Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sepia Images O.K.?

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
12 Mar 2013 8:32PM
So why after all this time, you want to change the rules.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
12 Mar 2013 9:03PM
No body has said we want to change the rules, Paul. We are simply considering democratically a suggestion that we may wish to change the rules. See discussions in this week's forum topic.
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
12 Mar 2013 9:12PM
My opinion is that the majority of images entered are black and white and are all judged on the same basis by whoever judges.
There should be no preference given just because an image has been toned. I would certainly judge a toned image as if it were black and white.
Therefore I personally see no point in entering a toned image, if I thought a toned version was worthy showing I would do that in the gallery as a version set.

Ken.
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
12 Mar 2013 9:13PM
Thank you, Ken. Another valuable contribution to the debate..Smile

Cheers,

Jack
12 Mar 2013 11:15PM
AH Yes the Coffin full of Worms lol. Good evening or good morning everyone (depending on when you are reading this). The search definition of B+W vs Sepia results I got was.... B+W is Black and White to include shades of Grey. Sepia photography is dark brown to rusty looking in colour Sad. I feel if we are to allow sepia then we simply need to tweek the name of the group and rule 4 a wee bit or let the challenge name and rule 4 stand and let the judge of the week decide if other tones are acceptable.

Mervyntattoo I agree that sepia is not B+WGrin but sorry I must disagree with "horrid". I find that Sepia has it's place and when applied to the right shot can be outstanding.Grin

Shakey
12 Mar 2013 11:34PM
Sorry , Just thought I would repost my search results in here also Grin I am fine with what ever the final decision is but will most likely continue to upload B+W shots only.

Shakey
scrimmy e2
6 379 5 Scotland
13 Mar 2013 1:42AM
may I draw your attention to rule 9 and to this
13 Mar 2013 1:53AM
Good Point Scrimmy, on both, rule 9 and the link.GrinGrin

Shakey
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
13 Mar 2013 7:55AM

Quote:The intensity of a pixel is expressed within a given range between a minimum and a maximum, inclusive. This range is represented in an abstract way as a range from 0 (total absence, black) and 1 (total presence, white), with any fractional values in between

I quite like sepia though Blush
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
13 Mar 2013 9:26AM
Thanks for the link Scrimmy. It's made all the discussion seem worthwhile.aGrinGrinBlush
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
13 Mar 2013 9:59AM
Taking up Paul's and Scrimmy's points, nobody has explained clearly ( or otherwise) to me what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 10:03AM
Sepia has a long and honourable tradition in photography as a monochrome format; I would leave things as they are. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
13 Mar 2013 10:15AM

Quote:Taking up Paul's and Scrimmy's points, nobody has explained clearly ( or otherwise) to me what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?

If I may direct the right honourable gentleman's attention to rule 4. It all depends on how purist you want to be, I guess - but do a few rules and 'fun' have to be mutually exclusive?

Sepia and B&W have something in common - they're often used in the absence of any real image content rather than to accentuate it.
JawDborn e2
2 793 1 England
13 Mar 2013 10:23AM
Rule 4 has been there since the group started, glenn. So have occasional sepia toned prints.
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 10:37AM

Quote:.......what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?

Yep, I vote for that Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.