Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sepia Images O.K.?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315197 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 8:32 PM

So why after all this time, you want to change the rules.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2013 - 8:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2728 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
12 Mar 2013 - 9:03 PM

No body has said we want to change the rules, Paul. We are simply considering democratically a suggestion that we may wish to change the rules. See discussions in this week's forum topic.

rambler
rambler e2 Member 6469 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2013 - 9:12 PM

My opinion is that the majority of images entered are black and white and are all judged on the same basis by whoever judges.
There should be no preference given just because an image has been toned. I would certainly judge a toned image as if it were black and white.
Therefore I personally see no point in entering a toned image, if I thought a toned version was worthy showing I would do that in the gallery as a version set.

Ken.

JawDborn
12 Mar 2013 - 9:13 PM

Thank you, Ken. Another valuable contribution to the debate..Smile

Cheers,

Jack

shakeyhands
shakeyhands e2 Member 2252 forum postsshakeyhands vcard Canada
12 Mar 2013 - 11:15 PM

AH Yes the Coffin full of Worms lol. Good evening or good morning everyone (depending on when you are reading this). The search definition of B+W vs Sepia results I got was.... B+W is Black and White to include shades of Grey. Sepia photography is dark brown to rusty looking in colour Sad. I feel if we are to allow sepia then we simply need to tweek the name of the group and rule 4 a wee bit or let the challenge name and rule 4 stand and let the judge of the week decide if other tones are acceptable.

Mervyntattoo I agree that sepia is not B+WGrin but sorry I must disagree with "horrid". I find that Sepia has it's place and when applied to the right shot can be outstanding.Grin

Shakey

shakeyhands
12 Mar 2013 - 11:34 PM

Sorry , Just thought I would repost my search results in here also Grin I am fine with what ever the final decision is but will most likely continue to upload B+W shots only.

Shakey

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 6365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 1:42 AM

may I draw your attention to rule 9 and to this

shakeyhands
13 Mar 2013 - 1:53 AM

Good Point Scrimmy, on both, rule 9 and the link.GrinGrin

Shakey

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104015 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 7:55 AM

Quote: The intensity of a pixel is expressed within a given range between a minimum and a maximum, inclusive. This range is represented in an abstract way as a range from 0 (total absence, black) and 1 (total presence, white), with any fractional values in between

I quite like sepia though Blush

JawDborn
13 Mar 2013 - 9:26 AM

Thanks for the link Scrimmy. It's made all the discussion seem worthwhile.aGrinGrinBlush

JawDborn
13 Mar 2013 - 9:59 AM

Taking up Paul's and Scrimmy's points, nobody has explained clearly ( or otherwise) to me what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7537 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 - 10:03 AM

Sepia has a long and honourable tradition in photography as a monochrome format; I would leave things as they are. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 10:15 AM

Quote: Taking up Paul's and Scrimmy's points, nobody has explained clearly ( or otherwise) to me what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?

If I may direct the right honourable gentleman's attention to rule 4. It all depends on how purist you want to be, I guess - but do a few rules and 'fun' have to be mutually exclusive?

Sepia and B&W have something in common - they're often used in the absence of any real image content rather than to accentuate it.

JawDborn
13 Mar 2013 - 10:23 AM

Rule 4 has been there since the group started, glenn. So have occasional sepia toned prints.

petebfrance
13 Mar 2013 - 10:37 AM

Quote: .......what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?

Yep, I vote for that Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.