Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Servicing DSLRs

Ian Pratt 12 75
9 Jun 2007 10:51PM
I have had a Canon EOS 10D DSLR for over 3 years and taken several tens of thousands of photos.
I am concerned that the camera is over exposing so am using it at minus 1 to minus 1 2/3 stops.
Can anyone recommend the best way to have the camera serviced, and the likely cost? Is it best to return it to Canon as I have heard some horror stories about delays or just use the local camera shop?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Jun 2007 11:08PM
A bit of lateral thinking here - would this not be a good opportunity (funds permitting) to upgrade to a new DSLR rather than spending what will probably be quite a bit of cash on one which has already been superseded, twice over?

Just a thought. Smile
9 Jun 2007 11:15PM
Following on from CB:

Build up your funds until you have sufficient to make an upgrade.

Continue to use your existing camera until it is inconsistent in exposure, adjusting as you say.

Hopefully by the time the camera becomes too variable to use, you will be in a position to buy a much later, or newer, model.

jas
RCE 7 75
10 Jun 2007 10:55AM
Plus bet you could get a surprising amount for it on ebay, even after stating the fault.

Sounds like the the repair is likely not to be cheap, and even if repaired at 3 years other things are likely ready to fail. Do the math.

Cost of a new camera
- Repair cost of existing camera
- Sale price of existing camera on Ebay

Approx prices

New Canon 400
- Repair lets guess 100
- Sale on ebay lets guess 90

Both figures are conservative
cathal 10 492 4 Ireland
10 Jun 2007 12:24PM
Have a look on the web for a company called fixation. They are a Canon and Nikon service centre. They quote reasonable prices for repairs, so are probably a good port of call. I think from what you have said that your camera would probably be repaired for under 100.

You might be surprised at what you would get for you camera on ebay. Digital equipment has such a low resale value it is often not worth selling, particularly when it has been superseeded twice.

I have a D100 in need of a repair. Once funds allow it's going to fixation. When I can afford a D200 the D100 will then be converted to an IR body. While the resale value of the body is very low, it is worth more to me as a tool than the few pounds it would fetch. Despite its problem, it still takes as good a picture as it did when new.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.