Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Set up Canon 7d

ruby34 3 16 Scotland
10 May 2012 6:52PM
I can set up the basics, but is there somewhere that will help me with the more techinical stuff?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ARIANA1985 3 27 United Kingdom
10 May 2012 6:58PM
Hi Ruby what exactly are you struggling with ? (i might be able to help with some things)
losbarbados 5 236 United Kingdom
10 May 2012 7:02PM
I can't add to anything here, but I'm getting myself a 7d in a week or so and I'd be interested in any set up tips etc.

So please accept my apologies, but I'm not sure how I can highlight the thread without adding to it.
ruby34 3 16 Scotland
10 May 2012 7:05PM
well the main menu is fine, but each one has other menus within it. For instance C.fnI:exposure etc Grin
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
10 May 2012 7:18PM
I think you need to sit down with a large cup of tea or coffee and use some time goingo through the manual, with the camera, so that you understand what all the choices are. The manual explains what the different settings do / are for.
They are far too many options to list here.
ruby34 3 16 Scotland
10 May 2012 7:19PM
I might even buy a big book!!! Thanks I will follow your advice.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
10 May 2012 7:30PM

Quote:I might even buy a big book!!! Thanks I will follow your advice.

I think you will find the manual is more than big enoughGrin
Going through all the settings is all part of getting to know the capabilities of the camera and possibilities open to you.
It is worth while. Think of it as learning the controls on a new car. You don't jump inn and go driving off withou familiarising yourself with all the pedals, buttons, switches and knobs...not to mention tuning the sound systemWink

Malc
10 May 2012 7:34PM
Hi, I have the Canon 7D
When I first bought it I watched Rudy Winstons Videos on the 7D HERE

Here is a wee blurb about him
Rudy Winston has over 14 years experience with Canon USA's Pro Products team, and has been responsible during that time for training Canon's staff on new products, creating presentations for customers and dealers, numerous writing projects, and providing technical assistance to professional and amateur photographers.

Enjoy it's a Great Camera Body.
ruby34 3 16 Scotland
10 May 2012 8:00PM
Oh thanks I will do that. I did as the manual said on my 40d and took dark photographs. then I met another photographer on a beach and he took my camera and looked at my settings and said 3 of them were wrong. He adjusted them for me, and from that day on I took photographs that were as they should be. I had even followed instructions in a book dedicated to the Canon 40d.
10 May 2012 8:09PM
It's a steep learning curve ruby Grin
The videos helped me get the set up I wanted and also speaking to other 7D users.
Good luck
ARIANA1985 3 27 United Kingdom
10 May 2012 8:45PM
when i first got my canon 7d - (moving from sony a200) i have find manual very useful - camera is very easy to use once you get to know what different menus do - in between tantrums Tongue i have finally managed to understand how to use it . it is worth to read manual , and check few videos online . play with camera , check how it responds to different settings , note what changes and have fun exploring all the functions x
ruby34 3 16 Scotland
10 May 2012 9:04PM
A big thanks to everyone for your help. If it stops raining, I will be out tomorrow for practise!
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
10 May 2012 10:11PM
go to google utube put type camera in lots of proff tell you ideas on set up
Dvaid 5 245 United Kingdom
11 May 2012 8:55AM
Too many menus, too many submenus, too many options. Just get used to the basic choices and leave the rest until you are familiar with the camera and its controls.

I suggest a book " Canon 7D from snapshots to great shots" by Nicole S Young ISBN 13 978 0 321 62482 6

A great book to get you started.

Its a super camera I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Best wishes. David
kevspiers 8 67
13 May 2012 11:06AM
As all have said the manual is a great place to start, however you are likely to get the fear of changing a setting as it might make the picture worse?

That said I used Deep Green Photographys set up as a good base setting. Two things happened for me 1, I got confident with custom functions. 2, I had a base setting 3, I was confident to stray from base settings as I new I could get back to a good base setting.

Have fun with your new toy, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Kev...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.