Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sensor cleaning

28 Nov 2013 2:29PM
I noticed marking on my photograps, not disimilar to the branches of trees, appearing in the top right hand corner of each picture. As it appears with either of two lenses I concluded that it must be on the sensor. On examination some marking on the sensor can be seen, so I purchased a cleaning kit (Digipad) and attempted to clean the sensor. The marking is however still there. Has anyone else experienced this? I am at a loss to understand how the sensor is or maybe damaged in any way. Any advice would be most welcome. The camera is a Canon 350D.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2013 2:51PM
I'd double check the mirror box and the area around the sensor. It sounds like you may have a hair towards the side. Remember that the mirror means that the image is upside down when it reaches your sensor, so you're looking at the bottom right. But it definitely sounds like a hair, and if it's doesn't have really crisp edges at a high aperture, it's not directly on the sensor's cover glass.
PS. Don't expect to get everything off your sensor (people have gone mad trying).
ChiliMan e2
8 135 17 Singapore
28 Nov 2013 3:14PM
I'm wondering whether the markings you see on the sensor may be fungus. If cleaning the sensor doesn't remove the marks then it might be between your sensor cover and sensor. Just a guess.

Might be a good idea taking it somewhere to have it checked out.

Andrew
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2013 10:25AM
Are you able to take a photo of it and post it on the forum for us to look at?
29 Nov 2013 11:19AM
2-img-5108.jpg

I hope this has uploaded correctly, I was expecting to see the photo! Picture taken of clouds but "marks" can clearly be seen at top right hand side.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2013 11:43AM
That looks really weird. If it was a crack I would expect it to radiate from one point but that seems to be all over the place. It seems to be in two layers so maybe it is something on/within the layer that they cover the actual sensor with.
You definitely have a couple of spots that need cleaning, though.

I would send it for a service.
29 Nov 2013 12:04PM
Thanks mikehit, it is strange, looks like I will indeed have to send the camera away for profesional "cleaning"
29 Nov 2013 2:34PM
Maybe condensation? Looks like water ingress.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
29 Nov 2013 3:13PM
take a photo of something pure white and post that on here - just make sure it doesn't totally burn out Wink
ChiliMan e2
8 135 17 Singapore
29 Nov 2013 3:58PM
Biz-ZAH. The 'branches' are so clearly defined! The thin legs do remind me of fungal threads...but I wouldn't have expected them to be so defined. The broader branches are more puzzling. Thin ones beneath sensor cover and broad ones outside, maybe?

All guesses from me, I'm afraid.

Best to get it properly looked at.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2013 5:43PM
I saw something similar to this on a friend's old 5D.

He had used to much liquid on his pad when cleaning the sensor and it got between the surface filter and the sensor

Unfortunately for him he had to have a new sensor fitted, so I hope this isn't the case here
29 Nov 2013 6:46PM
Thanks Chiliman and brian1208. The problem was there before I attempted to clean it with the proper solution and pads, so I have decided to arrange for a professional clean.
Thank you to everyone who kindly offered opinions as to the cause.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2013 7:01PM
that sounds good, lets hope its just needing a professional clean then Smile
ChiliMan e2
8 135 17 Singapore
30 Nov 2013 1:44PM
All the best with the sensor, Moss Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.