Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sensor Cleaning

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mike_Smith
Mike_Smith e2 Member 7122 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2014 - 4:54 PM

Having never cleaned a sensor before, can anyone recommend what to use and best place to buy from please. In the past i have had it cleaned in local camera shop, but now they have gone in my area, i think nearest one now is a 50 mile trip each way. So i would appreciate your advice Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jul 2014 - 4:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6555 forum posts213hardy vcard England
27 Jul 2014 - 6:27 PM

Looking at doing mine too, i've have it on good authority that these guys are pretty helpful.

Den

FredDee
FredDee  156 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Jul 2014 - 6:31 PM

Try this ??

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/lenspen-sensorklear-loupe-kit-review-25873

It's a great kit at a sensible price, and does what it says on the tin ! Grin

Last Modified By FredDee at 27 Jul 2014 - 6:35 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101474 forum postsdark_lord vcard England128 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2014 - 6:45 PM

I've used the Visible Dust fluid and their Arctic Butterfly brush. Must be a couple of years since I last used them however, as I haven't noticed any spots since, and shooting on plain backgrounds with small apertures would easily show any up.
Never used them yet on my 5D3.

franken
franken e2 Member 123126 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2014 - 6:52 PM

When I shot most of my pictures using a DSLR I only ever needed a blower brush and an Arctic butterfly.

I've been using micro four thirds for nearly two years now and have never needed to clean any of the sensors?

I've stopped well down and yet the sensor appears to remain clean?

I was once told and can't confirm that the reason DSLR's have more dust is down to the action of the movement of the mirror as it blows dust about?

Last Modified By franken at 27 Jul 2014 - 6:53 PM
here4years
here4years e2 Member 174 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2014 - 7:06 PM

I've always used a vacuum cleaner. Using a cylinder vac, (or an upright with a hose attachment) I use a length (about 1m) of clear plastic tubing ( about 4mm bore, available in stores like B&Q) and fed the plastic tube up the hose of the vacuum cleaner. If you keep the end of the plastic tube about a couple of mms above the surface of the sensor (with the vac cleaner switched on of course!) it sucks up all dust and dirt. Be careful not to touch the surface of the sensor though. Very easy to do and I've never had any problems using this method over many years. . I've never seen the point of blower brushes as they just blow the dirt around.

Trev_B
Trev_B e2 Member 7110 forum postsTrev_B vcard England64 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2014 - 7:36 PM

I have recently cleaned my sensor and it's a job I hate doing…

I try and clear the dust with a Rocket blower and this seems to work in most cases. Between attempts I tend to reduce the aperture to f16 and take a picture of a clear sky or a piece of white paper, any remaining dust will be noticeable when viewing the image on the camera screen.

If this does not work the vacuum cleaner supplied with my Delkin cleaner set can work in some cases.

Finally as a last resort then the wet cleaner and sensor safe wands have to be used… this generally results in pushing dust from one part of the sensor to another… lots of cursing and wishing that you had not started. However if you persevere then all will be worth it.

I find that the LED illuminated sensor scope supplied by Delkin is next to useless… I uses a table mounted illuminated magnifying glass, just make sure the it's had a good wipe down before you start as you don't want to drop more dust into the open camera.

A final word of warning don't use a can of compressed air, Kenro or the like, as this will damage the sensor unless you use the dust vac kit… and even then be careful not to touch the sensor as the end is made from hard plastic.

Trev

johnnypanic
27 Jul 2014 - 10:36 PM

Check out, sensor cleaning gel stick, may be useful -

http://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

ikky
ikky  United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 - 11:01 AM

The good ladies vacuum cleaner with a suitable home made piece of tube does it for me never had a problem.
As others have said why use a blower all you do is move the dust around

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101474 forum postsdark_lord vcard England128 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2014 - 4:17 PM

Just to clarify, for anyone else reading this, the Arctic Butterfly brush is not a blower brush, it attracts the dust off the sensor by static.

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2014 - 5:28 PM

Quote: Just to clarify, for anyone else reading this, the Arctic Butterfly brush is not a blower brush, it attracts the dust off the sensor by static.

Works for me.

Mike_Smith
Mike_Smith e2 Member 7122 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2014 - 7:15 PM

Thank you for all your replies, which have given me plenty to think about. They really is a lot of different products out there to do this task

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 850 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
6 Aug 2014 - 11:48 PM

I do it a bit like this but I use one kind of soap for the camera and sensor and a different one for lenses.

MichaelMelb_AU

The video is not complete. After washing the camera and lens must be dried by a fireplace or with a hair dryerTongue

If seriously - I use Lenspen complete with sensor loupe. At least I am sure that there will be ho sticky residue on the sensor, and the set works fine on my older DSLR (with no ultrasonic sensor self-cleaning). One thing to remember though - not to overdo with cleanup. Sensor needs feather touch, not mopping. A tiny particle or two left on the sensor can be removed during image processing easily, but a scratch or any sort of mechanical damage/misalignment - can not. Use common sense on when to stop.

With modern cameras with ultrasonic sensor wave technology the manual cleaning is not sensible thing to do, if you have anything that stubborn that the sensor cannot shake off - have a look at your lens change technique. For two years I used my Canon EOS550D the sensor did not accumulate any dirt that would need to be removed.

Cheers!

Mike_Smith
14 Aug 2014 - 2:24 PM

I have just ordered this http://www.ephotozine.com/article/lenspen-sensorklear-loupe-kit-review-25873 from amazon, i will get back to this thread to let you know how i get on Thanks

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.