Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sepia Images O.K.?

AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
13 Mar 2013 11:36AM

Quote:Taking up Paul's and Scrimmy's points, nobody has explained clearly ( or otherwise) to me what is wrong in keeping things the same as they have been for the last two years or so. Why is the occasional sepia tinted entry a problem?

It's only a problem if you're a ##@&*&^%%$%# Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gary66 2 158 England
13 Mar 2013 12:00PM
How about the host for the week's challenge states whether he/she will accept sepia images or if you want to take it further digitally enhanced photos, that way each week you know exactly what your challenge requires.
just a thought.
Jack sorry to have opened this can of worms for this weeks challenge.
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
13 Mar 2013 12:03PM

Quote:How about the host for the week's challenge states whether he/she will accept sepia images or if you want to take it further digitally enhanced photos, that way each week you know exactly what your challenge requires.
just a thought.
Jack sorry to have opened this can of worms for this weeks challenge.

No, that would just add more confusion and rules.
JawDborn e2
2 764 England
14 Mar 2013 5:46PM
Active members have expressed overwhelmingly an opinion that there is no need for change. As one member said “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
The B&W challenge group has always had the rule “All images must be in Black and White,” nevertheless it has always accepted sepia toned images. So let this continue. However bear in mind that not all members like sepia, and some no doubt wish no sepia images were allowed. They seem willing to tolerate the sepia photos for the sake of the common good. But if you upload a sepia image remember that the judge may not like sepia images.
Duotones images are a different kettle of fish. There have been one or two in the past. However the PAGB and no doubt other leading Photographic bodies consider Duotone images to be colour images. Let us fall into line with them, i.e. no duotone images.
The question of digital “enhancing” is to my mind a red herring. Or perhaps sepia herring? Many cameras nowadays are capable of digital enhancing, and some may even consider conversion to B&W to be digital enhancing. Members can please themselves as to whether or not to digitally “enhance” photo. A non-digitally enhanced B&W splinter group would be stillborn, I expect.
Now a plea. Please may we now follow our very own vampire’s advice and observe rule 9?Smile
Gary66 2 158 England
14 Mar 2013 6:06PM
I'm glad you have chosen to keep sepia images, sometimes it just adds to a photo. Smile
AnneWorner e2
7 614 42 United States
14 Mar 2013 6:10PM
If someone uploaded an excellent sepia image, even though I might not like sepia, I guarantee that I would not let something like this cloud my vision - I sincerely hope others do not bias against an image simply because it is sepia toned, or selenium toned, or coffee toned. Sometimes toning can give a timeless look to an image - I find this especially so with sepia.

OK, bring 'em on!
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
14 Mar 2013 6:40PM
I've also seen photographs "colour popped" (something I'm really not keen on) and as it was just a small, single-coloured object/area, it was still allowed in competitions, club and magazine.
JawDborn e2
2 764 England
14 Mar 2013 7:05PM
Depends on the competition, perhaps, Chris. The NCPF used to allow black and white and a colour for mono. Then it was decided that black was a colour, so it was white and just one 'colour.' for mono competitions. At school I was taught that black is NOT a colour, but is an absence of colour!!

Regards,,

Jack
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
14 Mar 2013 7:13PM
Oh well, it's take your pick then. Grin
petebfrance 2 1.3k France
14 Mar 2013 7:16PM
I'm glad that's sorted.

By the way, for the record, when I mentioned that it would not be necessary to consider this were it not for the fact that people asked the question about entering Sepia-toned images it was not meant as a criticism of Gary.
On the 'Dereliction and Decay challenge' I also asked whether or not sepia was acceptable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.