Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sensor cleaning for the first time

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72216 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 1:10 PM

I have a Canon 30D which needs the sensor cleaning.
    The instruction manual describes the process, using a rubber blower, and then goes on to say that canned air or gas should not be used, or a brush either.

Can someone tell me what is OK to use to clean my 30D sensor please? I have been reading about 'Arctic Butterflies' and about sensor cleaning fluid applied to swabs. Are these methods going to damage my sensor?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Jun 2008 - 1:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 1:18 PM

Arctic butterflies are brilliant. You'd be surprised what they'll lift, and they're not nearly as risky as a wet clean, although this is the only way to get some gunk out.
    But I'd definitely go with a butterfly for kickers. They can save a lot of hassle, and you can take them abroad without any hassle.

Wooly
    Wooly  8112 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 1:59 PM

Agree with David, a wet clean needs to be the last option and I would let the pros do that. I have a brush system which is similar to the arctic and I've used it to do both my cameras including my old D70 and Alisons D200 and it's a breeze.

My brush came with a little blower that you use to charge the nylon brush, one wipe across the sensor and it lifts the dust. You can also use the blower to remove other dust on your camera.

Alan

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    26 Jun 2008 - 2:25 PM

Quote: Agree with David, a wet clean needs to be the last option and I would let the pros do that.

If you don't fancy doing a wet clean your sensor, and are happy for a pro to do it,that's fine, but I would suggest that there are hundreds of us here, non pros, that are perfectly happy doing our own wet clean without any problems. When I had my first DSLR, I sent it to the experts under warranty to have it cleaned as it was free, it came back a few weeks later not much better. Sent it away again, and it came back acceptable, but certainly not perfect, so since then, I have done both my 10D and 5D myself.

Wooly
    Wooly  8112 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 2:32 PM

Thanks, I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. It's hard to imagine having to do any thing other than dry clean.

Alan

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72216 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 5:53 PM

Thankyou for your responses, I went to my LCS(local camera shop) and bought a rubber blower, some swabs and some fluid, and decided to bite the bullet and do a wet clean, which from my afternoon shoot results, was successful : )
    I also bought some lens cleaning equiptment, and cleaned my lenses too, as there were marks that could have caused the blemishes in the first place.
    I'm tempted to get the arctic butterfly at some point in the near future as I've only heard good reports about them, but as I'm off to Cornwall in the morning(work/leisure), what I have done has been sufficient.

Grimm
    Grimm  7587 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 6:45 PM

Just finished cleaning my sensor with the delkin product I just bought. It actually got worst. More dust now, and worst its stuck to the sensor now after a wet clean. I used the vacum thingy that came with the set, and the swabs and solution. Also used my old rubber blower. The more I clean it the worst it gets. I stopped now before I do any damage. Can anyone recommend a good pro cleaner? Should I go and buy an arctic butterfly?

I will go and kick myself on the head while I wait for a reply.

justin c
    justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 7:06 PM

Just get some pec pads, eclipse cleaning solution and make an appropriate sized cleaning tool out of an icing spatula. It may take several cleans to get your sensor clean, obviously use a fresh pec pad each time.
    I havn't used an Artic Butterfly but for the stuborn, stuck-on specks, a wet clean is the way to go.

Last Modified By justin c at 26 Jun 2008 - 7:07 PM
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73848 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jun 2008 - 7:18 PM

Using the cleaner solution is fine, just follow the instructions and literally 1 drop of solution should be OK. The solvents used (isopropanol) won't attack the sensor, there is a protective glass panel over the electronics. The only time you will get a problem is if you let it swim in solvent, when it could attack some of the internal seals.

Despite all the misgivings I've yet to hear from anyone that has had a problem

Grimm
    26 Jun 2008 - 7:19 PM

Thanks Justin. That is one way of doing it. I'll try and wait for any other alternative options before i jump into it. Something I should have done before i cleaned it in the first place. I really hate it when things like this happen.

Grimm
    26 Jun 2008 - 7:24 PM

I think the solution is doing its part just fine. The problem is the dust and dirt is still left on the corners and sides of the sensor. It does not stick to the swabs or get sucked by the vacum thing. I cant even blow it away with the giottos blower.

eric6
    eric6  6 Greece
    28 Jun 2008 - 10:43 AM

Have a look at http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html. It will give you some confidance. I managed to do my 5D

Jay44
    Jay44  81443 forum posts Wales
    14 Jul 2008 - 10:23 AM

I've recently purchased an arctic butterfly and my sensor isnow spotless!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.