Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Serial Quitters

spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
1 Apr 2009 2:43PM
EPZ members storming off in a huff and deleting their portfolios isn't uncommon and some have even turned it into an artform. Fine, that's their prerogative. What's not fine is expecting other people to give up their time to comment, critique or modify someone else's work only to see their efforts obliterated when the recipient decides to have yet another flounce.

If you're one of these serial quitters please don't complain if, upon your eventual return, your work receives little interest. I, for one, am no longer prepared to waste my time on you.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
12 9.2k 92
1 Apr 2009 2:45PM
What's the difference between quitting and just archiving or deleting some images?

So does the above also go for people that have a clear out without storming off in a huff?
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
1 Apr 2009 2:58PM
I'm talking specifically about the people who make a habit of storming off. First they're here, then they're gone, then they're here, then they're gone..........
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
1 Apr 2009 3:19PM
But they make the site more interesting and the threads on the boards come to life when the toys get thrown out the pram Smile
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
1 Apr 2009 3:52PM

Quote:First they're here, then they're gone, then they're here, then they're gone..........

Maybe we call them yoyos Wink

Quote:they make the site more interesting and the threads on the boards come to life

It's such a shame that those sort of threads, or click, or religion/war/politics create such enthusiasm when we could be having rich lively debate about photography.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
1 Apr 2009 3:55PM
I have never complained about no comments, I never asked for any comments, and I believe you will find I checked the box years ago for no critique. I have said dozens of times on here that I would rather have a clean gallery; posting a couple images infrequently, so that's my philosophy on it. I'm not hiding anything, you know what I do, at least till my E2 runs out.

Quote:It's such a shame that those sort of threads, or click, or religion/war/politics create such enthusiasm when we could be having rich lively debate about photography.

Where?
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2009 4:00PM
I agree .... surely a rich lively debate about photography is a total contradiction of terms? Smile
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
1 Apr 2009 4:05PM

Quote:It's such a shame that those sort of threads, or click, or religion/war/politics create such enthusiasm when we could be having rich lively debate about photography.

Agree and I was being sarcastic Wink only problem is when they become lively then peeps loose the plot and toys go flying again lol.. Smile

There is a lot info on the forums but not as often as I would like to see to be honest...
BubbaG2000 7 767 1
1 Apr 2009 4:05PM
Right, that's it, I'm off...
Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
1 Apr 2009 4:15PM

Quote:surely a rich lively debate about photography is a total contradiction of terms?

We've had a few good ones - stuff like overcooking post processing and HDR have had some milage, subject abuse is another one that's popular (do a search for lindesfarne - that usually get mentioned) and there's a couple on vision and originality that are ticking over at the moment.

I'd agree that kit discussions are pretty turgid, I usually hide those topics as fast as possible - I really don't care how the 5D fronts up to the D300, I'm more interested in what you put in front of them and how you go about making the photo!

I've been putting together a few Blogs on 4togsblog about photographters getting bogged down in subjects/kit and may start a thread on one of those subjects.

I've got a personal project called "Cliche Avoidance" going on at the moment which probably wouldn't get discussed at length in the forums, so I've not bothered with that yet... one day soon, maybe...
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2009 4:16PM
I am miserable and refuse to delete my images.

and if you really want to have those images with you, even when off-line, you are welcome to buy my book.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
1 Apr 2009 4:33PM
"Cliche Avoidance" wouldn't last the day, it'd be locked. Someone could start another word association thread, or song association, or sit at the PC with water dripping on their forehead.Wink
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2009 4:38PM
Oh dear - I thought this was a thread about people giving up Weetabix - got quite excited for a few moments Sad
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
1 Apr 2009 4:52PM
I don't consider myself a serial quitter as such, but I do clean out my PF on a regular basis. The only time I wasn't on here every day was a couple times I had to send the PC out for service. I do refrain from posting at times, because it gets too personal, and I don't want to increase my medication just for that.Wink I see Pete's point, but a perusal of the forum threads of the past week will give you some idea why we don't have rich photography discussions on here. To do that, we'd all have to leave, and you'd have to bring in all new members, because for us, photography leads to clicks and votes and critique, no critique, comments, no comments, awards, no awards......how many times can one get excited about that.

We can't even get excited about quantum physics, to some people's chagrin.Wink
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
1 Apr 2009 4:53PM

Quote:or sit at the PC with water dripping on their forehead

Not water. Just pictures of Buchaille-sodding-Etive-bl**dy-Mor....

Or Lindisfarne...
Or Herringfleet-effing-Mill...
Or Southwold-bleeding-pier....
Or Dunstanburgh...

Fortunately, Curbar and Kimmeridge are out of the running at the mo. Perhaps it's the wrong season or summat.

Britain has much fine upland scenery and thousands of miles of coastline - some of which is indeed very photogenic. So get out there and explore some of it!!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.