Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sensor Cleaning Experiment

psiman 11 551 Wales
14 Jun 2005 1:33PM
Once again whilst checking some shots from my Canon EOS 300D I noticed obvious sensor dust on the images so I decided it was time to clean the sensor.

My standard procedure is to take a reference shot before cleaning, I do this by manually focusing on infinity, selecting the smallest aperture in aperture priority mode then taking a shot of a blank white screen on my monitor. When I view the image in Photoshop I use Autolevels to highlight any dust contamination.

As I expected I saw lots of contamination, out of curiosity I then decided to use the Canon approved method of cleaning the sensor, using a Hurricane blower. Result ... considerably more contamination visible on the sensor! To be honest I was not too surprised at this as I've had a sneaking feeling that using the Hurricane blower just blows more dust from inside the camera onto the sensor. I then used a Digi-Pad and Eclipse cleaning fluid to clean the sensor, using the method recommended by Digi-Pad of using one Digi-Pad, sweeping across the sensor in one direction then, turning it over to sweep back in the other direction. This removed most of the dust but left a few visible specks so I repeated the process which got rid of most of the remaining specks but left a fibre like speck on the sensor. I then tried the Hurricane blower which removed the fibre but added a lot more visible contamination again!

As I was now deeply into "nerd mode" I thought I'd see if I could check stories I'd also read about that dust gets onto the sensor via the Card and battery compartments. I removed and replaced both the card and battery 10 times with no visible increase in contamination (not a rigorous or exhaustive test I know). Finally I used what is now my standard cleaning procedure using 2 Digi-Pads. One is used to sweep in one direction with a second new pad then used to sweep back in the opposite direction. This left the sensor at its cleanest. I have kept examples of the test shots from each stage but I didn't know if I could insert them into this post.

So my conclusions:

- Avoid using a blower, it potentially can add more dust than it removes!
- Dust appears to be more likely to get in through the lens mount or as a result of air movement when the mirror and shutter actuate than through the card or battery compartments.
- Use 2 Digi-pads to clean the sensor. If you use just one and then turn it over I think the static charge built up the pad and/or the air movement can attract dust back onto the sensor.

I'd be very interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
14 Jun 2005 1:57PM
If you clean the chamber as well, I'd expect the blower to be more effective! I always clean both (SensorBrush) - and only needed to a total of 3 times in a year (and I'm forever in some dusty spot, forever changing lenses!)

Think it would take time for dirt to work its slow way through from card/battery access

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.