Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sensor cleaning.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Warriorpoet
25 Jan 2010 - 2:56 PM

Apologies for a long multiple choice question.

I have two large spots (visible on live view after a shot at f22). Not visible at f2. Reading the forums I believe these to be dust.

My question is can anyone recommend a good (ideally quick) sensor cleaning service for a canon 40d in the Leeds/Bradford area or:
Should I first have a bash myself.
If having a go myself how much damage am I likely to do if I make an utter pigs ear of it. I will be attempting cleaning based on the video tutorials I have seen online.
Also if having a bash myself I would welcome recommendations as to product. I have seen in the past all sorts of swabs mentioned which range from the very expensive to a cotton bud and lighter fuel. (The latter greatly appeals if it is safe and likely to work as 1 I have both components in the bathroom cupboard and 2 I am a tight git.

Greatly welcome peoples advice on any or all of the above.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2010 - 2:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ripleysalien
25 Jan 2010 - 3:08 PM

Go buy the right swabs and fluid, should cost you about 30 ( 12 swabs and enough fluid for about 4-5 packs ), sensor clean will cost you 15+ a time, do the math.
Its not as hard as you think BUT it can go wrong if you mess about,
Put the fluid on the swab start at one side of the sensor and with one sweep drag it across and then out.
Try blowing it out first with a rocket blower, that might save you a job.

Swabs and fluid by Visible dust are what I use.

Last Modified By ripleysalien at 25 Jan 2010 - 3:10 PM
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2010 - 3:09 PM

Try wire wool and vim...that should work.

Strobekid
Strobekid  7369 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2010 - 3:16 PM

Have a read on Visible dust's website, which explains the different type of dust/stain, and how to tackle each type.

General rule is try to NOT touch the sensor filter unless you have to. So try the dry option, like blower first, then onto sensor brush like Arctic Butterfly, and if that still doesn't work, then wet option.

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2010 - 3:28 PM

Quote: Try wire wool and vim...that should work.

ouch!!!!

p.s. please don`t take any referrence to wire wool / wire brushes / fairy liquid etc seriously.......

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2010 - 3:29 PM

Oh and the legendary don't forget to finish eating your egg sandwich before trying to blow the dust bunnies out......

Warriorpoet
25 Jan 2010 - 3:42 PM

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions and the one unhelpful one. I'll go with the swabs (read a lot of bad reviews of the butterfly) and if that doesn't work I'll have to pay for a clean.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2010 - 3:46 PM

Actually I do have a Butterfly and only use it when I absolutely have to. Absolutely no problems and it's due to come out soon as there is one rather large obstinate dust bunnie that the in-camera shaking wotsit won't shift......

(apologies for the lack of technical terminology - I'm at work and therefore lacking in brain-power).

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2010 - 6:13 PM

Quote: Oh and the legendary don't forget to finish eating your egg sandwich before trying to blow the dust bunnies out......

What fool would do that???

cattyal
25 Jan 2010 - 6:32 PM

I really don't know - I'm pretty sure there are no EPZ members that would - I must have read about it somewhere else Smile

CathyT
25 Jan 2010 - 6:35 PM

I think I read it in VIZ.....

Last Modified By CathyT at 25 Jan 2010 - 6:35 PM
bigalguitarpicker

Quote: Try wire wool and vim...that should work.

Don't even think about this!! Everyone knows Jeyes Fluid is the proper cleaning agent.

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2010 - 12:07 AM

Brillo pad everytime! works wonders LOL!

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2010 - 12:19 AM

Use the butterfly with no problems, for what it is, its not cheap but then again unlike swabs you can use it a lot more... Seen a few people get problems with it catching grease on the inside of the camera though so need to be careful.

I got to say though at F22 you will see bunnies on most sensors, if there nothing showing at the appature you use normally then I wouldnt bother untill it becomes an issue.

The problem with dust is the min you change a lens it can happen... People can get obsessed with it, even with the so called dust removal on most new cameras it still happens :-(

Good luck with it

Warriorpoet
26 Jan 2010 - 12:27 AM

I have two large visible spots at f11 visible in the sky in any shot. At f22 they can be seen on the camera lcd screen. Ive had one a while and been cloning up to now.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.