Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Serious Compact Camera with viewfinder

khedarin 7 9 Australia
5 Jan 2013 8:12PM
Just looking for a bit of advice please. I usually shoot with a Canon 40d with L lenses. However, for use when travelling lightly overseas, I am looking to purchase a serious compact. I can't consider anything without a viewfinder or RAW capability. I am thinking of the Canon G15. Can anyone suggest any other compacts that I should consider? I don't really want to go with a whole new system of mirrorless so am ruling these out. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I did look through the forum but couldn't find anything that would help me.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Jan 2013 10:02PM
As you already use a Canon DSLR you need only the G15 (I also have a EOS 40D & 7D and a G12) that way you don't need to mess about learning a new RAW software as the G15 is also the same CR2 File format.
Hope this helps.
pablophotographer 3 464 185
5 Jan 2013 10:18PM
Fujifilm x10 maybe?
5 Jan 2013 10:55PM
x10 is a very good camera - with 2/3" sensor and fast lens it is capable of taking seriously good images. But as everything good it does not come without some drawbacks. First and most important might be it's proprietary RAW format. It is...specific, and the only software that is capable of taking the best of it is Silkypix (or it's abridged version included with the camera). All the rest of programs struggle with Fujifilm RAW with results often pronounced as "substandard". Most of the trouble comes with sharpening - as it quickly brings out some sort of reticulated structure to the image. Also, a few quality control issues were brought up about the camera, but quite often it is hard to say what is real , and what is a result of an excessively picky user.
But in general the camera is good and with excellent quality JPG coming out of it - does one need a RAW in a small sensor camera at all?

However, taking into account that the original poster already owns Canon DSLR and has everything tuned for Canon "ecosystem" (software, workflow, etc) - Canon G15 looks like a more reasonable choice. It is simpler to use than x10, fits well into it's "older brother" environment and, honestly, not that much different from x10 image quality-wise.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Jan 2013 11:16PM

Quote:But as everything good it does not come without some drawbacks. First and most important might be it's proprietary RAW format. It is...specific, and the only software that is capable of taking the best of it is Silkypix (or it's abridged version included with the camera). All the rest of programs struggle with Fujifilm RAW with results often pronounced as "substandard". Most of the trouble comes with sharpening - as it quickly brings out some sort of reticulated structure to the image. Also, a few quality control issues were brought up about the camera, but quite often it is hard to say what is real , and what is a result of an excessively picky user.
But in general the camera is

Where did you read that pile of crap.

These three are by far the best in my book

Fuji X10, Panasonic LX7, or Olympus XZ-2, the later two don`t have a viewfinders but take a separate evf instead,
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2013 11:28PM
Currys/PC World currently have the G12 on offer for 279 - meets your requirements but a significant saving. Still I suspect the G15 has a bigger sensor and better ISO performance.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Jan 2013 11:42PM
Adam I don`t think they have PC world and Currys Smile

Here`s a few x10 blogs and reviews

http://invisiblephotographer.asia/2012/01/24/streetphotography-japan-fujix10-part1/

http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/10-things-i-love-about-the-fujifilm-x10/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj25re-1UpM&list=PL26ECB52BB9F7FB3F&index=1

http://thex10blog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/lightroom-4-and-raf-fuji-raw-files.html
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
6 Jan 2013 12:53AM
khedarin 7 9 Australia
6 Jan 2013 1:26AM
Thank you very much to all for taking the time to reply and advise. Unfortunately I can't pop over to Curry's as I live in Australia but I can get the G15 for a good price here. But I will look at the others recommended before I decide. I can see the advantage for sticking with Canon as I am already very familiar with the software etc. Thanks again.
6 Jan 2013 6:22AM

Quote:Where did you read that pile of crap.

I get my knowledge first - hand , and do not limit people's information sources to a number of internet links carefully chosen for agreement with predefined agenda . Everyone who can use Google may check on what I wrote - even without having a camera itself.
stevie e2
10 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 7:51AM
I've not used the G15 but for a long time I've had a G12 for when I don't want to take one of my DSLRs.
Here is an example of what it can do.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
6 Jan 2013 9:17AM
another vote for the G12 , i bought mine to use on holiday's i use it all the time when there now, just gutted they bought out the G15 about two months later . i will not change now though because i think the G12 fills my needs .
i still take my DSLR & lens's just in case though. Wink
tpfkapm 3 146 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 10:49AM
my 40d broke down on holiday and my g11 really did save the day
i would guess the g15 is even better
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Jan 2013 12:35PM
For travelling light, have you considered a Sigma 18-200mm lens for your Canon SLR? It avoids carting a 3 or 4 lenses about and probably does not weight very much more than a compact.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
6 Jan 2013 6:17PM

Quote:I get my knowledge first - hand , and do not limit people's information sources to a number of internet links carefully chosen for agreement with predefined agenda

Why not just ask those that actually use the camera, there are plenty on here Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.