Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sepia Images O.K.?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6612 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 11:36 AM

Quote: Taking up Paul's and Scrimmy's points, nobody has explained clearly ( or otherwise) to me what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?

It's only a problem if you're a ##@&*&^%%$%# Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Mar 2013 - 11:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gary66
Gary66  1158 forum posts England
13 Mar 2013 - 12:00 PM

How about the host for the week's challenge states whether he/she will accept sepia images or if you want to take it further digitally enhanced photos, that way each week you know exactly what your challenge requires.
just a thought.
Jack sorry to have opened this can of worms for this weeks challenge.

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6612 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 12:03 PM

Quote: How about the host for the week's challenge states whether he/she will accept sepia images or if you want to take it further digitally enhanced photos, that way each week you know exactly what your challenge requires.
just a thought.
Jack sorry to have opened this can of worms for this weeks challenge.

No, that would just add more confusion and rules.

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2735 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
14 Mar 2013 - 5:46 PM

Active members have expressed overwhelmingly an opinion that there is no need for change. As one member said “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
The B&W challenge group has always had the rule “All images must be in Black and White,” nevertheless it has always accepted sepia toned images. So let this continue. However bear in mind that not all members like sepia, and some no doubt wish no sepia images were allowed. They seem willing to tolerate the sepia photos for the sake of the common good. But if you upload a sepia image remember that the judge may not like sepia images.
Duotones images are a different kettle of fish. There have been one or two in the past. However the PAGB and no doubt other leading Photographic bodies consider Duotone images to be colour images. Let us fall into line with them, i.e. no duotone images.
The question of digital “enhancing” is to my mind a red herring. Or perhaps sepia herring? Many cameras nowadays are capable of digital enhancing, and some may even consider conversion to B&W to be digital enhancing. Members can please themselves as to whether or not to digitally “enhance” photo. A non-digitally enhanced B&W splinter group would be stillborn, I expect.
Now a plea. Please may we now follow our very own vampire’s advice and observe rule 9?Smile

Gary66
Gary66  1158 forum posts England
14 Mar 2013 - 6:06 PM

I'm glad you have chosen to keep sepia images, sometimes it just adds to a photo. Smile

AnneWorner
14 Mar 2013 - 6:10 PM

If someone uploaded an excellent sepia image, even though I might not like sepia, I guarantee that I would not let something like this cloud my vision - I sincerely hope others do not bias against an image simply because it is sepia toned, or selenium toned, or coffee toned. Sometimes toning can give a timeless look to an image - I find this especially so with sepia.

OK, bring 'em on!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64445 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2013 - 6:40 PM

I've also seen photographs "colour popped" (something I'm really not keen on) and as it was just a small, single-coloured object/area, it was still allowed in competitions, club and magazine.

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2735 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
14 Mar 2013 - 7:05 PM

Depends on the competition, perhaps, Chris. The NCPF used to allow black and white and a colour for mono. Then it was decided that black was a colour, so it was white and just one 'colour.' for mono competitions. At school I was taught that black is NOT a colour, but is an absence of colour!!

Regards,,

Jack

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64445 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2013 - 7:13 PM

Oh well, it's take your pick then. Grin

petebfrance
14 Mar 2013 - 7:16 PM

I'm glad that's sorted.

By the way, for the record, when I mentioned that it would not be necessary to consider this were it not for the fact that people asked the question about entering Sepia-toned images it was not meant as a criticism of Gary.
On the 'Dereliction and Decay challenge' I also asked whether or not sepia was acceptable.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.