Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sensor cleaning on the cheap

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    27 Nov 2005 - 1:30 AM

The following link might be of interest:

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.h...

It describes how to clean a sensor using a cheap nylon brush and a blower. I tried this with a 3/8" artists brush (~4), washed in isopropyl alcohol and then soapy water. I used a Giotto rocket air blower to charge the brush (canned air is wasteful) and then gave the sensor a light brush It worked a treat.

Why waste money on overpriced products?

Also, if you need to use fluid based cleaning (due to stuck on dirt) then check out Copperhill's cleaning products which are cheaper than many.

Leif

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Nov 2005 - 1:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

agoreira
    agoreira  116001 forum posts Wales
    27 Nov 2005 - 3:14 AM

Was just reading the Spedgraphic catalogue, and there their "Visible Dust" brush on it's own costs 67!!! But if anyone wants one, it's quicker than sending to Canada for it.

Mitzi
    Mitzi  91011 forum posts
    27 Nov 2005 - 3:32 AM

Leif - an excellent site and a good article! I must admit that dust in the camera is one of my fears with interchangeable lenses. One must not be obsessional but a good safe job is what is needed and I don't think very expensive equipment is required.

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    27 Nov 2005 - 8:23 AM

One word of caution though: don't use the blower directly on the sensor just in case there's grit in the air stream.

abwhitt: Yes I too looked at the Speed Graphic catalogue and fell off my chair with astonishment at the prices.

Leif

ARI
    ARI  11504 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Nov 2005 - 9:47 AM

For info, I have used the Gioto bulb to blow off dust on a 20D sensor, holding the camera body, throat facing down at campsites in Africa and worked well. Of course mking sure that within the tent, the air was still as can be with the flaps zipped up.

Mitzi
    Mitzi  91011 forum posts
    27 Nov 2005 - 1:21 PM

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

The above would seem to be a good site! They seem to know what they are talking about. I suspect there is a lot of 'conmanship' with sensor cleaning.

Mitzi
    Mitzi  91011 forum posts
    28 Nov 2005 - 12:12 PM

I do find the idea of sensor dust quite worrying. Is it just obsessionals who are bothered or is there a real problem? The costs of constantly removing dust seem punitive!

Westers
    Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Nov 2005 - 12:26 PM

It's only dust sitting on a piece of material protecting the actual sensor. What's to worry about?

Cleaning the sensor is no more of a chore than cleaning your lenses - i.e, you don't do it that often.

elowes
    elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Nov 2005 - 12:29 PM

Minor dust is often only visible in plain areas of the image when stopping down to F11-22. Marks can easily removed in PS and cleaning may not be worth while.

Larger debris can be removed with care using several different kits and I leave you to chose. I keep pointing out that one is recommended in a review on this site and has proven effective when I have used it.

I would not recommend using any fluid to clean a sensor unless the product is warrented to do the job. Isopol Alcohol can (will) leave drying marks if used direcly on sensors and on lenses, even in small qualtities.

Cheap blower brushes will more than likely inject dust into the camera cavity.

Mitzi
    Mitzi  91011 forum posts
    28 Nov 2005 - 12:41 PM

Elowes - I'm sure you're right. I quite like the idea of an electrostatic brush but they seem to be very pricey. Rubbing the sensor with any kind of liquid would not seem to be a good idea. A simple rubber bulb style blower - no brush - might be useful?

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    29 Nov 2005 - 4:09 AM

Mitzi: "I quite like the idea of an electrostatic brush but they seem to be very pricey."

Then make your own using an artists brush (which is in fact what Visible Dust et al sell) or if you lack confidence, try Copperhill. He sells them for not unreasonable prices and I think he includes a convenient case. It's not unreasonable to sell ready cleaned brushes for a small markup, but some companies such as Visible Dust are taking the Mickey. They use pseudo-scientific bull to persuade us that their brush is made from special materials rather than ordinary nylon. Snake oil anyone?

Although cleaning an artists brush is tedious, once its done the cleaning of the sensor really is easy. The link I gave explains how to clean the brush and how to make absolutely sure that it is clean. However, you need an an old filter, which you then clean, which isn't so hard to do with lens cleaning tissues and lens cleaning fluid (or isopropyl alcohol from Maplins). I suspect a microscope slide would do just as well.

Leif

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    29 Nov 2005 - 4:12 AM

"Isopol Alcohol can (will) leave drying marks if used direcly on sensors and on lenses, even in small qualtities."

I don't advise anyone to try isopropyl alcohol on a sensor (though I would have no problems doing it myself) but it is fine for cleaning lenses. The trick is to use high purity stuff and moisten the lens tissue or cotton wool, not the lens. It's easy to practice on an old filter.

I dount that fluid is needed to clean a sensor unless you've done something daft like sneeze on it!

Leif

conrad
    conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2005 - 4:12 AM

The electrostatic brushes are not that expensive at all, it just depends on where you buy them. See example on eBay.

Conrad

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    29 Nov 2005 - 10:45 AM

Conrad: Excellent. The ebay link also explains why artists brushes need cleaning. I think I would have tried the ebay brushes had I not already purchased and prepared a brush. I think I would still do the filter test to check that the brushes are indeed clean as claimed. It only takes one person to get finger grease on the bristles. Leif

Mitzi
    Mitzi  91011 forum posts
    29 Nov 2005 - 1:15 PM

Excellent posts! eBay looks good and the price is right.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.