Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Serious computer problem following virus removal

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 12:03 PM

Help! Sad

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium with McAfee Antivirus

I got a virus on my PC yesterday: the "Antivirus Vista 2010". McAfee managed to remove it (well 'quarantine' it anyway) but following the removal various things are not working properly - including System Restore!

Some of my desktop icons when click show Application not Found. For all but two application icons I have tried (including System Restore, Disk Cleanup etc) I get the Open With dialogue box, which is of course inappropriate for an application.

I cannot even open the McAfee Security Centre. But Internet Explorer and Windows Mail seem to be working OK and I am also able to open my data files.

It is worrying that I can open neither System Restore nor the McAfee centre.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2010 - 12:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 113062 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 12:15 PM

If you can see the files in your system restore, google them to see what they are. Every now and then antivirus software can delete what is known as " false positives" these can be proper files but the software thinks they are a virus. This may not be the case though. Can you get into safe mode?

Ken

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
2 Mar 2010 - 12:23 PM

Sounds like McAfee did, not do a great job of removing it, as it does disable things like you AV program and restore function.

This page might be of help.

Personally I would use this as a good excuse to get rid of Vista and do a clean install of Win 7.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 12:26 PM

I can't get into system restore at all. I just get the Open With dialogue box when attempting to start it. Can I get to see the files in another way?

I think I know how to get into safe mode (hold down F8 while booting?) but I've never done it - and not sure what to do once I've done it.

McAfee quarantined two files when removing the virus. I suspect one of them should not have been disabled but there is no quarantine folder and I can't open McAfee either!

Last Modified By Carabosse at 2 Mar 2010 - 12:32 PM
Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 12:27 PM

See here it's tricky to remove.

Carabosse
2 Mar 2010 - 12:32 PM

The actual virus is no longer a problem (well seemingly not - the symptoms have gone) but its removal seems to have created the issues I have mentioned.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 2 Mar 2010 - 12:35 PM
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 12:41 PM

Quote: I think I know how to get into safe mode (hold down F8 while booting?) but I've never done it - and not sure what to do once I've done it.

keep pressing F8 until safe mode appears. It will grey the screen icons but should (will) allow you into the control panel.

Start/Control Panel/ System - haven't got Vista but you should find your restore points somewhere there. Perhaps Macafee has a restore point too?

Good luck

cambirder
2 Mar 2010 - 12:44 PM

Have you tried running a repair install (assuming you have the disk to do it)?

jakabout
jakabout  101741 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 1:23 PM

Quote: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is definitely worth a shot. I've seen it rescue systems from that kind of virus.

I'll second that - only thing that worked on my machines.

Carabosse
2 Mar 2010 - 2:02 PM

Well thank you guys - much appreciated. I knew I could rely on EPZ's IT expertise! Smile

What I did was start the PC from a recovery disk - starting in safe mode did not work properly.

I managed to get into System Restore via the disk..... but had a couple of moments of panic (Grin) when it (a) said the system restore wizard was already running! and (b) once it stopped saying that, it refused to restore to the immediately previous point - an error message was generated saying some file was missing. But, thankfully, I managed to get it to restore to the point before that (early-December).

I then had to re-update McAfee as that, although now accessible, it was saying I was not protected.

I really do not want this sort of thing to happen again!

So........ am I right in reading the above as suggesting I should ditch McAfee and install Malwarebytes as my AV?

I should add that I also have SpyNoMore which is (paid) anti-malware software, which I occasionally use to scan my drives.

A friend of mine has an identical PC and OS and uses AVG, which seems to have been effective. Is this an alternative?

cambirder
2 Mar 2010 - 2:15 PM

Quote: So........ am I right in reading the above as suggesting I should ditch McAfee and install Malwarebytes as my AV?

I think I'm right in saying its a removal tool rather than prevention one so I think you should also use another AV program.

Quote: A friend of mine has an identical PC and OS and uses AVG, which seems to have been effective. Is this an alternative?

I've used AVG for years without any problems so I continue to stick with it, but others might disagree that its the best option. Avast also seems to be a popular choice these days

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 2:15 PM

Quote: So........ am I right in reading the above as suggesting I should ditch McAfee and install Malwarebytes as my AV?

I should add that I also have SpyNoMore which is (paid) anti-malware software, which I occasionally use to scan my drives.

Malawarebytes is not an anti virus programme

SpyNoMore was at one time on the rogue tool list. It is still considered dubious by some see here for example

Last Modified By Henchard at 2 Mar 2010 - 2:17 PM
Carabosse
2 Mar 2010 - 2:22 PM

OK, so something like AVG + Malawarebytes could be a better combination than my current McAfee + SpyNoMore?

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122211 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 2:42 PM

I run the full version of AVG and had no problems until last week. A friend of mine suggested running Malwarebytes which immediately picked up the culprit. It seems there is no one program that will cover all bases. He runs Malwarebytes once a week along with AVG free software plus Spybot. I concur about moving up to Windows 7 by the way.

Malcolm

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104005 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2010 - 2:44 PM

I'll second Avast!...has already stopped one trojan Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.