Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Set up advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ray1
    ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2010 - 6:02 PM

I have a 3 ghz 4gb ram pc with xp and a macbook with 2.1 ghz core 2 duo with 4 gb of ram. I have been thinking about replacing the pc with an imac but not sure I want to invest that kind of money when the pc does the job just fine but I tend to use the macbook more these days. Anyway i have also been considering an IPS monitor as an alternative to the imac with a view of using it both with the pc and macbook with wireless keyboard and mouse for when the macbook is being used. I have PS on the pc and although I use this quite a bit I really only use the basics like levels, contrast, saturation, crop etc etc. With this in mind I have though that if the macbook option is the way to go I would install lightroom, aperture or even elements as something that would do the job and meet most my needs.

Has anyone used this sort of setup or got any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Apr 2010 - 6:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2010 - 6:24 PM

I have read this several times, And still trying to figure out what your trying to achieve..???

If you intend running the Mac & PC through one monitor, That should be no problem so long as the monitor has several inputs that can be calibrated seperatly.

As for a single mouse & keyboard to control both, You need a " KVM Switch " although I have no idea how well these work with " Wireless " equipment, Or for that matter under cross platform compatability, Although in theory Why not.....!!!!

As regards software, Your probably better of with Lightroom, Because its cross platform, Where Aperture can only run on an Apple machine....!!!!

If your serious about Lightroom, Don't rush out to buy it now, As a new version is on the horizon in the form of Lightroom 3......Smile

Whatever way you decide to go, TRY and keep it as simple as possible, Mixing and matching 2 completely different platforms is an overly complex way of working.....Wink

ray1
    6 Apr 2010 - 7:01 PM

The plan as it is in my head which is a scary place at the best of times is for the pc to remain for the moment and to be connected to the new monitor as a set up on its own. As I use the macbook more than the pc the second part of the plan is to buy a wireless mouse and keyboard for the macbook so I can simply plug the macbook into the monitor when needed, leaving the pc to one side. The pc would only then only really be used for PS when needed with the macbook having the flexibility of being used as a laptop and being mobile or connected to the monitor for when I want to process pictures simply via something like lightroom. Hopefully, I will then gain a quality monitor and get the most from the macbook for approx 400/500 as opposed to approx 1400 for an imac. That is of course if the macbook is up to the job.

Last Modified By ray1 at 6 Apr 2010 - 7:02 PM
    GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2010 - 7:37 PM

If your question really boils down to how good the iMac screen is - it's considered good enough by plenty of pro photographers. But the hard-core colour geeks or just those looking for extremely precise colour and calibration may look elsewhere (i.e at expensive NECs or Eizos with high-bit LUTs).

I believe the 27" iMac has an IPS panel?

The more cynical view is that Apple are consumer-pleasers, and don't produce professional-level displays, as such. But there are plenty of omniscient types on the internet who would probably beg to differ.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2010 - 8:34 PM

..... I think I missed the point by a country mile, here. I'm still not sure though why you don't just do most/all of your processing with the PC and a new monitor? Is there an advantage to hooking up the MacBook? Is the PC a desktop?

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2010 - 11:38 PM

Quote: I think I missed the point by a country mile, here

LOL....Smile Had me guessing too.....Grin

Quote: The plan as it is in my head which is a scary place at the best of times

I know that feeling.....Smile

But looking at your second post, That should work Ok.....A bit round the houses perhaps, But why the heck not.....Smile

Quote: But the hard-core colour geeks or just those looking for extremely precise colour and calibration may look elsewhere (i.e at expensive NECs or Eizos with high-bit LUTs).

Yup! That would be me then......Smile High spec NECs or Eizo displays.....Way to go....!!!

However I did give a HP monitor a chance based on some very impressive reviews.

So if your looking for a 24" S-IPS panel, In a heavy duty case, That calibrates well, Has more ports than your ever likely to need, Including HDMI, I recommend the HP LP2475w.

Can be found for around 400 quid, If you shop wisely......Wink

As a by the way, I noticed that some of the tutorials on " Adobe TV " the guys are using this HP model, Some hooked up to thier Apple computers too.....Wink That aside there are several reviews by Mac owners who are using the HP LP2475w connected to Macbooks.

Last Modified By cameracat at 6 Apr 2010 - 11:47 PM
    ray1
    7 Apr 2010 - 5:16 PM

Quote: ..... I think I missed the point by a country mile, here. I'm still not sure though why you don't just do most/all of your processing with the PC and a new monitor? Is there an advantage to hooking up the MacBook? Is the PC a desktop?

No advantage other than I prefer the mac system and plan at some point to fully make the change, however, I don't really want to spend money on something like an imac which is very tempting but I could make better use of the macbook as a interim measure. My monitor with my pc is quite old now and starting to fuzz lines etc so my thinking is to buy a good quality monitor that I can use with both system, make more use of the macbook and save myself some money.

I suppose the questions that I pose are:

Has anyone done this sort of thing and did they have any problems.

Is the macbook really up to the job with say lightroom or aperture.

Are the macbook graphics (onboard) not going to make the best use of say a good monitor like the 2475z (if I can get one or wait for the z24w)

Should I just bite the bullet and get a 27" imac or go for the 21".

Should I just leave things as they are and spend the money on beer and women.

Does anyone have an alternative solution (not the beer and women).

Have I just gone lala.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.