Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Serious Mono group

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3209 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2012 - 10:16 PM

Would anybody be interested in a "serious" mono group ?
By serious I mean images which are not normal snapshots converted to mono but images which explore and celebrate the medium.
I would envisage a culture of constructive critique whilst not being averse to "saying as it is".
Visualising a scene in mono needs a different approach which is not always appreciated.
Each image uploaded would include details of the conversion process to enable others to learn new techniques.
In my time here I have seen some outstanding, inspiring mono images which do not (in my view) receive the recognition they deserve and tend to get lost in the normal gallery.
Apologies if this has been tried before but I am sure that there are some "serious" mono photographers who may be interested.
My reasons for suggesting this is that I am very keen to learn from any like minded Mono enthusiasts.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jul 2012 - 10:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2012 - 10:48 PM

Mono photography is an unbelievable technique, which if done to it's true potential, is totally different to colour. With B & W it's all about tones and highlights and getting it right can sometimes be much more difficult than a colour image. Unfortunately a lot of photographers tend to steer away from it, as many have never been brought up on it or even understand it. I must admit, I'm not a big image taker in B & W, but when I look at some of the work that is done, it makes me want to do a little more on the subject. From what I've read on B & W photography, they say you should shoot in colour and then turn the shots into B & W, whether this is correct I don't know, but I will give it a try tomorrow and take a shot in colour, then turn it into a B & W image in Photoshop. I'll also put my camera to take the same image in B & W and see if there's any discernible difference.
Stephen

waylandtb
waylandtb  325 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'd be interested in this group. I'm really getting back into mono these days

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2012 - 11:13 PM

trouble is we struggle to get much activity in the B&W group, let alone becoming `serious' about the subject. Or perhaps it is because the subject isn't treated seriously enough that it doesn't get the attention it deserves. I agree that mono shots rarely attract much attention in the gallery but then epz seems to have become somewhat generalist in it's approach.

andy_AHG
andy_AHG  5106 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2012 - 11:14 PM

Yes! This is something that EPZ has been lacking. A lot of great mono images don't seem to get the attention that they deserve. Count me in.

gjfereday
gjfereday  246 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 - 11:21 PM

I think it's a good idea & certainly something I'd like to learn more about!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2012 - 11:29 PM

If you can get a group going and get some momentum I'm happy to include it in our newsletter to help its growth - likewise with any other group.

One thing you could do is continue the project idea I started with this group where you discuss a famous black & white image... and maybe even try to recreate it with your own interpretation.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2012 - 11:40 PM

Quote: One thing you could do is continue the project idea I started with this group where you discuss a famous black & white image... and maybe even try to recreate it with your own interpretation.

not wishing to throw cold water on this, but that group ground to a halt some time ago.....

woulkd it be useful to run a poll to see what the interest is?

Digby
Digby e2 Member 541 forum postsDigby vcard Wales
16 Jul 2012 - 11:55 PM

It might just be better if there was a dedicated Black & White Gallery.

Last Modified By Digby at 17 Jul 2012 - 12:13 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2012 - 12:09 AM

There is a dedicated black & white gallery with over 100,000 photos in it Smile
But a group brings focus to specific aspects of photography

Quote: not wishing to throw cold water on this, but that group ground to a halt some time ago.....

No reason why someone cant take it by the horns and resurrect it.

Digby
Digby e2 Member 541 forum postsDigby vcard Wales
17 Jul 2012 - 12:22 AM

Quote: There is a dedicated black & white gallery with over 100,000 photos in it Smile Where?
But a group brings focus to specific aspects of photography

not wishing to throw cold water on this, but that group ground to a halt some time ago.....
No reason why someone cant take it by the horns and resurrect it.

Pete
17 Jul 2012 - 12:32 AM

Whoops, sorry, I forgot to add the link: Black & White Gallery

gonzalito
gonzalito e2 Member 4gonzalito vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2012 - 2:14 AM

Love this. Lets do it. Is this goung to be pure b&W OR mono? For example, would toned pgotos be accepted ?

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3209 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2012 - 6:58 AM

Quote: would toned photos be accepted ?

As it would be a group for serious, creative mono, toned images would be very acceptable.
I will put together a few guidlines this evening to see what people think.

chavender
17 Jul 2012 - 7:34 AM

Quote: There is a dedicated black & white gallery with over 100,000 photos in it

There are some real crackers in here Pete. Think how great it would be to have some info re conversion etc.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.