Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sepia Images O.K.?

JawDborn e2
2 764 England
12 Mar 2013 2:52PM
Thank you for your comment, Rob. Any views on rob's suggestion?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
12 Mar 2013 2:53PM
Keeping it B&W only seems the simplest option. Wink
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 2:57PM
For a moment it seemed obvious, if it starts from a black and white negative, it's black and white.
If it doesn't start from a black and white negative, then it isn't.
Then I realised there might be a digital flaw in that reasoning (!)

I've assumed that when people say black and white, that's what they mean, and when they say monochrome that's what they mean, and the two things are quite different. Obviously cyanotype isn't B&W, but it is monochrome.

But I've a feeling I'm just contributing to the prolongation of agony, and the group have already decided a practical compromise.
JawDborn e2
2 764 England
12 Mar 2013 3:01PM
The NCPF. Rules that monochrome cannot include both black and another colour(which includes sepia.)
Ergo sepia is not black!!! And colour tinting is NOT black and white.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
12 Mar 2013 3:04PM

Quote:I agree, Glenn. But how, apart fom starting another group?

Just edit the group page Smile
blastedkane 9 66 2
12 Mar 2013 3:13PM
I think that there is already a group running that could work with non "pure" black and white

http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/mono-enthusiasts-group-806

teh description says

Quote:This is a group for serious Mono enthusiasts to share images and techniques used . The group welcomes photographs (both digital and film) taken in black & white or colour that have been converted.
Toned images are very welcome.

I would therefore propose that this group stays pure black and white (and shades of grey) and that all toned and tinted images are added to the mono enthusiasts group
petebfrance 2 1.3k France
12 Mar 2013 3:37PM
I'd be happy with including:
a) 'Black and White' only i.e. shades of grey.
or
b) 'Black and White' and 'sepia' as an attempt to imitate faded old black and white photos.

Not sure any others really belong in a Black and White group.

But, having said (well, alright, typed that) my preference would be for pure Black and White / Shades of grey. It's an art in itself, and it would be sad to see it swamped by colour. It took ages to get the effect I wanted in my pic, but then turing it into a sepia toned oldie took about 2 minutes in Photoscape (downloaded it a few days ago Smile
ormaybeold.jpg

Whether or not there should be more scope in 'another' competition group (the existing Monochrome Group or a new one) is another matter and worth discussing.
JawDborn e2
2 764 England
12 Mar 2013 3:48PM
Thank you Pete. Valuable points for discussion.Smile

Jack
mervyntattoo 5 208 Wales
12 Mar 2013 4:00PM
Sepia is not black or white, it's just horrid.
JawDborn e2
2 764 England
12 Mar 2013 5:32PM
I note that Sandgrouse, the B&W challenge group founder, accepted a sepia tinted photo in the very first challenge. Sepia photos have been appearing sporadically ever since without causing problems.
petebfrance 2 1.3k France
12 Mar 2013 6:18PM
It's a shame that we can't just leave things as they are with people occasionally putting a sepia one in if they want (oh, all right, a toned one in) and then it's up to the person judging that week. That's how it would be now if nobody had questioned it in the first place. It's nice not having rules / restrictions etc...
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
12 Mar 2013 6:20PM
I any comp I've ever come across, club and others, one colour or tone is allowed so I don't see why we should be any different.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
12 Mar 2013 6:20PM
. . . leave them in.
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
12 Mar 2013 7:55PM
Monochrome:

A photograph or picture developed or executed in black and white or in varying tones of only one color.
JawDborn e2
2 764 England
12 Mar 2013 8:23PM
Thank you Anne. I think there will be white smoke coming out of the group's chimney by tomorrow night.Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.