Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sentenced:

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 9:18 PM

Nowt up with the PolishSmile

As for us, it costs nowt to better yourself - if you want to

As for those who believed that the grass was greener - tough

If the cap fits - wear it

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Dec 2012 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71873 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Dec 2012 - 9:51 PM

Working day and night is a stock expression which wouldn't normally be taken literally. It's like 'raining cats and dogs' or 'hot as hell', it's used to make a point.

The guy Iím talking about worked 7 days a week on shift work in different hotels. It's low paid but he made money by working very long hours.

So in this context, working day and night just means working very long hours.

I used to do it in my early days in Fleet Street. I'd sometimes work a day for The Telegraph and then a night shift at the Sun. Saturdays was Sunday Express from 10 to 6 then The People from 7pm to 1am.

So I wasn't working all day and all night but I describe it that way becaue it is more graphic than stating the actual hours.

RobbieWales
21 Dec 2012 - 10:41 PM

I dislocated my ankle and i a signed on the sick for the first time in 20yrs after 4 weeks on the sick i got a letter saying iam being signed off and they will find me a new job when getting in touch to say i already got a job and my consultant said i am not fit enough to do the job, the replay i got was we will find you a job that you are fit enough to do, typical you work all your life pay your taxes and contributions and then you get **** on

bigalguitarpicker
21 Dec 2012 - 10:48 PM

Quote: A Pole I met in Ireland recently had bought two houses in Poland by working day and night in a Dublin hotel

Nobody works these sort of hours,even in hotels.

Anybody who has experience of work in the catering industry knows that 80-100 hour weeks exist. Been there, done that. Got the burns and cuts.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 11:02 PM

My son used to work 9am to 11pm or 12pm some days in a hotel so yes it happens in the hotel trade.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 11:23 PM

Quote: My son used to work 9am to 11pm or 12pm some days in a hotel so yes it happens in the hotel trade

What happens in the Hotel trade John, I don`t think anyone works 24hr days any more, splits maybe.

lemmy
lemmy  71873 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Dec 2012 - 10:46 AM

Quote: What happens in the Hotel trade John, I don`t think anyone works 24hr days any more, splits maybe.

I explained the figurative meaning of the phrase I used above, Paul. But someone who does a double shift often actually does work day and night. My shift on the Sundays was 10am to 6pm (day) then 7pm to 1am (night).

Where did you get 24 hours a day from? Could you point me to where I said the guy told me he worked 24 hours a day? Or where anyone else suggested such? You seem to be refuting a point that no-one has made.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2012 - 6:37 PM

Quote: I explained the figurative meaning of the phrase I used above, Paul. But someone who does a double shift often actually does work day and night

Day and night Lemmy, you said day and night, then John came along to back you up, you made the point of explaining you meant this in figurative terms, if that is t6he case then I`ve spent most of my working life working these sort of hours and I bet many others have done so here as well.

I`ve worked in the Hotel industry and it can be a real eye opener, the word exploitation is an understatement, I really feel sorry for the ethnic workers.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2012 - 8:45 PM

The one thing that has appeared on this thread , is the reference to K40 per annum

Most folk I know, earn nowhere near this amount

Paul Morgan
22 Dec 2012 - 8:58 PM

True Smile

dos
dos  1 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2012 - 10:14 PM

My family and I are from Eastern Europe, and so it seems like this website is not for me. I always thought that crime had no nationality, however after reading this thread I realised that one's origins or nationality automatically assign a person to a particular social group. I am sorry that I'm one of them. Therefore I think this might not be a place for my photography either...Sad

Last Modified By dos at 22 Dec 2012 - 10:15 PM
strawman
22 Dec 2012 - 10:26 PM

Quote: The one thing that has appeared on this thread , is the reference to K40 per annum

Most folk I know, earn nowhere near this amount

Yes and the point is most people will receive more in benefit than they put in. A high percentage of the running cost of the country comes from a small percentage of the country.

Have a look here The amount will depend on dependants etc. So a single person needs to be making over @ £25,000 to add more than they receive. I did it as a family with two kids in education and you get to about £50,000 before you pay more than you get. It varies with household size etc so I tried to scale it over life and thought it was around £40,000 equivalent for your working life. My averaging could be wrong but it is an interesting read.

As for immigrants, most of the ones I deal with are well educated (with degrees) and hard working. We have a shortage of good degree qualified engineers in this country and so to fill vacancies either we need more people to study in this country for those degrees, or we face the work going off-shore or we have immigration. I imagine the same is true of medical positions.

The problem I think we face is a reduction in the number of low skill roles so it is still a good time for kids to go to Uni, providing they pick the right subject. And my feeling is immigrants exist at many levels, and not all of them are bad news. All I meant on hours, was the point Lemmy made, is that it is possible to work very long hours in the Hotel trade. I would consider working 9am to 11pm night and day

As for what country you come from, I think you stand or fall as you behave not for country of origin. It is sad when people say this site is not for them or they are made to feel not welcome. If you work here, live by the law and pay your taxes etc etc you have as much right to be here as the rest of us.

Last Modified By strawman at 22 Dec 2012 - 10:30 PM
Paul Morgan
22 Dec 2012 - 11:39 PM

Quote: The problem I think we face is a reduction in the number of low skill roles so it is still a good time for kids to go to Uni

I use to think the same having a son at uni, but the future is not looking quite so good, there`s plenty of post graduates with good degrees out there without work.

strawman
23 Dec 2012 - 12:02 AM

I hired 3 grads last year and the trade stuff is full of it looking up for engineering. I think that the way the employment market is going it will just get harder without a specific skill set. Qualified people with a trade should do OK long term (i.e plumbers etc) and I think with marketable skills a graduate is still well placed.

The hardest people at the moment to find are the ones with @ 10 years practical experience following graduation. Strangely you can pick up people in their 40's to 50's with abilities to die for (as an employer) who are looking to work for another 5 to 10 years at least (lets be honest how many companies can guarantee work that long). we picked up grads and very experienced engineers and its working well, a blend of experience and youth works well. Does it matter if someone is thinking of retiring in a few years when you hire and they are so experienced they are contributing in weeks??? As long as they all do not retire in the same month. Smile

A bit of a digression, anyway on the original crime, regardless of where he came from the punishment looks very very light.

Last Modified By strawman at 23 Dec 2012 - 12:04 AM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 12:10 AM

Quote: My family and I are from Eastern Europe, and so it seems like this website is not for me. I always thought that crime had no nationality, however after reading this thread I realised that one's origins or nationality automatically assign a person to a particular social group. I am sorry that I'm one of them. Therefore I think this might not be a place for my photography either...Sad

Emilis, don't worry about those shallow racists. They are low of the low, and you get them everywhere anywhere. You can't change them but take pity on them.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.