I don't think there is any particular reason for the dust Jack. I did have a problem when I first got the camera. In the end it went back to Sony as the supplier wasn't really being much help. Sony found a problem with the low pass filter and changed it and the sensor. I do change lens from time to time, but not very often and never if the circumstances aren't good.

I had the A100 before getting the A580 and I didnt seem to as much dust as I do now though. Sad

Jude

RoyChilds
    RoyChilds e2 Member 656 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
    24 Jan 2013 - 8:52 PM

Hi Jude Harrisons in Sheffield do clean sensors but charge around 50 or 60 quid a cheaper option is the University of Sheffield photo society costs 10. Grin but only when they meet which is once a month Sad info on University web pages, it is while you wait though.

cheers

Roy

DalesLass
    24 Jan 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for that Roy it sound very promising. I have been on to Harrions and discovered they charge 50 for a three day service, which did sound a bit steep!

I'll have a look at the photo society.

Jude

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96343 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 10:26 PM

Quote: they charge 50 for a three day service

My local camera shop charges 30 for cropped sensor and 40 for full frame sensor.

50 gets you same day for a cropped sensor. ( in fact if you pop in and they are not busy you can get it done within the hour )

collywobles
    25 Jan 2013 - 11:20 AM

Do it yourself. I clean mine when required and it scares you sh1&l*ss first time but after that it becomes easy - just make sure you camera batteries are fully charged. Buy a good quality cleaning kit which will last several cleans.

Eeeeeeezzzzyyy Peeeeeeezzzzyyyy

DalesLass
    25 Jan 2013 - 5:01 PM

Thanks Collywobbles, I have tried doing it myself but never yet managed to get it really clean ~ and I do have to admit to finding it very scary!

collywobles
    25 Jan 2013 - 5:14 PM

As I said the first time is scary and sometimes I have had to do it several times to ensure all blemishes are gone.

How do I check if its clean?
    I take a photo of a pure white unblemished card, load the image into photoshop and check Levels so it is pure white. Enlarge the image and then you can scroll around the area to check if all blemishes have been removed. If not repeat the process until all blemishes are gone.

You tend not to notice marks on the sensor (image) until you shoot a white subject (white wedding dress is the classical example) or perhaps a clear sky

PS: Up your way later this year and will be eating in the Ashford Arms at Ashford on the Water, great food, great pub.

Last Modified By collywobles at 25 Jan 2013 - 5:23 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.