Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sensors

kodachrome 3 474
10 Jan 2013 8:55AM
Nikon admit they use more than one make of sensor and hinted that Toshiba may be one of their 24mp suppliers along with Sony. Apparently, the D3200 and D5200 have different sensors.
Intriguing stuff. Never knew Toshiba made sensors.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 9:49AM
Toshiba make the 41mp sensor in the Nokia PureView 808, so they are technologically as capable as others regarding pixel size and manufacturing capability.

edit - they even make a new 20mp 1/2.3 BSI sensor:
http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng/product/sensor/index.html
10 Jan 2013 10:01AM
Where does Nikon Ďadmití this? Not that itís any great admission, to my mind Ė itís a bit like Volkswagen admitting to using Michelin tyres Ė but Nikon has a history of being secretive about the source of its sensors.

Toshiba has been designing and fabricating image sensors since at least the nineties. Itís a big fish in this area.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 10:50AM
Hi Samuel,

Chipworks like taking things apart Smile
http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recentteardowns/2013/01/08/inside-the-nikon-d5200-dslr-toshiba-found/

Josh
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 10:52AM
Nikon has admitted nothing - someone took the drastic step of dissecting a 5200.
Although they have been making sensors for years, I believe this is Toshiba's first foray into APS-C camera sensors.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Jan 2013 11:26AM

Quote:Where does Nikon Ďadmití this? Not that itís any great admission, to my mind Ė itís a bit like Volkswagen admitting to using Michelin tyres

My view precisely.

In sourcing all of its components, one assumes that Nikon (and Canon and Volkswagen) looks for suppliers who can meet their specifications at the lowest cost.
kodachrome 3 474
10 Jan 2013 12:41PM
Steady on guys, don't beat me up. I thought it would be a good talking point, probably could have been worded better. I read the information on another web site.
10 Jan 2013 2:13PM

Quote:Steady on guys, ...... I read the information on another web site.

Never, never, ever believe anything you read on a website.

I think I have told the story before of how I published an entirely fallacious economic theory on Wikipaedia for the purpose of "putting down" one of those intellectual pseuds who makes a habit of writing to the national broadsheets. (It wasn't entirely a fallacious theory - in fact it was really quite good, but would have taken several years of research to get it proved and peer-reviewed to PhD standards and properly published in a credible academic publication.)

But the point is it was published in Wikipaedia for the world to see. I took it down once it had served its purpose - but not before it had been cited by at least one supposed expert in the field as "fact".

Wink
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 2:29PM

Quote:Never, never, ever believe anything you read on a website.

Are you saying it is not a Toshiba sensor?
Or is that what the smilie is for?
thewilliam 6 4.7k
10 Jan 2013 3:48PM

Quote:Steady on guys, ...... I read the information on another web site.

Never, never, ever believe anything you read on a website.

I think I have told the story before of how I published an entirely fallacious economic theory on Wikipaedia for the purpose of "putting down" one of those intellectual pseuds who makes a habit of writing to the national broadsheets. (It wasn't entirely a fallacious theory - in fact it was really quite good, but would have taken several years of research to get it proved and peer-reviewed to PhD standards and properly published in a credible academic publication.)

But the point is it was published in Wikipaedia for the world to see. I took it down once it had served its purpose - but not before it had been cited by at least one supposed expert in the field as "fact".

Wink

I thought that this was how much of our scientific "knowledge" originated. WinkWinkWinkWink
10 Jan 2013 5:41PM

Quote:Never, never, ever believe anything you read on a website.
Are you saying it is not a Toshiba sensor?
Or is that what the smilie is for?

How would I know if it is a Toshiba sensor or not?

Obviously if I read it on the web I would not believe it.

Wink
11 Jan 2013 9:09AM
Sensors, like tyres, are made by several manufacturers. Within a manufacturers it range there maybe many different but similar products such as off-road 4x4 tyres and Formula One racing tyres.
Whether Nikon or Canon make 30% of the parts that go into any one of their cameras is an academic point - what matters to me is how good the overall product performs.
There are reports Kodak made sensors for many medium format cameras. There might be as many as 20 mobile phones with a sensor as there are DSLR's.
I think it is a fairly safe bet that camera phone manufacturers do not make all the sensors that a go in their cameras.
There is widespread Internet rumour that Canon are currently behind on noise performance because other manufacturers currently have better sensor technology in production, and that Canon will catch up go ahead when their new sensor factory comes into operation.
How much of this is true is perhaps academic for me. I use Nikon and have approximately 20 lenses. I rarely shoot at faster than 6400 ISO, shoot a lot of wildlife and like to make prints. The camera or sensor that is right for me might not be right for another photographer. As long as my brand of equipment is "there or thereabouts" at a reasonable price for my needs I am unlikely to change systems. Others may have a different point of view
Finding wildlife to photograph, learning good post processing techniques and having a good printer are perhaps more important me than which factory Nikon buys its sensors from.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.