Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sepia Images O.K.?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2754 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
12 Mar 2013 - 11:30 AM

Discussion has been taking place in this week's Forum topic (ending13th March) as to whether group members wish to continue having the option of entering sepia toned images for challenges. Please may I have any additional challenges by Wednesday (13th March) evening?
I'll summarise members opinions the next day so that we can get cracking with the next topic.

Jack

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2013 - 11:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 7613 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 11:50 AM

Sepia is monochromatic - I personally see no reason why this cannot be acceptable. The processing of old black and white film also encompassed sepia toning. I can just look at old images of my great grandparents and find sepia images among them.

JawDborn
12 Mar 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thank you Anne. I've been looking at some back copies of "Black and White Photography." They all contain sepia toned images.
Hope all is well in Texas. It's still atrocious winter weather over here, with motorists being stuck for over 8 hours on a motorway. Brrrrrr!

Jack

shakeyhands
shakeyhands e2 Member 2256 forum postsshakeyhands vcard Canada
12 Mar 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi All, One question. Grin So would rule #4 be rewritten to state B+W and Sepia only, so as to not open the way for other tone and filter effects?

Shakey

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 7613 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 12:48 PM

Black and white images can be toned with selenium toners, coffee coloured toners etc. It doesn't make them not black and white. At least that's how I see it Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 12:51 PM

Ah, the thorny question - when is sepia not sepia? Here are a couple from my website. The sepia is not the same... some might argue the one on the right isn't actually sepia. It's a whole new world of discussion and controversy! Grin

sepia.jpg

blastedkane
12 Mar 2013 - 1:12 PM

when I was working in the darkroom with silver halide I loved sepia, blue, copper and split toning and all would have been classed as monochrome. I think that all of these traditional techniques work within the "Monochrome" world. Maybe the question should be "is this the pure black and white group or is it the Monochrome group" and if so do we need a "toners" group

JawDborn
12 Mar 2013 - 2:18 PM

We are simply deciding whether or not to CONTINUE to accept sepia toned images in the b&w challenge group. Duotone/ split tone are still not acceptable, as by definition they are not monotone/ monochrome.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 2:21 PM

Thats a bit silly Smile

JawDborn
12 Mar 2013 - 2:26 PM

In the same way the colour green covers a range of green tones, and the colour blue covers a range of blue tones, so the colour sepia covers a range of sepia tones. The B and W group accepted sepia without changing the name of the group, or engaging in the semantics of the word 'sepia'.

JawDborn
12 Mar 2013 - 2:28 PM

I find you remark offensive, paul.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 2:33 PM

No need, its just a silly rule.

Colour tinted B&W is still B&W.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 2:43 PM

'Black and white' is a subset of monochrome, so technically speaking sepia would be excluded in any strict definition. You could always rename the group!

JawDborn
12 Mar 2013 - 2:47 PM

I agree, Glenn. But how, apart fom starting another group?

blastedkane
12 Mar 2013 - 2:49 PM

Maybe this needs to remain the Black and White group and only accept Black and white images. We could then start a "Traditional Monochrome processes" Group (someone may be able to come up with a better name) in which all images that had a hint of colour which is akin to traditional silver halide processing (Toned, split toned, Duo toned, Hand Tinted)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.